Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prostitution to be made il/legal

Options
  • 24-08-2012 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭

There are motions afoot to make prostitution legal in Ireland (that is, being a prostitute, which is currently illegal, will be made legal), and to make the payment of prostitutes (which is not currently illegal) against the law.

So the vendor will be legal but the consumer illegal.

I mean.. I don't even... :confused:

This is in a bid to undermine people trafficking into Ireland, ostensibly. It has not been mentioned whether prostitutes would be liable for taxation under this new ... proposal

Something something something SWEDEN

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Honestly cant see how this will make a difference. If they are doing this to prevent trafficking, what will this do to stop the traffickers?

Theres also the problem that groups like Ruhama often seem to greatly exaggerate the problem of trafficking in Ireland. How will this effect women who are doing this of there own free will?

Just seems like a lazy solution to the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

It's de-criminalising the women (& possibly men) who are prostitutes, and making the act of paying for prostitution illegal.

It's a very positive thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

Honestly cant see how this will make a difference. If they are doing this to prevent trafficking, what will this do to stop the traffickers?

their logic is to get at the traffickers they hit the consumer,that way the business they hope will go down the tubes..thats the idea thus far

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

OU812 wrote: »
    It's de-criminalising the women (& possibly men) who are prostitutes, and making the act of paying for prostitution illegal.

Why not regulate it with licensing (vetted, strict licensing) and criminalise people who pay for unlicensed prostitution?

Thereby decreasing demand for trafficked prostitutes and therefore less trafficked people to suffer and then also allowing those who choose of their own free will to continue to make a living from it?

• Site Banned Posts: 25 anniemcl

Legalised prostitution increases the slave trade in sex industry.

No doubt it's great news for anyone who can't get laid but it's bad news for eh...slave girls I suppose from poor countries and families who feel the need to sell their daughter off to pay some bank debts.

But hey...capitalism is the best.

Capitalism rocks for bankers with small dicks.

Why do you think men go to Thailand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

anniemcl wrote: »
    Legalised prostitution increases the slave trade in sex industry.

No doubt it's great news for anyone who can't get laid but it's bad news for eh...slave girls I suppose from poor countries and families who feel the need to sell their daughter off to pay some bank debts.

But hey...capitalism is the best.

Capitalism rocks for bankers with small dicks.

Why do you think men go to Thailand?

Eh is this in response to my post? Legalised and vetted prostitution would reduce illegal trafficked women more imo than criminalising the use of prostitutes by decreasing the actual desire for the black market sex trade. It would also allow women and men who wished to take part to do so with safeguards in place for both sides.
    How you license and vet it I don't have details to mind but I'm sure we could look to other states who have such legislation in place.

• Site Banned Posts: 25 anniemcl

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Eh is this in response to my post? Legalised and vetted prostitution would reduce illegal trafficked women more imo than criminalising the use of prostitutes by decreasing the actual desire for the black market sex trade. It would also allow women and men who wished to take part to do so with safeguards in place for both sides.
    How you license and vet it I don't have details to mind but I'm sure we could look to other states who have such legislation in place.

The solution is to stop forcing people to live under a debt based monetary system.

Then these women wouldn't have to sell their bodies.

Then fathers wouldn't sell off their daughters to pay debts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

anniemcl wrote:
    The solution is to stop forcing people to live under a debt based monetary system.

That's not a "solution" to the fact that there is a market for paid sex, and there are people willing to sell.

Are you against any forms of prostitution being legal or just the "slave girl" variety (which I think anyone reasonable is against)?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

There are motions afoot to make prostitution legal in Ireland (that is, being a prostitute, which is currently illegal, will be made legal), and to make the payment of prostitutes (which is not currently illegal) against the law.

So the vendor will be legal but the consumer illegal.

I mean.. I don't even... :confused:

This is in a bid to undermine people trafficking into Ireland, ostensibly. It has not been mentioned whether prostitutes would be liable for taxation under this new ... proposal

Something something something SWEDEN

It would be far better to having researched it. I dont understand your something something arguement.

My opinion on the matter is it would be a lot easier for the garda to police it if the buying was illegal. Also it would make sure that the forced prostitutes dont have there lives further degraded by being given a criminal record as well.

Let me make it simple. If you know that it was an offence to get caught looking for a prostitue you would be far far more careful about where you look and this is the aim of the measure. To make it less accessable and less cruel to the victum,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

OU812 wrote: »

Can the prostitutes sue if you refuse to pay? :pac:

No really, the thing is farcical. Imagine the same idea with drugs.
    Supermarkets can sell heroin, but any customer can go to jail for buying it. BUT if you steal heroin, there's no offense. :confused:

So prostitutes can legally profit from a practice which is in practice illegal.

It just.. I mean... I don't even know where to come from with this.

It's meant to curb illegal immigration - when actually providing a secure source of work for such immigrants.

I suppose the argument is that punters would be less likely to pay for the service if paying for the service was illegal; but it just seems such a naive approach. :pac:

Oh and Joey the Lips, the "something something sweden" thing is the usual argument that is prefaced with "Well on the continent..." that is really starting to grind my gears. EU membership? "Well, Switzerland. My case rests. " :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I don't think that something that should be acceptable should be made illegal to prevent another problem. Trafficking is a separate issue which needs to be dealt with separately. Making prostitution illegal to deal with trafficking is like making breathing illegal to deal with CO2 emissions. Trafficking shouldn't be brought into the debate on prostitution as its a separate issue.

However Legalising prostitution and making purchasing from an unlicensed prostitute highly illegal would reduce trafficking as it would deter patrons, reduce prices and decrease profit making it not worthwhile for the traffickers.

There are an increasing number of people than ever that see sex as nothing more than fun. There is nothing wrong with prostitution other than it is against some peoples religious and moral beliefs. If someone doesn't like it they shouldn't do it but they shouldn't stop other people that don't share their beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Will prostitutes now be expected to pay tax on the earnings?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Is that not some form of entrapment? :P

The guy is breaking the law by paying for the service and breaking the law by not paying for a service.

What if he only found out she was a prostitute afterwards like some sort of 2 star hollywood movie like American Pie would do? Rock and a hard place :P

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Will prostitutes now be expected to pay tax on the earnings?

Sorry OP, missed your question about tax in the opening post.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

This is a crazy law and another way where men will be criminalised. How can a contract between two consenting adults be a criminal offence for one and not the other? Why should the man be the criminal. The drug analogy earlier is appropriate. Should we prosecute users and allow dealers to go free?
    I am not claiming that there are no issues with the Prostitution trade in Ireland (and worldwide) but I think this constant portrayal of victims is exaggerated. The woman are already (presumably) guilty of a criminal offence, tax evasion, but they are still the victims?
    It is another case of laziness on behalf of the campaigners. There is a problem with trafficking. So should we go after traffickers? Ah no sure just go after the easy targets.
    Prostitution has been alive and well for 1000's of years and has been evident in every culture in the history of the planet. To think the Irish govt (who have been unable to manage anything for 30 years or more) is going to solve the problem is ridiculous.
    A more reasonable policy would be to regulate the industry. Have areas people could go to and avail of the service. License them, tax them etc. Would Ireland be able to manage this? Probably not when you look at the mess we have made of other regulation.

Criminalising men is not the answer.

This is all down to lobby groups and who shouts loudest. No ones going to argue the case that men should be able to legally use prostitutes as it isn't a vote winner.

It's a different story when the lobby groups bring up people smuggling, underage prostitutes, women being forced into it, victimisation etc.

It would be interesting to know what % of prostitutes chose to enter the profession of their own volition. I would expect it to be a significant majority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

This is all down to lobby groups and who shouts loudest. No ones going to argue the case that men should be able to legally use prostitutes as it isn't a vote winner.

It's a different story when the lobby groups bring up people smuggling, underage prostitutes, women being forced into it, victimisation etc.

It would be interesting to know what % of prostitutes chose to enter the profession of their own volition. I would expect it to be a significant majority.

That is pretty much nail on the head.

They want to make it so the woman is not breaking a law because it helps trafficking as the women can't go to authorities.

But they want to appease the Christian part of FG so they won't just let it be legalised.

So we end up with a stupid law that doesn't work because FG as a party needs to appease the Christian part of the party. They tried already with Gay Mitchell for president and the Irish electorate already rejected that part of the parties ideology but they are determined to ram it down our throats anyway to appease that part of the party.

Wish they'd just f*** off and form their own party and see how many votes their agenda gets on its own.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

My concern is for the increasing criminalisation of sex in this country and all the laws are directed at men. If an 18 yo kid meets a girl in a club and they end up spending the night together, if it turns out she has lied about her age he is liable for conviction as a sex offender. If the situation is reversed the girl would not be similarly liable. If two 15 year olds have sex the boy is the guilty one.
    Now if a men pays a woman for sex he is the guilty one?? Have women ZERO culpability in Ireland?
    Surely if we really want to go back to the good old catholic days and criminalise anything to do with sex both parties should be equally culpable?

This seems to be mostly down to Ruhama which are a religious group.

Aside from the fact that they will be biased towards only one solution in this matter due to their religious ethos there is also the problem that the media always turns to them to get their information regarding prostitution.

Also the figures regarding prostitution Ruhama give never seem to be backed up with evidence. For example, if we take what Ruhama say as a fact then trafficking is endemic in Ireland. Yet almost everytime i read about prostitutes being charged by the gardai in the papers they always seem to mention that the women were working of their own free will. This contradicts what Ruhama say as surely we'd be finding these cases of traffickingall the time if it was that widespread.

Rather than have Ruhama and other religious groups calling the shots in this matter, we should be asking the prostitutes themselves what they would like to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Laws are made to prevent a person's actions from having a negative affect on another person. A person that chooses to be a prostitute harms nobody. A person that chooses to buy sex from a willing prostitute harms nobody. That's why it should be legal.

Trafficking does hurt people but it isn't prostitutes or the people that avail of the service, that are doing the trafficking. Its like cigarettes, thousands are brought into the country illegally each year but this doesn't affect the transaction between the person in the shop and the shop owner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭iptba

Rather than have Ruhama and other religious groups calling the shots in this matter, we should be asking the prostitutes themselves what they would like to be done.
    There are prostitutions against the "turn off the red light" approach: http://www.turnoffthebluelight.ie/
    We are a sex worker led association campaigning against calls to criminalise the purchase of sex, and for the health, safety, human, civil and labour rights of sex workers in Ireland.

People can make submissions through August 31st. Details are in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79366400 .
    I fear most of the submissions will be about criminalising men/purchasers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Also the figures regarding prostitution Ruhama give never seem to be backed up with evidence. For example, if we take what Ruhama say as a fact then trafficking is endemic in Ireland. Yet almost everytime i read about prostitutes being charged by the gardai in the papers they always seem to mention that the women were working of their own free will. This contradicts what Ruhama say as surely we'd be finding these cases of traffickingall the time if it was that widespread.

Also borne out by this http://www.turnoffthebluelight.ie/information/brothel-keepers/ which shows that in 2006-09, 21 women were convicted of "brothel keeping", and just 4 men were. Many of the women convicted were essentially running a co-op.

Do we know the origins of the turnofthebluelight site? I wouldn't like to support something to subsequently find out it is set up by some dubious source.

Seems to make sense to consult with the industry themselves rather than some old woman in rural Ireland who is never affected by this issue.

Funny story. My Dad was a Garda and he told me that the busiest time of the year for Prostitution was the Ploughing Championships. He said that women travel from England especially for it due to the hight demand for hookers.

iptba wrote: »
    There are prostitutions against the "turn off the red light" approach: http://www.turnoffthebluelight.ie/

People can make submissions through August 31st. Details are in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79366400 .
    I fear most of the submissions will be about criminalising men/purchasers.

This is the sort of thing that im talking about. Not surprisingly the media never seems to even mention this organization in relation to prostitution. And they also manage to provide statistics and cases instead of the hearsay we get from Ruhama.

And they also manage to provide statistics and cases instead of the hearsay we get from Ruhama.

Some on the Ruhama side provide statistics - I just don't believe them:
    1,000 prostituted woman are available for sexual exploitation each day, 97 per cent of which have been trafficked into Ireland.
    Ref: Irish Times letter, February 8, 2011
    I'm guessing such a statistic is based on not classifying anybody (or virtually nobody) as economic migrants.

iptba wrote: »
    Some on the Ruhama side provide statistics - I just don't believe them:

I'm guessing such a statistic is based on not classifying anybody (or virtually nobody) as economic migrants.

That "statistic" doesn't seem to match up to the cases brought before the courts. If 97% of women were victims of trafficking then most of the women brought before the courts should be trafficking victims. Yet it seems the majority brought before the courts are ones who travelled here of there own free will and work as prostitutes.

It does seem like Ruhama like to class foreign prostitutes who travel here of there own free will as being "trafficked". It's this dishonesty which annoys me. If this was anything to do with legalizing abortion or drugs for example a group like Ruhamas claims would comeunder more scrutiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Dannyboy83

Al Capone must be having a giggle for himself at this.

Ireland has the most expensive cigarettes in Europe.
    Ireland is the cigarette smuggling Capital of Europe.
    Criminals are making huge money from cigarettes which feed drugs/weapons and other activities.

Fuel costs have nearly doubled in 3 years.
    Ireland is experiencing a surge in fuel smuggling not seen since the 80s.

Prostitution no longer an offence for prostitute, but is an offence for the consumer.
    A trafficked prostitute probably now risks her life if she 'rats' her pimp out when caught - no excuse.

The market/demand will continue to exist regardless. Due to measures which will be taken to bypass the risk, the market will probably actually ultimately grow, just like the underground steroid epidemic in Wales.

No social stigma since it's all underground.
    Underground = increased health risks for all parties.

Risk of getting caught means the consumer will agree to pay more money = bigger profits for the pimps = increased demand = more competition = more trafficking = more ruthless behaviour = more money diverted into other criminal activities.

Solution?
    Stop passing laws which require humans to behave as robots.
    1. Provide a legalised, regulated alternative
    2. A legalised, regulated alternative means the demand in the criminal market collapses, as does trafficking. It will only increase again when the price disparity between the legal option and the illegal option is too great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Do we know the origins of the turnofthebluelight site? I wouldn't like to support something to subsequently find out it is set up by some dubious source.

Seems to make sense to consult with the industry themselves rather than some old woman in rural Ireland who is never affected by this issue.

Funny story. My Dad was a Garda and he told me that the busiest time of the year for Prostitution was the Ploughing Championships. He said that women travel from England especially for it due to the hight demand for hookers.

I've heard the same about the Fianna Fail Ard Fheis...

I see the Labour Party are listed as one of those who made the submission: http://www.turnofftheredlight.ie/2012/08/press-statement-56-organisations-submit-case-to-outlaw-payments-for-sex/

Also various trade unions: SIPTU, Communication Workers’ Union, Impact Trade Union, Irish Medical Organisation, Irish Nurses and Midwives Organisation, Public Service Executive Union committee.

[Although one member of SIPTU said here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80436184&postcount=85 they were never asked to vote on it.]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Can I ask: how many people contributing to this thread are not male?

I expect an insignificant minority. Not exactly a balanced discussion.

I've discussed this at length before in other threads. Many in this thread are scapegoating one organisation to avoid discussing the the real issue.

It's childish because the evidence for the efficacy of this approach is actually coming from other European countries.

The fact is that none of you have accurate figures for the structure of the sex market in this country because it is an illicit market. Therefore, many here are exploiting this to place an irrational and unrealistic burden of proof on those figures in order to preserve their preconceived beliefs. But while statistics are useful, more important are the personal testimonials from sex workers who have left the business for whatever reasons, because these tell us about what life is actually like for sex workers (male and female) in this country.

Someone here said, and many agreed by the looks of things, that the 'majority' of sex workers of their own free will. That's one way of putting it. Another is that people become sex workers out of desperation, because they have found themselves in a bad situation without the resources (psychological, economic, human) to adequately feed and shelter themselves - that family, friends, community, society and the state have let them down. If someone has evidence to the contrary, please correct me, but as a human being with a wife who values her body very much and shares it only with me, I suspect, as an average human being in Irish society, that this is not something anyone but the most unusual would choose entirely out of their own volition as an aspirational 'career move'.

And they're the sex workers who aren't trafficked which numerous United Nations reports (and reports from Interpol, etc.) say is one of the fastest growing industries, not just illicit industries, in the world.

So let's call a spade a spade and say that, in the sex industry here, the likelihood is if you purchase the services of a sex worker, you're either sticking your manflesh in a woman in very desperate times (and working for a pimp) or a woman who is a prisoner and an illegal immigrant also in very desperate times. (I would say different statistics pertain to male sex workers of various types.) But you might get lucky. You might get a lovely Dublin 4 girlie who's selling sex because she thinks it's a good career move. No, you see, prostitution generally is a business borne out of vulnerability.

So, what's all this about? This legislation. Based on experience from other countries, empowering women to report without fear of arrest, in the first instance, is a practical measure to get more data on the industry. This will inform more strategic and effective responses, whatever they may be. The second is, yes, to criminalise the procurement of sex as a deterrant because it as been deemed that prostitution is, as reality rather than theory has it, bad for the sex workers (and probably beyond). This is a complex issue because this legislation involves not only codifying a pragmatic response to a perceived problem which is designed to protect people, but it involves value judgements which reflects the state of our social mores, morals and political reality.

I believe strongly that on these boards and beyond, the topic of prostitution takes place in a vacuum. There is a tendency of posters here to begin with a priori the assumption that prostitution is a simple economic exchange, therefore eliding the moral issues (out of self-interest), and so when discussing the pragmatic, political issues, they become meaningless.

Full legalisation and regulation is a sensible consideration, like similar strategies to deal with other illicit cargo by making them legitimate. But evidence from other countries shows that this alone cannot solve the problem - as in the Netherlands and Germany, prostitution remains an underground industry, meaning that sex workers right now are in desparate trouble and, therefore, sex workers need to be empowered to get support when needed, and to escape if necessary.

So: I support this legislation (even if I despise FG's Christian/Catholic rhetoric). I think the very fact that it gets so much snarling attention from men (I'm one, too) means that the legislation must already be working!

Advertisement