Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which ram to use?

Options
  • 20-08-2012 1:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi, just wondering what would be the best ram for Suffolk hoggets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Cran

Probably Charollais

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

[MOD]
    Thread moved to main F&F forum, more likely to be seen by the sheep experts there.
    [/MOD]

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭metalwood

Last year I used a Vendeen Ram on my hoggets and had to handle only 1 in 15 so I was very happy with him.

This year im experimenting with a Belclare on the hoggets.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Arrow in the Knee

Use a Suffolk cause you'll have nice black lambs.

They grow like mushrooms!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I use charolais myself, but with the cold last April i found them a bit soft and had to be kept in for ages which was no help to the hoggets who needed grass for milk. I am tempted this year to use a cheviot , lambs would be small and hardy, may not be worth as much as charolais cross but less hassle at lambing, hoggets are lleyn texel cross

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Cran

where are you based Tabby I lamb charollais in April, and find them well hardy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Kildare ,but land faces south east and can be bleak in April with east wind blowing

• Registered Users Posts: 34 whitetail

Thanks for the info everyone might go with the Charolais

Advertisement