Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheist moving to the UAE

Options
  • 15-08-2012 11:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

So - any tips for me in this land where apostasy is punishable by death, where pork isn't available, where everyone has to obey the strictures of Ramadan in public, and where blasphemy is a serious offence?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Watch what you eat and what you say?
    In other words, watch your mouth?

Edit : Isn't Ramadan over on Friday? When are you going there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭FullBeard

Shenshen wrote: »
    Watch what you eat and what you say?
    In other words, watch your mouth?

Edit : Isn't Ramadan over on Friday? When are you going there?

Going at the end of the month. It'll be over this year by the time I arrive but I'll be there for a few years at least.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Ok, rashers are hard to come by, but there are plenty of bars there and once you avoid mentioning your opinion of God, Allah, Krishna etc you shouldn't have any trouble there. Plenty of good restaurants too.

Anyhow, with a full-beard, you should fit right in with the Saudi lads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

pork is actually quite available in UAE (as is alcohol)

and with regards to religion just be mindful of other people's beliefs and you'll be fine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

My brother lived there for a couple of years. Never heard of any untoward religious influence on his lifestyle (he had a home bar and BBQ!). Though he was part of a greater "Western" community out there that wouldn't see much mixing of cultures.

You might feel it more if you were a woman, though on the basis of your username you might be fine even if you were.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd be inclined to keep your mouth shut, go with the flow (i.e. avoid doing things which would offend the natives) and maybe see if there are some inoffensive ways to respond to religious greetings.

The last thing you want is for someone to greet you like, "Allah be with you" and to scoff and go, "Eh, yeah, whatever".

I gather the UAE is about as tolerant as Islamic states get.

I was going to say it might also be no harm to pretend to be Christian if someone presses you about it, but I suppose depending on where you are, christians may be more hated than atheists. A little historical reading about the area you're moving to might pay dividends for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

FullBeard wrote: »
    So - any tips for me in this land where apostasy is punishable by death, where pork isn't available, where everyone has to obey the strictures of Ramadan in public, and where blasphemy is a serious offence?

You'd have to be a muslim before worrying about the apostasy thing.

It's not as bad as Saudi, but theres still a strong wahabi conservatism.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

You won be mixing with the local population anyway. You will have western friends and live in a typically western circle and lifestyle. going out to bars, restaurants and shopping centres and days out at the beach and other activites depending on what you can afford. The biggest danger is getting really fat (I put on 2 stone in 6 months) from excessive drink and food as its all there is to do unless you work at having meaningful hobbies and join a gym so you can stay fit (or at the very least prevnt yourself from dying before your time)

In terms of social nicities just avoid swearing and pointing in public which unless your a cretin shouldn't be hard for any normal well adjusted person.

Religous discussion should never come up in converstaion. (never did when I lived there.)

Ramadan is a pain but easily managed and the roads are really quiet which is great as so many are off or fasting. Most offices have spaces to eat away from anyone although choices are a bit limited. You have to wait until sunset before they will pour you a pint (which changes slightly every night.)

Enjoy it and live the life!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Pork was definitely available in Dubai when I was there a few years ago e.g. in the big Carrefour supermarket we went to, there was a separate "Pork Shop", staffed by non-Muslims that sold all the non-Halaal stuff. Alcohol was harder once you left the airport and the drink shop in the baggage claim area.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

bnt wrote: »
    Pork was definitely available in Dubai when I was there a few years ago e.g. in the big Carrefour supermarket we went to, there was a separate "Pork Shop", staffed by non-Muslims that sold all the non-Halaal stuff. Alcohol was harder once you left the airport and the drink shop in the baggage claim area.

alcholol is only hard to buy to take home. Its on every street corner in every hotel. There are some less than legal areas to purchase but if you get a residency card you can buy at an approved vendor.

On the whole virtually all your drinking will be social and out and about living the life. dont worry about it.

(I did laugh at the newbies buying wine in carrifour who had clearly just landed and didn't realise it was all alcohol free!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Here's what a minibar looks like in Riyadh(*) -- that brown bottle on the right contains an acrid, warm + sticky fluid derived from dealcoholized hop-extract:

217222.JPG

(*) Am only including this piccy coz it's lying around and you lot should know that attempting to lay down one's liver for one's country isn't always a barrel of laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

A friend of my Dad's drank some quasi-moonshine when he was in Saudi. Nearly killed him and he hasn't been able to touch drink in the 20 years since. I'd say avoid that **** like the plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

robindch wrote: »
    Here's what a minibar looks like in Riyadh(*) -- that brown bottle on the right contains an acrid, warm + sticky fluid derived from dealcoholized hop-extract:

Maybe plug the fridge in next time?

Life ain't always empty.

Gbear wrote: »
    A friend of my Dad's drank some quasi-moonshine when he was in Saudi. Nearly killed him and he hasn't been able to touch drink in the 20 years since. I'd say avoid that **** like the plague.

A lot of the myths about moonshine etc. are just that.
    Distilling is quite safe, adulterating the end product with cheap industrial alcohol/methylated spirits isn't. This seems to happen at Indian wedding parties fairly regularly...

Life ain't always empty.

seamus wrote: »
    I was going to say it might also be no harm to pretend to be Christian if someone presses you about it

Bring the baptismal cert? Accordiing to the RCC it's irrevocable, so that'd be me sorted...

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement