Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Air Corps Base Galway

Options
  • 09-08-2012 8:22pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭

I hear on the grapevine that certain aircraft and the training section are being located to the now defunct Galway airport.
    Also they will be recruiting locally for the new maritime service doing their own training .
    Im really excited at the prospect of this being on the doorstep so to speak and with their revised entry requirements, id like to think Id have a real chance to finally take to the air after so many rejections in the past .
    The reason for this is the prospective oil and gas fields off the west and sw coasts and the protection of them and the coastline,
    This whole thing is very exciting for all of us over here with a real passion for aviation and the people behind the scenes . Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

First Iv heard of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭OS119

sounds arse-scratching unlikely.

E2A: why oh why do i always answer these threads - it turns out the OP is a walt/nutter/saddo who wants to walk/drive around with ex-govt comms gear, and clothing, and with his wagon painted in the correct colour. shockingly, he has had his application to join the AC turned down...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Midnight Oil

Apologies as this is going to sound unkind but ... you seem to have your head in the clouds: Air Corps bases in Galway, sincgars, garda radios, replicating DF vehicles ....

...unkind...

'unkind'?

positively caritable!

while the OP may just be, err... 'leftfield', this might be a good opportunity to remind people that a 'harmless nutter' who went from walting it up on faceache to videoing service personnel from Ballykinler barracks has just been bailed up north after being charged under the Terrorism 2000 Act for having information likely to be of use to Terrorists.

the OP may be a deeply sad wierdo, but he may be something else entirely...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭Davehopper

I am upset by the bullying on this thread. My hobbies should not be the subject of ridicule by keyboard warriors, my hobbies are just that... mine!

I think people are just jealous that they were not the first with this news.

My sources say Maritime squadron and HEMS are going to Galway. And as I said maritime will be establishing it's own training facility. Along with HEMS a second 139 could possibly be going as an SAR backup as the Coast Gaurd were massively impressed with the Rescue by the 139 in Dublin bay this week.

• Advertisement

Davehopper wrote: »
    I am upset by the bullying on this thread. My hobbies should not be the subject of ridicule by keyboard warriors, my hobbies are just that... mine!

My sources say Maritime squadron and HEMS are going to Galway. And as I said maritime will be establishing it's own training facility. Along with HEMS a second 139 could possibly be going as an SAR backup as the Coast Gaurd were massively impressed with the Rescue by the 139 in Dublin bay this week.

Ok, Dave first of all let me say that if you as a self proclaimed ex member of the RDF do not see why people might have doubts about someone that within a few hours posts looking for a source of a GS radio (to look the part when out and about), a SINCGAR and a paint code of military vehicles then I am sorry but you are a lost cause!

Secondly, the Air Corps are stretched with the current situation of maintaining their current fleet in Bal and the air ambulance in Athlone. The organisation with the present fleet size, personnel shortages and the budgetary constraints and in the light of all of the DF barrack closures and consolidation of resources that is actively ongoing at the moment simply does not have the assets to operate a third facility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

Troll.

Ok, Dave first of all let me say that if you as a self proclaimed ex member of the RDF do not see why people might have doubts about someone that within a few hours posts looking for a source of a GS radio (to look the part when out and about), a SINCGAR and a paint code of military vehicles then I am sorry but you are a lost cause!

Secondly, the Air Corps are stretched with the current situation of maintaining their current fleet in Bal and the air ambulance in Athlone. The organisation with the present fleet size, personnel shortages and the budgetary constraints and in the light of all of the DF barrack closures and consolidation of resources that is actively ongoing at the moment simply does not have the assets to operate a third facility.

Well I have contacts in Galway Airport and they have told me the above. I have no reason to dispute their claims. Unlike Athlone, this will not be run from Baldonnel, maritime will recruit new staff to run this base independently! Get your facts straight!

I have my facts and the Air Corps have no authority to recruit any one to run this, well they hadn't as of 1630 today.

Does this by any chance have anything to do with your post today about being a frustrated spotter?

...this will not be run from Baldonnel, maritime will recruit new staff to run this base independently! Get your facts straight!

sorry pal, you're not just badly missinformed, but you're nuts.

there is no 'maritime', there is no 'new recruitment', there is no 'back-up for IRCG SAR' operation, there is no HEMS.

such a move would be an earthquake within the Irish Military, Irish Government and Irish aviation - the idea that some no-mark on the internet heard about it from a contact in Galway Airport long before people within the IRCG, the AC, and the government, all of whom whom have been involved in the decision making process long before anyone in Galway Airport would have bben consulted/informed - is just laughable. as are your posts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Ok, it's a troll but isn't it a good idea? Galway as an Air Corps outpost. If only. It is frequently used by the Air Corps and no week goes by without a Cessna circling Galway town and the helis are regular visitors.

As it is, the clowns running Galway airport seem determined to finish the place off by rejecting any and every attempt to keep it open. Believe me, I'm privy to several offers they've rejected.

Shortsighted fools. Somehow Sligo keeps going yet Galway is doomed.

I have my facts and the Air Corps have no authority to recruit any one to run this, well they hadn't as of 1630 today.

Does this by any chance have anything to do with your post today about being a frustrated spotter?

I've told you where I got my information, time for you to show your cards, for all I know you're just some random internet poster with an stubborn opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

According to my source ain't jack **** gonna happen in Galway

ReOrg of DF

DoD Strategy Statement

OP did you used to post on here as Steyr?
    Lots of threads about planes & aviation etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Shannon
    Sligo
    Finner.

That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭yer man!

Shannon
    Sligo
    Finner.

That is all.
    What's wrong with Shannon? that airport is far more accessible for more people than Knock will ever be, plus it doesn't feel like a shed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Maybe its the German Luftwaffe......

This thread deserves a move to the Walt forum, almost as good as our friend in the Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Along with HEMS a second 139 could possibly be going as an SAR backup as the Coast Gaurd were massively impressed with the Rescue by the 139 in Dublin bay this week.

And on the basis of 1 sucessful rescue these huge changes are being implemented ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

I hear on the grapevine that certain aircraft and the training section are being located to the now defunct Galway airport.
    Also they will be recruiting locally for the new maritime service doing their own training .
    Im really excited at the prospect of this being on the doorstep so to speak and with their revised entry requirements, id like to think Id have a real chance to finally take to the air after so many rejections in the past .
    The reason for this is the prospective oil and gas fields off the west and sw coasts and the protection of them and the coastline,
    This whole thing is very exciting for all of us over here with a real passion for aviation and the people behind the scenes . Dave

I suppose Galway is closer to the bogs for surveilance.

Air Corps pre-flight briefing:

O/C - Gentlemen, today we will undertake a daring mission vital not only to security of Ireland but also Europe, It is up to us now. Godd luck and tally ho chaps!

Pilot Murphy - Right so Boss, we will be flying over the bog again to see if any lad is cutting turf?

O/C - Affirmative, don't go below 2,000 ft. Sods of turf have been known to be thrown at low flying aircraft.

Its a great little country so it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Klunk001

a second 139 could possibly be going as an SAR backup as the Coast Gaurd were massively impressed with the Rescue by the 139 in Dublin bay this week.

Sorry Dave, but where or who exactly did you get this from ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Aerohead

OP did you used to post on here as Steyr?
    Lots of threads about planes & aviation etc?

Thats not Steyr, he never trolled. OP is a Troll though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

scholar007 wrote: »
    I suppose Galway is closer to the bogs for surveilance.

Air Corps pre-flight briefing:

O/C - Gentlemen, today we will undertake a daring mission vital not only to security of Ireland but also Europe, It is up to us now. Godd luck and tally ho chaps!

Pilot Murphy - Right so Boss, we will be flying over the bog again to see if any lad is cutting turf?

O/C - Affirmative, don't go below 2,000 ft. Sods of turf have been known to be thrown at low flying aircraft.

Its a great little country so it is!
    He He:cool:. You know I thought of great sport for those of you with PPLs and access to an aircraft. Fly to one of the bogs in question and circle in a provocative manner. Watching the nice people waving to you down below. They'll blame the government. I know it's cruel but it should be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Hi Walter! This forum is for you -> http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1008

yer man! wrote: »
    What's wrong with Shannon? that airport is far more accessible for more people than Knock will ever be, plus it doesn't feel like a shed.

The AC has deployed SAR to all these locations in the past and failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭marketty

Honestly this feckin forum sometimes...

Lets just say that ive the contacts on the inside , its my hobby and I love it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Aerohead wrote: »
    Thats not Steyr, he never trolled. OP is a Troll though.

Hmm..ok

It's just that the poster formerly known as Steyr used to post a shed load of threads about aviation & in particular military aviation.

He would also post threads on the aviation & aircraft forum, plus his name was Dave, he was in the RDF & hailed from Galway, had aspirations to join the Air Corps & am pretty sure he mentioned that he had a close relative working in Galway Airport.

Coincidence or evidence?

Its not just Galway that the CONTACTS are , family connections on the eastern side of the country too, where it matters.
    Just because you cant turn fantasy into reality, its not a crime to role play .what might have been is achievable in a different manner and doesnt hurt or offend anyone .

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭westdub

its not a crime to role play .what might have been is achievable in a different manner and doesnt hurt or offend anyone .
    you need to read this....http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1954/en/act/pub/0018/sec0264.html

264.—(1) If any person (not being a member of the Defence Forces) wears, without permission granted by or on behalf of the Minister, any uniform of the Defence Forces or any colourable imitation thereof, such person shall be guilty of an offence under this section and shall be liable on summary conviction thereof to a fine not exceeding ten pounds or, at the discretion of the court, to imprisonment for any term not exceeding three months.

(2) Subsection (1) of this section shall not apply in respect of the wearing of any uniform of the Defence Forces or any colourable imitation thereof in the course of a stage play or other dramatic representation or performance.

(3) In this section the word “uniform” includes any distinctive part of a uniform.

Thanks for that there , so its not a crime after all , what you do in the privacy of your home and grounds is your own business.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that there , so its not a crime after all , what you do in the privacy of your home and grounds is your own business.

The legislation makes no distinction between whether the offence is carried out on private property or not. So if you wear it in your bedroom, you are commiting an offence.

Advertisement