Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-08-2012, 19:47   #1
S28382
Closed Account

HOUSE OF PAIN

Just sittin back listenin to H.O.P. and it makes ya think how crap rap is gone,when these guys were out rap was at its best it was a time when a good few of the other good rappers were out....so now with all the commerical sh*it out there now how the hell do any kid comin up now have any inspiration when most of rap/hip hop is all about swinging chains and money. Maybe its a sign im gettin old (30)

FU*K COMMERCIAL RAP!

*rant over
Advertisement
09-08-2012, 20:14   #2
conor.hogan.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by S28382 View Post
Maybe its a sign im gettin old (30)
Nothing personal, but yes it is pretty much solely down to this. Every single generation in pretty much every aspect thinks the following generations are worse in every aspect.

That said there is a lot of crap out but that is the same in other genres and in everything else, so you just have to look harder for the good stuff.
Thanks from:
09-08-2012, 21:49   #3
Da Shins Kelly

Unfortunately it is rare that you're going to find any really good music being played on the radio these days, in any genre. Thankfully though we do all have the internet at our disposal to seek out the music we want. It's become easier to find something that suits you these days and there really is something for everyone. There is loads of good hip hop out there, it's just not getting played on the radio.
09-08-2012, 22:56   #4
iamstop

I really hate when people say all the rap/hip hop nowadays is ****e/a shadow of its previous form/lots it's way etc.
My view is this, the people who say this are talking about the latest flash in the pan tripe that is pay to play on all the commercial stations and MTV etc. **** I wouldn't wipe my arse with.
It's always been the way that if you want a steady supply of good quality underground music then that is EXACTLY where you have to look - Underground. You simply can not rely on mainstream media to keep you informed of the hottest new **** out, they only jump on things after they blow up.
One good way I've found to discovering new good **** is by following underground labels from the now defunct Mo'Wax, Rawkus to Stones Throw, Def Jux, Threshold and even Ninja Tunes etc. Well basically if you find one artist you really like on an indie label take a look at who else is on that label too.

TLDR - You're not looking hard enough. MTV et al. won't serve you the good ****.
10-08-2012, 09:07   #5
Boom_Bap

It's not a sign of age, i'm older than you and I'm still finding new hip hop music that is blowing me away.

Scratch beneth the surface and you'll find excellent hip hop music.
Advertisement
10-08-2012, 09:27   #6
S28382
Closed Account

I definitely dont watch any music channels on tv i hate them and i do trawl the net for good underground stuff, the problem with today is that there is too much coverage of **** music and that is what the younger kids are exposed to first.....i mean jedward, beiber, one direction, jls....all these morons are spoiling music.....oh i forgot one of the biggest muppets of them all......chris brown.......why does he think he is michael jackson and why the hell does he be using computers to alter his voice ...he sounds like a twat telling people not to wake him up whilst doing it in a robots voice.
10-08-2012, 11:03   #7
Mickolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by S28382 View Post
I definitely dont watch any music channels on tv i hate them and i do trawl the net for good underground stuff, the problem with today is that there is too much coverage of **** music and that is what the younger kids are exposed to first.....i mean jedward, beiber, one direction, jls....all these morons are spoiling music.....oh i forgot one of the biggest muppets of them all......chris brown.......why does he think he is michael jackson and why the hell does he be using computers to alter his voice ...he sounds like a twat telling people not to wake him up whilst doing it in a robots voice.
I'm around the same age as you and it was the same when I was growing up. Kids were hearing the likes of Take That or East 17 or whatever. As much as people want it to be true, the majority of us back then weren't listening to Cuban Linx or Illmatic. I was considered unusual in my class for having a few House of Pain or Nirvana albums. The difference now is that with the internet, kids can seek out good music instantly rather than save up to get the local record shop to order something in for you, if you weren't in one of the big cities.

Last edited by Mickolution; 10-08-2012 at 11:06.
11-08-2012, 21:12   #8
lordgoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom_Bap View Post
It's not a sign of age, i'm older than you and I'm still finding new hip hop music that is blowing me away.

Scratch beneth the surface and you'll find excellent hip hop music.
It's not just hip-hop but music in general i find. I dabble in hip-hop and find this forum a great resource, and I'd be inclined to like more new hip hop than older songs. Other than Regulate - which is and always will be a boss tune.
(2) thanks from:
12-08-2012, 17:40   #9
seachto7

Mos Def "Black on Both Sides" is a belter of an "old" hop hop album, and I am not really a fan of hip hop
Advertisement
13-08-2012, 12:11   #10
floggg

The music was always better, times were harder, families were closer and children better behaved "back in the day".

The more things change the more they stay the same.
13-08-2012, 15:57   #11
iamstop

Quote:
Originally Posted by floggg View Post
The music was always better, times were harder, families were closer and children better behaved "back in the day".

09-09-2012, 00:10   #12
Yakuza42

Great tune! I agree that rap is different nowadays.. Not necessarily for better or for worse, it's just a new style. Like the above poster said, times were different back then, so I guess it's just whatever your into.
13-09-2012, 16:25   #13
Jamelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Shins Kelly View Post
There is loads of good hip hop out there, it's just not getting played on the radio.
What hip hop would ya recommend?
13-09-2012, 16:31   #14
Boom_Bap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamelis View Post
What hip hop would ya recommend?
You should go through the 'Track of the Day' thread. You will get a huge variety of hip hop there. If you like something, take note of it and post here, I'm sure we can all help recommend other songs/rappers/groups based on that.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion