Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine alternative.

Options
  • 05-08-2012 5:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭

i did my leaving cert for the 2nd time this year and reckon I got about 540, which is ok but not good enough. But if I do get under 550 wednesday week I will repeat for one last time.

So this year I was totally focused on medicine and put absolutely no thought into my second choice, but the hpat went bad again:mad:

So i put down dentistry and physiotherapy on my cao.

I'm just wondering do people think these are good alternatives to medicine or are there any other courses if i have to go the graduate route?

any help thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Well if you're gonna go grad route any biochemish course will set you up well for the gamsat (but you can do any course so long as you get the 2.1). As for alternatives to Medicine, I don't really get what you mean by Dentistry and Physiotherapy being 'good' alternatives. I guess you'll cover a lot of the same stuff in both of those courses, especially the first two years of Dentistry, but then the resulting jobs are completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

Well if you're gonna go grad route any biochemish course will set you up well for the gamsat (but you can do any course so long as you get the 2.1). As for alternatives to Medicine, I don't really get what you mean by Dentistry and Physiotherapy being 'good' alternatives. I guess you'll cover a lot of the same stuff in both of those courses, especially the first two years of Dentistry, but then the resulting jobs are completely different.

I have an interest in these courses and might turn out to like them and forget about medicine but if I don't I want to pick a course that will give me a good grounding, I wouldn't do biochem though.

I'd go for Dentistry then, they both give you good grounding for the gamsat, but Dentistry will certainly, and if you choose Dentistry there's always the Advanced placement route into medicine through the maxillofacial surgery thing (which I really don't know anymore about). Sorry to hear the hpat didn't work out for you again Sunny.

I'd go for Dentistry then, they both give you good grounding for the gamsat, but Dentistry will certainly, and if you choose Dentistry there's always the Advanced placement route into medicine through the maxillofacial surgery thing (which I really don't know anymore about). Sorry to hear the hpat didn't work out for you again Sunny.

ok thanks for the input, maybe the hpat might go well next year 3rd time lucky:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Sunny!! wrote: »
    ok thanks for the input, maybe the hpat might go well next year 3rd time lucky:)

Hey maybe everything will work out on Results Day and you'll get the points! Be optimistic for the minute :)

• Advertisement

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    Hey maybe everything will work out on Results Day and you'll get the points! Be optimistic for the minute :)

unfortunately its mathematically impossible with my hpat score:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭First Aid Ireland

I did Biomedical Sciences before doing medicine and it gave me a very good grounding for the course. Anatomy or physiology would also be great.

Also give some thought to pharmacy and physio, particularly physiotherapy. It gives youa good grounding in anatomy as well as orthopaedics/rheumatology and respiratory medicine.

I did Biomedical Sciences before doing medicine and it gave me a very good grounding for the course. Anatomy or physiology would also be great.

Also give some thought to pharmacy and physio, particularly physiotherapy. It gives youa good grounding in anatomy as well as orthopaedics/rheumatology and respiratory medicine.

i didn't put pharmacy down this year but will next year:) i didnt look into it this year at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dcam

I'm also hoping for med this year and I have dentistry and pharmacy on my CAO also. I think I'd find them interesting as careers but also if you do decide to go down the postgrad route it is extremely expensive and both of these degrees present you with the opportunity to work a few hours at the weekend in a local dental surgery/pharmacy which would be very handy in terms of postgrad fees. Best of luck Sunny I really hope things work out for you in the end.

dcam wrote: »
    I'm also hoping for med this year and I have dentistry and pharmacy on my CAO also. I think I'd find them interesting as careers but also if you do decide to go down the postgrad route it is extremely expensive and both of these degrees present you with the opportunity to work a few hours at the weekend in a local dental surgery/pharmacy which would be very handy in terms of postgrad fees. Best of luck Sunny I really hope things work out for you in the end.

Thanks! I'd rather pharmacy to physio so i'll have that on my cao.The prospect of the graduate fees frighten me so i'd rather do the lc again. Hopefully third time lucky and more hpat practice:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭KKBL

I heard somewhere that you're only allowed to do the HPAT twice?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

You're only allowed to use it two years in a row, that might be what you're thinking of, but I'm pretty sure you can do it more than twice.

KKBL wrote: »
    I heard somewhere that you're only allowed to do the HPAT twice?

God that'd suck.

it can be done as many times a person wants.

Advertisement