Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dominic West Rejects A Role

Options
  • 03-08-2012 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

It seems Dominic West has turned down a role in Game of Thrones Season three. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/03/game-of-thrones-wire_n_1731640.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular Looks like it was for the King beyond the wall, Mance Rayder role.

I personally am glad. As much as i loved him in the Wire, i don't think he'd be right for the part. He was ok in Centurian, but i felt he overacted a bit in that part, leaving his performance a bit flash in a otherwise excellent slow paced movie. I'm sure he'd ruin the part of Mance Rayder.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭dr gonzo

I actually think thats quite a shame. I think he quite suits the part in my opinion.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,202 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I imagine Mance as a less physically imposing figure than West anyway. Although he would have been good in the role I have no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

He would be terrible....he can't even do an English accent.:pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,202 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

In my head, Mance looks like Lovejoy era Ian McShane, but with a beard.

McShane5.jpg

Don't ask me why!

Mickeroo wrote: »
    In my head, Mance looks like Lovejoy era Ian McShane, but with a beard.

McShane5.jpg

Don't ask me why!

I am not too sure about the leather jacket and jeans though.:D

He actually doesn't look too much older in Pirates of the Caribbean with a beard.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ian mcshane needs to be in GoT

it'd be the most amazing thing ever

should rewrite the show so al swearengen is the main character, have him serving whiskey, calling people ***** and stabbing people all over westeros

i'd pre-order the **** out of that blu ray season box set

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

Billy Connolly would make an unbelievable Rayder if he took the role seriously. He'd have to neutralise his accent a bit but he can even play music; he'd be so great. I can't remember what age Mance was supposed to be but given the fact that the actors playing Robb and Jon are in their late 20s and their characters are supposed to be 16, I doubt it matters.

So glad Dominic West didn't get the part. He just doesn't look like what I pictured at all; not nearly as built-up or hairy enough. I want someone feral and unpredictable, that's why I say Billy Connolly. Brendan Gleeson might cut it either but he'd have to become far more hirsute.

I applied to be an extra - it would be like an absolute dream to get a part in the show being made about my favourite ever series of books. I'm obviously not getting my hopes up though, I'm not much to look at and have very little acting experience. It's such a pity though, because I bloody well know I could pull off a leading role if I got the chance. I think I'd be awesome as Gilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

This is how i image Mance to look like.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0960389/

Son0vagun wrote: »
    This is how i image Mance to look like.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0960389/

Looks very like Jamie in some of those pics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I pictured him as jimmy nail , have no idea why

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,347 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Chloris wrote: »
    So glad Dominic West didn't get the part. He just doesn't look like what I pictured at all; not nearly as built-up or hairy enough. I want someone feral and unpredictable, that's why I say Billy Connolly. Brendan Gleeson might cut it either but he'd have to become far more hirsute.

Don't think Mance is well built physically at all.
    When Jon first goes to his tent he doesn't even notice Mance as he is a slender unremarkable guy singing a song and playing the lute.
    Don't think theres any ever reference to a beard either which a few people have mentioned in the thread.

(Obviously everyone is entitled to their own mental image of a character :))

awoiaf fan art picture would tend to agree.
    http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/File:Mance_Rayder.jpg

File:Mance_Rayder.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,009 ✭✭✭fitz

Chloris wrote: »

When Jon first goes to his tent he doesn't even notice Mance as he is a slender unremarkable guy singing a song and playing the lute.
    Don't think theres any ever reference to a beard either which a few people have mentioned in the thread.

I've always thought Robert Carlisle would be perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

This guy Joseph Campo put up an audition on youtube and got positive feedback

I like the cut of his jib

*book spoiler alert for the speech*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

He's daycent alright.

I picked up on him totally wrong! Oh well, it's engrained in my head now...

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ciaran0

I'm fairly sure that Mance is meant to be quite an unassuming, physically average, regular looking guy. Jon's meant to not realise who he is when he first meets him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭golfball37

There goes my theory so.

I was convinced Maynce Raydar would turn out to be Benjen Stark.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Ciaran0

golfball37 wrote: »
    There goes my theory so.

Now that would have been a twist and a half!! But I'm guessing you haven't read the books then?

golfball37 wrote: »
    There goes my theory so.

Glad I am not the only one.....TV show does make it seem like that is a possibility but Mance is made out as a different character much earlier in the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

Always pictured Mance as more of a Steven MacKintosh myself (though Robert Carlyle is not a bad shout either)

Stevenmackintosh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,184 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Always pictured him as a tough, wiry character who while not looking like much would be very capable in a scrap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I never thought of dominic west, but how idiotic do you have to be to say no to one of the best tv shows of all time? all the while playing that cardboard cut-out in john carter. It makes no sense.
    I would like robert carlyle or maybe garret dillahunt, hes awesome in everything he does.

I never thought of dominic west, but how idiotic do you have to be to say no to one of the best tv shows of all time? all the while playing that cardboard cut-out in john carter. It makes no sense.
    I would like robert carlyle or maybe garret dillahunt, hes awesome in everything he does.

It would take a lot longer for him to film the series of Game of Thrones than it would to film John Carter. From what I can remember West doesn't like spending long periods of time away from his family and had a reduced role in the third series of The Wire because of this. I dunno where the scenes North of the Wall are filmed but I reckon they would take him away from his family for a while, or maybe he just doesn't want to become HBO's go to guy.:D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Forget McNulty, they should get Omar to play Mance.

Forget McNulty, they should get Omar to play Mance.

Mance comin'

MV5BNDQzOTg4NzA2Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzkwNjkxMg@@._V1._SX214_CR0,0,214,314_.jpg

Aragorn!

It's just been announced Ciarán Hinds has been cast as Mance. A good actor and I think he'll do well with the role.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001354/

Sleepy wrote: »
    It's just been announced Ciarán Hinds has been cast as Mance. A good actor and I think he'll do well with the role.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001354/

He's a good actor alright, will be good but he's too old for the role imo. I could be way off but I thought Mance was still relatively young, like in his 40's? Seems strange for them to offer it to West and then go for someone older.

Oh hell no!
    Mance is supposed to be young, that guy was old when he played Ceasar in Rome.

Well, the Wildling life would be tough so not inconceivable that a man in his 40's would look older?

Given that the HBO show is a different beast than the novels and that the most important part of playing Mance is going to be about screen presences and the portrayal of a natural leader of men (which Hinds has already shown in Rome) I think he'll do well.

• Advertisement

Sleepy wrote: »
    Well, the Wildling life would be tough so not inconceivable that a man in his 40's would look older?

Given that the HBO show is a different beast than the novels and that the most important part of playing Mance is going to be about screen presences and the portrayal of a natural leader of men (which Hinds has already shown in Rome) I think he'll do well.

Thats true, sure all the younger characters are much older in the show i suppose.

Advertisement