Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean Kelly Tour 2012

Options
  • 02-08-2012 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Is anyone else buzzin for this already? 3 weeks on Sunday! New racer bought, entry in (closes on Tuesday 21st!!) and day booked off work!

Just did a bit of training on the new 100k route this evening, some of them hills are testy enough! Anyone else have a go on it yet?

Anyone else tried out the new route?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 shaycl

Any more info on the new route. I presume you are from the area.
    Is it as difficult as the coast road from Tramore to Dungarvan.
    Did it last year and found this section tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭topcat291169

hooli07 wrote: »
    Is anyone else buzzin for this already? 3 weeks on Sunday! New racer bought, entry in (closes on Tuesday 21st!!) and day booked off work!

Just did a bit of training on the new 100k route this evening, some of them hills are testy enough! Anyone else have a go on it yet?

I know the feeling as i just completed the 100k in Meath last weekend. Got on very well and as a result I have entered in the 160k for Waterford. It will either kill me or make me stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭ccull123

Would anyone know how similar the 100 km Meath v 100km Waterford are terrain/hill wise?

• Administrators Posts: 53,433 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

ccull123 wrote: »
    Would anyone know how similar the 100 km Meath v 100km Waterford are terrain/hill wise?
    Waterford is much hillier.

As someone said to me at the Meath food stop, "this is as flat as you're going to get it on these events".

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭ShatterResistant

shaycl wrote: »
    Any more info on the new route. I presume you are from the area.
    Is it as difficult as the coast road from Tramore to Dungarvan.
    Did it last year and found this section tough.

I'd say about as tough, slightly harder in places but a fantastic part of the county. Here's a link from the facebook page which includes terrain:

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/embedded/113929011

• Advertisement

I know the feeling as i just completed the 100k in Meath last weekend. Got on very well and as a result I have entered in the 160k for Waterford. It will either kill me or make me stronger.

Your a tougher person than I, you'll know your arse from your elbow before that day is out!
    Ara you'll manage it but I have to say there are some long, steep hills on that route. If all else fails you can get the broom wagon home!

Anyone know where a man could get accommodation in Dungarvan the sat/sun of the cycle? Seems to be extremely thin on the ground!!!!!

Anyone know where a man could get accommodation in Dungarvan the sat/sun of the cycle? Seems to be extremely thin on the ground!!!!!
    I phoned every hotel in Dungarvan on Saturday and everyone was fully booked, only by fluke when I phones lawlors hotel they had just got a cancellation and they had a single room which I got

I nearly booked a room in Waterford but was told its 45min drive so be careful

We have accomodation booked, looks like just in time! :eek:

any chance of a pm if u cant make it for some reason topcat?

• Advertisement

any chance of a pm if u cant make it for some reason topcat?

If your stuck for a room ccull123 I could PM you a number for a B&B in the heart of Dungarvan, with plenty of space for bikes, its not mine but I know the owner who was asking me if she could advertise it on the Sean Kelly Website etc. because she only recently got it refurbished. If its available, this place is literally about 250 metres from the main start!

This is a comprehensive list for everyone: http://www.itsafeeling.com/guide.html

If you've exhausted this just PM me and I'll try and sort out as many as possible if theres still a shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

hooli07 wrote: »

I cycled part of the the 100k route yesterday from Dungarvan to just beyond Ardmore.

The start is fine until after you get to the Ring cross (about 3k in). It's a climb then basically for 7-8km up as far as Old Parrish. It's not too bad though, just a slog to get up it. Thr road is very flat and super fast from Old Parrish to Ardmore with just one or two parts that have rolling hills. Another slight slog coming out of Ardmore going for Youghal but again it's short.

I turned back for Dungarvan on the N25 so thats all I can say about the route. I have however driven it many times and I can only imagine its going to be a fast 100k. I'm personally hoping for sub 3hrs provided I get in a good group.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Hi Guys,

Trying out the Sean Kelly 100 for the first time and just reading on the site that the route is under modification. Any ideas why this is or is the route changing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Strange one that, i know they had changed the route from last year but there was a map up of the new one a few weeks ago. It will be interesting to see what further alterations they have made.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Immediately after crossing the N25 bridge outside Youghal, the route was to have taken a right turn - but this road has been closed as dangerous to traffic for at least the past 6 months, so I'd guess that this is the problem. The obvious alternative is to go to the next roundabout (start of Youghal by-pass) take a right and climb towards Tallow, but this could add considerably to the distance, so I'd guess that they might take to more minor roads to keep it within 100km. I'm curious to see what solution they come up with....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

keano007 wrote: »
    I have however driven it many times and I can only imagine its going to be a fast 100k. I'm personally hoping for sub 3hrs provided I get in a good group.

Hope that helps.

With my level of fitness and average speed id be hoping to finish in 4hr-4:30hr...

Did i sign up for the wrong event?

Sub 3 hours would be some pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    I have however driven it many times and I can only imagine its going to be a fast 100k. I'm personally hoping for sub 3hrs provided I get in a good group.

Hope that helps.

With my level of fitness and average speed id be hoping to finish in 4hr-4:30hr...

I'll be happy to finish in 5 hours...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭GT_TDI_150

Pembily wrote: »

Hope that helps.

I'll be happy to finish in 5 hours...
    Cool, thats what i was hoping for

Cool, thats what i was hoping for
    There'll be all sorts at it.:)

There'll be people who fly round it who are interested in getting it done quickly.

There'll be people who fly around but stop for ages at the food stops and chill.

There'll be people who do a decent pace around it and stop at the food stops.

And there'll be people who are happy to take it easy, time doesn't bother them and they just want to get the distance done.

That's the beauty of these things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

what way are the members minded, 100 or 160km?

Good morning, has anyone uploaded my new 160k route up onto Garmin Connect as i would like to download it onto my Garmin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Junior

I'm riding the 100k with the Wife for a bit of fun - Dungarvan CC are running a charity spin on Sunday 19th August, 9.30 from The Square Dungarvan. The spin is in aid of West Waterford Hospice, a suggested Donation of €20 per rider is requested or please give what you can for this cause. The route will be this years Sean Kelly 100k in reverse: Lismore - Knockanore - Youghal - Ardmore - Old Parish - Dungarvan. We will have a refreshment stop in knockanore. If anyone is interested..

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Muhozol

Hi all,
    I just signed up for 100k and done most of my training on a hybrid with a granny gear :-) to climb hills. However I decided to do it on a road bike so bought one last week ( she's a beauty but not so much forgiving climbing those hills in Kerry) . Could anyone tell me how much harder I should expect after doing Killarney - Moll's Gap - Kenmare and back :-)
    I will def take my time (5hr will be a success for me) but wouldn't like to get of the bike on a climb.
    Hope to see you there guys :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭keano007

Muhozol wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I just signed up for 100k and done most of my training on a hybrid with a granny gear :-) to climb hills. However I decided to do it on a road bike so bought one last week ( she's a beauty but not so much forgiving climbing those hills in Kerry) . Could anyone tell me how much harder I should expect after doing Killarney - Moll's Gap - Kenmare and back :-)
    I will def take my time (5hr will be a success for me) but wouldn't like to get of the bike on a climb.
    Hope to see you there guys :-)

If you managed Kilarney you'll fly Waterford. Alot shorter and the 'hills' aren't as tough. The toughest is probably the climb from ring cross to old Parrish but its not steep just a long drag. I think there's a similar drag near knockanore.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Muhozol

Thanks a lot mate, I'm feeling quite relieved and still 2 weeks training ahead, hope for the good weather and some scenic views. Last couple evenings in Killarney National Park were unreal, what an energy boost for the rest of the week :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

They seem to have finalized the 100Km route for the Skt. No map available but the main pass through points are on the site so this looks about right.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1559990

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

They seem to have finalized the 100Km route for the Skt. No map available but the main pass through points are on the site so this looks about right.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1559990[/QUOTE]

Certainly modified from original route.
    Changes include:
    Earlier return to N25 from Ardmore.
    Taking N72 from Lismore to Cappoquin instead of back road.
    Going off the N72 at Cappoquin and returning at Affane cross.

We are still going up Glendine Road from Youghal Bridge....a road which has been closed for last 6 mths.....deemed dangerous to traffic. Turning right off the N25 here could be fun.
    The climb from N25 up Ring / Old Parish is significant as its very early in the route.
    Get to Lismore.....its downhill from there.....more or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

cornerboy wrote: »

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1559990 [/QUOTE]

Certainly modified from original route.
    Changes include:
    Earlier return to N25 from Ardmore.
    Taking N72 from Lismore to Cappoquin instead of back road.
    Going off the N72 at Cappoquin and returning at Affane cross.

We are still going up Glendine Road from Youghal Bridge....a road which has been closed for last 6 mths.....deemed dangerous to traffic. Turning right off the N25 here could be fun.
    The climb from N25 up Ring / Old Parish is significant as its very early in the route.
    Get to Lismore.....its downhill from there.....more or less.

Is this just your interpretation of the map linked in the previous post - and it that link in any way official, or just that OPs interpretation of the route............? I didn't read @funnights post as anything other than his speculation of the map based on a reading of some of the routes waypoints - best to await some 'official' word on the route.

You are absolutely right to point out the danger of any right hand turn off the N25 (main Cork - Waterford road) on the bend at the old bridge at Youghal and onto Glendine road - that looks far too dangerous to be sanctioned by the Gardai IMO.....

The obvious solution is to carry on to the next roundabout and head up the R634 towards Tallow for a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    cornerboy wrote: »

Is this just your interpretation of the map linked in the previous post - and it that link in any way official, or just that OPs interpretation of the route............? I didn't read @funnights post as anything other than his speculation of the map based on a reading of some of the routes waypoints - best to await some 'official' word on the route.

You are absolutely right to point out the danger of any right hand turn off the N25 (main Cork - Waterford road) on the bend at the old bridge at Youghal and onto Glendine road - that looks far too dangerous to be sanctioned by the Gardai IMO.....

The obvious solution is to carry on to the next roundabout and head up the R634 towards Tallow for a bit.

Does look like you're right Blaaman....this is probably not official.
    They're making a bit of a balls of it. There was no map for the 100Km on the site up to recently. They then put one up and now with 2 weeks to go the map is gone again for revision. The Tallow road is an option OK and even if they use the Glendine rd they may bring us to the roundabout and back for turning purposes.....not a great arrangement.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement