Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where can I find out my blood type?

Options
  • 31-07-2012 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Dear all,
    Where can I do this test?
    Thanks in advance for any reply!

Regards,
    Jingquan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

If you donate blood, you'll be told.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

If you donate blood, you'll be told.

What it was on the day

It can change

0lddog wrote: »
    What it was on the day

It can change

NO IT CAN'T!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

I'm with Olddog on this one.

Although you're unlikely to forget a bone marrow transplant.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I vaguely remember being told that some of the more obscure blood groups can change after infection or something. I really need to get better at listening during lectures.

• Advertisement

NO IT CAN'T!
    MrCreosote wrote: »
    I'm with Olddog on this one.

Although you're unlikely to forget a bone marrow transplant.

Looks like I stand corrected!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

0lddog wrote: »
    What it was on the day

It can change

NO IT CAN'T!

I'm fairly sure we changed a gunshot victims blood type last week. Must have put twenty units into him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

You can ask your GP to test your blood type it but in my experience they're reluctant to check your blood type unnecessarily. They don't like entertaining curiosity I suppose, which is fair enough imo. The easiest way I think unless you have access to your own lab is to just donate blood...

I'm fairly sure we changed a gunshot victims blood type last week. Must have put twenty units into him.
    Would the blood type not usually just return to what it was eventually? (Like, if you gave an AB+ person a LOT of B+ blood, would the blood he/she received not just likely return to AB+ after a while?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

jumpguy wrote: »
    Would the blood type not usually just return to what it was eventually? (Like, if you gave an AB+ person a LOT of B+ blood, would the blood he/she received not just likely return to AB+ after a while?)

Yea, they would return to their original blood type.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

jumpguy wrote: »
    You can ask your GP to test your blood type it but in my experience they're reluctant to check your blood type unnecessarily. They don't like entertaining curiosity I suppose, which is fair enough imo. The easiest way I think unless you have access to your own lab is to just donate blood...

GP's don't generally check blood types becuase the labs they have access to (usually hospital based) refuse to do them routinely. They claim there is no good reason to do them unless you are pre-surgery or need a transfusion.

The Beacon hospital will check it for about €60. Donating blood is the easiest way but a lot of people are not allowed donate blood for various reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

RobFowl wrote: »
    GP's don't generally check blood types becuase the labs they have access to (usually hospital based) refuse to do them routinely. They claim there is no good reason to do them unless you are pre-surgery or need a transfusion.

The Beacon hospital will check it for about €60. Donating blood is the easiest way but a lot of people are not allowed donate blood for various reasons.i ne

My GP did mine before before, my reason was I needed it for an event I was entering. I had no bother with that reason; out of interest is this a new[ish] thing? As there was no bother getting it added to my usual tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Surely if someone genuinely wants, or needs to know, for whatever reason, and is willing to pay for the tests, then what business is it of a lab to refuse to do it? Any kind of organized motorsport event will require you to know your blood type, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Yea, they would return to their original blood type.

With a few extra antibodies :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Motorsport insurance requires it coz you're more likely than the rest of the population to be in a serious accident requiring lots of blood.

GP's will get your blood type if a)insurance reasons (like motorsports), b) you're pregnant, c) you got a Rhesus D neg lady pregnant.

Hospitals will get your blood type if you a) need blood now, b) might need blood during surgery.

The IBTS gets your blood type if you donate blood.

Doing it out of curiousity or for fad diets is just not done, as the lab services are oversubscribed as it is.

Oh, or if you're donating marrow/organs to someone, they'll type you for blood AND HLA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Cheers Tree, I was doing the MdS that year; so yeah it would have been an insurance issue.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Tree wrote: »
    GP's will get your blood type if a)insurance reasons (like motorsports), b) you're pregnant, c) you got a Rhesus D neg lady pregnant.

Hospitals will get your blood type if you a) need blood now, b) might need blood during surgery.

Where I work the bloods we take all go to Beaumont and they for one point blank refuse under all circumstances to check blood groups for GP's.
    We can get it checked but only in some private hospitals.

Even for pre-natal care? How bizarre

Tree wrote: »
    Even for pre-natal care? How bizarre

They argue they don't do maternity care and the maternity hospital would have to cross match and type blood anyway......

How odd. We used to do in the CUH even before the maternity unit was opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭skydish79

RobFowl wrote: »

The Beacon hospital will check it for about €60. Donating blood is the easiest way but a lot of people are not allowed donate blood for various reasons.

Hi are you able to tell us where you work, Id like to get an overall health check. bloods etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement