Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dunnes Stores

Options
  • 27-07-2012 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the policy regarding returning a drapery item to Dunnes without a receipt. I attempted to return something that I got as a gift but is too small & the lady in customer service refused point blank to exchange if for a bigger size. She said if it was got it as a gift, I should have a gift receipt. I often returned drapery no problem. I know you wont get back the money without a receipt but I did think an item could be exchanged without a receipt. Did the policy change or does it all depend on the person in customer service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I returned a big bag of baby presents to the Waterford store for exchange in February, no receipts at all.

I did see a sign saying if an item was reduced by 50% I think, they would not take it back at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭hillbloom

I certainly returned clothes without a receipt at some stage maybe not to this store. This was the Ennis Store (Co. Clare). I will try again, perhaps in a more friendly store!!!! I just wanted the same in a different size and it was in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

Generally the policy is that they will exchange it at the current value so if you want it in a different size they will usually switch it for you. However remember you are not entitled to anything unless there is a fault so they can refuse to exchange it if they wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I have a feeling I saw something about a new return policy by the tills in my local Dunnes Stores recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

The missus work's in Dunnes, new policy is no receipt no return.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

hillbloom wrote: »
    Does anyone know the policy regarding returning a drapery item to Dunnes without a receipt. I attempted to return something that I got as a gift but is too small & the lady in customer service refused point blank to exchange if for a bigger size. She said if it was got it as a gift, I should have a gift receipt. I often returned drapery no problem. I know you wont get back the money without a receipt but I did think an item could be exchanged without a receipt. Did the policy change or does it all depend on the person in customer service?

Just change it over yourself. If they think you stole it they will see you come in with one on the CCTV.

All Dunnes clothing is security tagged in the stores I've been in to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Just change it over yourself. If they think you stole it they will see you come in with one on the CCTV.

Genius :rolleyes:

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    All Dunnes clothing is security tagged in the stores I've been in to.

Ah... didn't think of that. Clearly I don't shop for clothes in stores often...

I think I remember reading Penny's have done the same thing.

I can't see an issue with a swap at current selling price. I cant see how it could impact the store.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,904 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

If you wanted to be sneaky, you could buy the item in your size, and return the wrong sized one with your new receipt...

MarkR wrote: »
    If you wanted to be sneaky, you could buy the item in your size, and return the wrong sized one with your new receipt...
    The receipt won't match. It's itemised by style, size and colour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

First things first - legally these retailers are under no obligation to replace or exchange items that are not faulty. I think it's a nice extension of the customer service that they do and even offer special "gift receipts" to facilitate the exchange if you are buying for someone else.

Part of the reason for insisting on a receipt when a customer requests an exchange is that they need proof that the item wasn't stolen in the first place. Some places may accept Laser or credit-card receipts.

I'm not suggesting anyone here stole anything or would attempt anything underhanded or dishonest, just explaining the need for a receipt.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Bobsammy wrote: »

Really?! Can't say I've bought a lot of clothes in Dunnes, but that would require a different barcode for every size?

Yeah that's exactly how it's done - trust me! Unique barcode for every size and colour. Even the shoes have one barcode for the left shoe and another for the right and both are scanned to ensure it's a matching pair. It's done like this to keep track of exactly what stock is on hand.

mathepac wrote: »
    First things first - legally these retailers are under no obligation to replace or exchange items that are not faulty. I think it's a nice extension of the customer service that they do and even offer special "gift receipts" to facilitate the exchange if you are buying for someone else.

Part of the reason for insisting on a receipt when a customer requests an exchange is that they need proof that the item wasn't stolen in the first place. Some places may accept Laser or credit-card receipts.

I'm not suggesting anyone here stole anything or would attempt anything underhanded or dishonest, just explaining the need for a receipt.

I agree, but swaping a size 12 for a 14 causes no possible stock loss at all. Even if it is robbed, both shop and consumer are in the same boat. Receipts in envekopes then with all presents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

mathepac wrote: »

Depends on the additional promises made to the buyer at time of purchase by way of an exchange policy etc. Technically the retailer has no duty to someone who had received something as a gift, even if it's faulty - there is no contract.

Proof of purchase does not have to be a receipt (unless it's an exchange in addition to your statutory rights and they specifically say receipt rather than proof of purchase). Did the person who bought this stuff for you pay by laser / visa? Will Dunnes accept that? I suggest you ask them.

I still think buy the one you need and take the other one back is a great idea - naughty but I've done it myself I have to admit. Make bloody sure you know the refund policy and if it turns out it is described on the receipt - just return the actual one you bought. Worth a shot imo.

OT: There's a technical argument that can be made with womens clothes that they are 'not fit for the purpose sold' if they don't fit as the sizing is non-standard. That's one that will get me in another argument so I'll make no further comment on it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

You could say the item was on the wrong size hanger and doesn't fit. I've often bought items going by the hanger size only to get home and the item is not the same size as was on the hanger.

Karen23 wrote: »

You could say the item was on the wrong size hanger and doesn't fit. I've often bought items going by the hanger size only to get home and the item is not the same size as was on the hanger.

What difference would that make? The receipt will still show what item was scanned when you bought it, not what hanger it was on. You still can't use it to bring back a different size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Dunnes now also have a policy that if you try to get a refund on something (with a receipt) and it has been reduced they wont give you the refund.

Dovies wrote: »
    Dunnes now also have a policy that if you try to get a refund on something (with a receipt) and it has been reduced they wont give you the refund.

If you paid full price and have a receipt will they not give you the price you paid withing 28 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

If you paid full price and have a receipt will they not give you the price you paid withing 28 days?

Nope. Not according to them yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RetailChick

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I agree, but swaping a size 12 for a 14 causes no possible stock loss at all. Even if it is robbed, both shop and consumer are in the same boat. Receipts in envekopes then with all presents.

Doing this any other way than through the till will affect the company. It will corrupt their stock file.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,664 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Sounds like the biggest problem here is that Dunnes don't want to be put out with regards to their stock system rather than trying to offer good customer care.
    CIE is another classic example - needs of the employees/company before the customer they're supposed to serve.

Vote with your wallet and buy elsewhere in future so.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭whiteonblu

Yeah that's exactly how it's done - trust me! Unique barcode for every size and colour. Even the shoes have one barcode for the left shoe and another for the right and both are scanned to ensure it's a matching pair. It's done like this to keep track of exactly what stock is on hand.
    a long way from the days people would simply swap the price labels or put the red price sale label on a non sale item

Doing this any other way than through the till will affect the company. It will corrupt their stock file.

Sorry, i should have said through the till. Agreed, swaping any other way is a disaster for availability in a clothing store.

To be honest, i havent bought any womens clothes in over 4 years, they seem to have really lost their way. But i did return alot of baby presents for excnahge and i was very happy to do so, i wouldnt chance buying another present there again in case the recipricant ends up stuck with the wrong size.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

MarkR wrote: »
    Really?! Can't say I've bought a lot of clothes in Dunnes, but that would require a different barcode for every size?

Yes, and then they scan the receipt to match it up. Granted that came in the last few years, but they would have matched the barcode manually before.

I worked in Dunnes for several years. The policy always was no receipt- no refund, but exchanges were fine. If you had a receipt but not the credit card in question, they'd put it on a gift card.

The latest policy I was there for was that they will not refund sale items, but you can still get an exchange on them. Most shops won't refund OR exchange them. It caused uproar but it's still in place. If they are now not doing exchanges without receipts, that's fairly new because it wasn't there in February. Penneys brought this in a while ago, so they're just copying them. They are well within their rights to refuse ANY goodwill refunds, so it's not as if they're screwing customers over. At least, not with their refund policies.

• Advertisement

I get all that but i cant see why they would do it, is it just a hassel to them? I dont know of anyother high st retailer that are considering it. Dunnes dont even do a 20percent off day so its not because they are taking returns that were sold at a reduced rate.

Advertisement