Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginner needs advice

Options
  • 27-07-2012 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I'm a beginner, so much so I don't even have a bike. I want to start road cycling, nothing too crazy, just 20k-40k spins after work etc.

Consider me a blank canvas in the cycling world.

I work in the dept of education so I can have up to 51% off €1000 (Bike & Accessories), I don't really want to spend much over €1000 right now.

I was looking at a Giant, a Trek and a Specialized road bike all between €700 - €800. Which would leave me 200-300 for accessories.

What do I need to buy to start off? A helmet and a lock or more?

I can use the cycle to work scheme again in 5 years so if i'm happy with the purchase and the sport, i'll upgrade then. (My rationale for only spending €1000)

I'd really appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

I'd sugest to get the best bike you can get for the full 1000e. The reason is that you can get all the accessories and gear online for much less if you shop around. Also, have a look at Cube and Felt models, they might be a bit better value and I just like the looks of them. There might be some discounts coming soon for this years models, have a look around, there is lot to be had for the 1k.

Ah, one more thing. If you really get hooked then you'll be upgrading a lot sooner than in 5 years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Frankay

Hmmzis wrote: »
    Also, have a look at Cube and Felt models

Hey thanks for the advice, was in with a salesman today and he said he can give me a 10% discount on every bike except Felt, thats why I hadn't considered it.

I'm thinking I may just spend the 1K on the bike now too!

Cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

I got a Giant Defy as my first bike.... Got me hooked and I still have it. The Defy 1 is constantly being mentioned in magazine listings of 'Best Bikes under £xxxx' type articles. I only went for the Defy 3, but you get the same frame. As it was my first bike, 105 would have been lost on me. Plus, when you get hooked and upgrade, you really notice a difference.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Defy, however I did buy mine having only really considered a Giant or a Trek. If I was to go again, I would have researched a lot more brands and spent as much as I could afford on the bike and get accessories online. Good luck with the purchase, any more questions on the Defy feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭whacker00

i would have to agree with johnk, i am a newbie myself and got a giant defy 3 on the cycle to work about a month ago. cant say a word wrong about it really top class bike for the money. managed to get the bike and squeeze in enough gear to keep a newbie going for a while at least, but im hooked and find myself online constantly looking for new stuff uhhhh ohhh must hide the credit card !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Like all the rest said, I too recommend you spend the full 1000 on the bike, buy your gear online. I only took up cycling a few months back and got the bike through the BTW scheme and like you originally planned spending 700 on the bike and the rest on gear but decided to put my own money towards a different bike after the BTW payment had been made and went for a bike priced at 999 but got it for 900 and then spent around 200 on gear ( mainly from eBay and wiggle). I'm already thinking about my next bike but will wait till next may/June before buying something. It really is addictive once you get started!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Bannergal

HI
    I'm in the same boat, have been in and out of shop and hours spent on the net trying to decide.
    Today I went into a shop with the intentions of getting a DEFY 3 as it has just been reduced to E715 but then the shop guy pushed me towards a TREK 1.2 for E800 reduced from E900. Can someone please give me advice as I honestly don't have a clue about bikes. I'm the same - saying I'm buying this bike and keeping it as I can't afford to upgrade, so when I buy I want to do it right. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I was in the same boat a few months ago.
    Looked at a lot of bikes and had my mind set on a Cube.
    I went to the Cyclesuperstore in Tallaght and sat on a few different bikes , Cubes , Lapierre, and a Giant Defy 1. Tried a few others in different shops.
    In the end I bought the Defy 1 as it seemed to fit me best. (if that makes sense). It cost me €1065 as they give a corporate discount.
    (Many shops won't give any discount if buying on the bike to work scheme )

I think you really have to sit on them on a trainer to get a proper fit.

Most of the bikes in the €1000 price bracket are very similarly spec'd. There was a thread a few months back where someone had put the spec's into a spreadsheet for easy comparison.
    I bought a few bits and bobs in Aldi and Lidl when they had cycling gear: pump, toolkit, clothing , helmet. (More than adequate for my needs).

Buy the best you can afford. (within reason) I'd certainly stretch to the full €1000 if you're availing of the bike to work scheme. The difference between €800 and €1000 works out at about €8 a month if you pay tax at the higher rate..

I'm happy with the Defy 1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭johnk123

Bannergal wrote: »
    HI
    I'm in the same boat, have been in and out of shop and hours spent on the net trying to decide.
    Today I went into a shop with the intentions of getting a DEFY 3 as it has just been reduced to E715 but then the shop guy pushed me towards a TREK 1.2 for E800 reduced from E900. Can someone please give me advice as I honestly don't have a clue about bikes. I'm the same - saying I'm buying this bike and keeping it as I can't afford to upgrade, so when I buy I want to do it right. Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you
    Off the top of my head, I think the 1.2 has a double and the Defy 3 runs a triple. May be another thing to consider depending on your fitness, terrain you plan on riding etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

accessories:

bottle cage
    lights
    lock
    pump

nothing else needed for commuting or semi-causal spins, next would be padded shorts IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Bannergal

Now i'm even more confused...rang another shop this morning and they said the Womans Trek ZW95 is the best cause it has full tiagara and that is €899, the Trek 1.2 is €899, Defy 3 €715 and Trek 1.5 €999.....oh this is proving to be a very difficult choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If they're all similarly spec'd then go and see them in the flesh. When I was buying I had it down to three bikes. I went for a Ridley Compact with full Tiagra group set as I reckoned that's all I needed starting off and would be more than enough to cope with my needs. The other bikes were all Sora spec'd bikes with sora and micro shifters. The tiagra shifters are easier to use IMO and the Compact is lovely looking bike so my choice was made.

You could spend anOther 3 months looking at various bikes on the net but you need to go and see them and test ride them if possible and then pick one and purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Frankay

Cheers! for all the replies!

Went for a Giant Defy 2 and a helmet... the I felt that wasn't enough so I bought shorts and a jersey... and a lock, pump, lights, tubes, water bottles & gloves.

Well kitted I hope! Have to wait for approval from the Cycle to work scheme and then get some Km's in the legs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MRLAZY

How do you find the defy 2. i was looking at one just a few minutes ago for 899e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

While not trying to make your life more complicated, can I suggest you give the Boardman range a look in Halford's - once you get past the fact that it's Halford's, the bikes are well spec'ed, look great and imo, are great value for money......

Boardman Road Comp Bike 2011/2012

and for the ladies.....

Boardman Fi Road Comp Bike 2011/2012

Good components and tidy cable routing - you migt also be able to negotiate a deal on some accessories.

Finally, a word of caution on locks - if you are going to lock your new prize steed somewhere - you'll need two locks - a U-lock and a cable lock. Both of these require different tools to break and it would be unusual for a thieving scroat to be carrying both types of tool. You should aim to spend at least 10% of value of your bike on lock(s).

If you get a lock as a freebie get rid of it, chances are it's crap.

Advertisement