Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hen pheasants

Options
  • 22-07-2012 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Found a dead hen pheasant yesterday that was caught in the mower when the farmer was cutting the hay and another one today that was just lying at the edge of a corn field completly soaked from the rain and the dog put up a young pheasant that had no hen with it in the same field

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

Sadly it happens an awful lot during the harvest. 90% of it has to do with how the driver of the silage harvester or combine opens the field. Most just keep circling the borders until theres 1 final strip in the middle of the field and this is where all of the wildlife are forced to take cover. I used to be a farm manager before I got the gamekeeper job I have now and I always made the lads open the field by doing a strip up the middle first. That way the field is cut from the middle out and then the birds and any other wildlife has a very good chance to make it to the ditch instead of getting trapped in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭cubbyleader

It's going to be a terrible year for pheasants down here it's bad news when the adult birds can't survive and all of our shooting is on wild pheasants we don't rear any birds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

It's going to be a terrible year for pheasants down here it's bad news when the adult birds can't survive and all of our shooting is on wild pheasants we don't rear any birds
    Same here, loads of land that was always long grass with ditches and loads of cover has been turned into barly and oats and all the ditches filled in :( reckon there is a load of birds around but when cutting starts it'll cause havoc id say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭charlie10

famer rang me last week where i have feeders and he told me he hit a nest while cutting grass i thought they would nest in a ditch no???:confused:

Advertisement