Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airlink and Leap card

Options
  • 19-07-2012 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭

Hi,

It's possible to use leap card to get to the airport using Airlink bus?
    I'm using leap card for luas only and now that's why i'm asking.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Leap is accepted on 747

Flat fare of 6 euro from the validator

If you would like to pay for more than one passenger, use the drivers machine and ask for a second ticket, 6 euro each as normal

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Leap is accepted on 747

Flat fare of 6 euro from the validator

If you would like to pay for more than one passenger, use the drivers machine and ask for a second ticket, 6 euro each as normal

Do you mean validator on the luas stop?
    So the driver will check my card right?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

sebphoto wrote: »
    It's possible to use leap card to get to the airport using Airlink bus?
    Yes. Fare is the same - €6. It may be cheaper to buy the return ticket for €10, but check the validity period.

Many Dublin Bus tickets are also valid on Airlink and may be cheaper.
    Do you mean validator on the luas stop?
    No, on the bus.
    So the driver will check my card right?
    No. You need to validate your Leap card every time you get on a bus. It might be useful for you the check the rules when using Dublin Bus.

At Luas TVMs (and possibly Luas and Dublin Bus Ticket Agents), you can get a 1-day Combi ticket for € 7.80 that is valid in all zones on both Luas lines and on Dublin Bus.

Tickets bought from Dublin Bus Agents must be validated first on Dublin Bus before you travel on Luas.

Note some tickets refer to consecutive days travel. Others count individual days travel, e.g. Rambler 30 Day Adult €115.00 is 30 days travel in about an 18 month period.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/2-Journey-Daily-Weekly/
    Adult Tickets

Adult Tickets
    Bus Tickets

Rambler 1 Day Adult €6.50

Valid for unlimited travel for 1 day
    Valid on Dublin Bus scheduled services including Airlink and Xpresso (excluding Nitelink, Tours, Special Events and Private Contract services)
    No CIE photo ID required
    Buy Now

Rambler 3 Day Adult €14.20

Valid for unlimited 4ravel for 3 non-consecutive days
    Valid on Dublin Bus scheduled services including Airlink and Xpresso (excluding Nitelink, Tours, Special Events and Private Contract services)
    No CIE photo ID required
    Buy Now

Rambler 5 Day Adult €23.00

Valid for unlimited travel for 5 non-consecutive days
    No CIE photo ID required
    Buy Now

10 Journey Travel 90 Adult €21.50

Valid for 10 journeys of 90 minutes unlimited travel
    Valid on Dublin Bus scheduled services including Xpresso (excluding Airlink, Nitelink, Tours, Special Events and Private Contract services)
    Tickets are for individual use only and may not be used by a group
    No CIE photo ID required
    Buy Now

Rambler 30 Day Adult €115.00

Valid for unlimited travel for 30 non-consecutive days
    No CIE photo ID required
    Buy Now

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Fares--Tickets/Tickets/2-Journey-Daily-Weekly/Bus--Luas-Tickets/
    Bus and Luas Tickets

Adult 1 Day Bus/Luas €7.80

Valid for unlimited travel for 1 day
    Valid on Dublin Bus scheduled services including Airlink and Xpresso (excluding Nitelink, Tours, Special Events and Private Contract services) and on Luas services
    Buy now

Adult 7 Day Bus/Luas €31.50

Valid for unlimited travel for 7 consecutive days
    Valid on Dublin Bus scheduled services including Airlink and Xpresso (excluding Nitelink, Tours, Special Events and Private Contract services) and on Luas services
    Buy now

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭sebphoto

Victor wrote: »
    Yes. Fare is the same - €6. It may be cheaper to buy the return ticket for €10, but check the validity period.

Many Dublin Bus tickets are also valid on Airlink and may be cheaper.

No, on the bus.

No. You need to validate your Leap card every time you get on a bus. It might be useful for you the check the rules when using Dublin Bus.

So validation has to be done just once, not twice (before boarding and after get off) as it is while using Luas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

So the guff about leap fares being cheaper than cash was just guff then?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Shame it's not half the price of the return fare, ie €5 ...or credits your Leap Card with a 1 day Rambler ticket seeing as it's the same price and valid on the Airlink. Though obviously that would just be too "smart" for this smart card.

So the guff about leap fares being cheaper than cash was just guff then?
    The vast majority of single fares are cheaper. Off the top of my head, this is the only one where it is the same.

I'm not sure how much control the NTA have over Airlink pricing
    AngryLips wrote: »
    Shame it's not half the price of the return fare, ie €5 ...or credits your Leap Card
    Agreed. I'm not certain, but I think this is Dublin Bus's only return fare.
    with a 1 day Rambler ticket seeing as it's the same price and valid on the Airlink. Though obviously that would just be too "smart" for this smart card.
    The ability to load products will come in time. Realise that in other countries, such systems took years to implement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

So validation has to be done just once, not twice (before boarding and after get off) as it is while using Luas?
    Yes, When using your Leap card on Dublin Bus you only validate it on the card reader on the right inside the door or the drivers card reader when getting on the bus. Don't "tag-off" as you will be charged twice.

Victor wrote: »
    The vast majority of single fares are cheaper. Off the top of my head, this is the only one where it is the same.

Night link is the same too, however leapcard states

"You pay less with a leapcard than when you pay a single fare with cash"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,639 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Both airlink and nitelink are commercial operations and as such are not subsidised. Why would DB give a discount if they're getting no subsidy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Night link is the same too, however leapcard states

"You pay less with a leapcard than when you pay a single fare with cash"

No it says "you can get upto..."

Go to www.leapcard.ie
    Click on
    "What is a leapcard"

Read what I quoted

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

Go to www.leapcard.ie
    Click on
    "What is a leapcard"

Read what I quoted
    What is your actual point? Yeah, fair enough, airport express and night bus service Leap fares are the same as cash. I'm sure these exceptions are somewhere in the small print.

For the vast majority of passenger journeys the Leap fare is cheaper than the equivalent cash fare. That's the marketing message. It's hardly intentionally misleading, and suggesting that it is is ever so slightly paranoid.

There are far more serious problems with Leap, such as the lack of prepaid tickets or fare capping. This is really not one of them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

lxflyer wrote: »
    Both airlink and nitelink are commercial operations and as such are not subsidised. Why would DB give a discount if they're getting no subsidy?

Because it should be in DB's commercial interest to get everyone on leap or smart cards. so that they can reduce cash handling costs and improve dwell times.

You know, like pretty much every other bus operator in Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

bk wrote: »
    Because it should be in DB's commercial interest to get everyone on leap or smart cards. so that they can reduce cash handling costs and improve dwell times.

In a European context,devised and overseen by real Europeans this would be all quite normal and Leapcard would have been engineered with this in mind from Day 1.

However.......this is Ireland,and Leapcard was introduced as an Irish solution to an Irish problem,one which we then compounded from the beginng.

What we have now is a very good highly capable system being operated at a fraction of it's capabilities and destined to remain that way due to the TOTAL inability of Irish administrators to recognise that rather basic European Public Transport principle......"The GREATER Good". :rolleyes: :o :rolleyes:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

I accept your broad point, but these are premium services over and above the normal bus service. They have to pay their way.

I don't see why there HAS to be a discount? They both take Leap so Leap cardholders can use them.

No one is going to get a LEAP card just because Airlink and Nitelink potentially had a discount on them - it's the primary bus service that would be the reason and they do offer a discount.

etchyed wrote: »
    What is your actual point?

My point is that the leapcard website is wrong.
    Now either the nta are incompetent and don't know that their site is factually incorrect, or they do know and are lying.

Another issue tangentially relayed to leap and airlink is the limited number of countries the nta will sell a leap card to. They only sell to the EU countries, so American, Arab, Turkish, Swiss etc, passengers flying into Dublin can't get a leap card before they arrive. But hey there's no discount on airlink anyway so it doesn't matter ;)

Frankly most visitors will find prepaid tickets of more usefulness than a LEAP card.

Either way I think you're being pedantic in the extreme. You're selecting two premium services out of the entire portfolio of public transport in Dublin and making a mountain out of a molehill.

Rather than suggesting lies or incompetence, perhaps it's a genuine error. But then again you don't seem to allow for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭etchyed

Now either the nta are incompetent and don't know that their site is factually incorrect, or they do know and are lying.
    The lack of cheaper Leap fares for Airlink and Nitelink services is such a minor exception to the rule that Leap fares are cheaper, affecting such a tiny proportion of passenger journeys, that it is hardly worth mentioning in a marketing message.

Your to-the-letter interpretation of this message as being intentionally misleading or the result of incompetence is either disingenuous or mildly autistic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Another issue tangentially relayed to leap and airlink is the limited number of countries the nta will sell a leap card to. They only sell to the EU countries, so American, Arab, Turkish, Swiss etc, passengers flying into Dublin can't get a leap card before they arrive. But hey there's no discount on airlink anyway so it doesn't matter ;)

TBH, I think even selling off to other countries is reaching out too far, considering it's availability in News Agents. The only real thing that's needed which may be dependant on budget / DAA Approval is clear signage in the Airports advertising where it's available to purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭wile1000

If you're super keen to have a cheaper Airlink experience, get a 3-day Rambler ticket (currently €14.20) which are valid on the 747. It entitles you to unlimited bus travel all day, but even if you don't take any other bus the day you go to/from the airport, the fare works out to be €4.73 per trip. And the ticket can be used on non-consecutive days too - great for keeping in the wallet for the next trip to the airport.

DB promote rambler tickets at the airport (gents loos anyway!). :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

All leap card customers are being misled not just airlink passengers. Luas customer care are telling people at Heuston that they can buy a card in the station and use it on the luas but also by validating it on the buses on the reader inside the door. They don't tell people if their fare is over €2.15 or if they need to get two buses they should think about the travel90 or that for lower fares they need to tell the driver and validate at the drivers card reader.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

foggy_lad wrote: »
    All leap card customers are being misled not just airlink passengers. Luas customer care are telling people at Heuston that they can buy a card in the station and use it on the luas but also by validating it on the buses on the reader inside the door. They don't tell people if their fare is over €2.15 or if they need to get two buses they should think about the travel90 or that for lower fares they need to tell the driver and validate at the drivers card reader.

I call it a CONSPIRACY.....!

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement