Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House details on 1901 census v 1911 census

Options
  • 16-07-2012 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭

Take the following example.

Person X appears in the 1901 census.

They die before 1911.

Person Y [who did not appear in 1901] starts living in the house. And consequently appears in the 1911 census.

Is it possible to know that person Y lived in the house of person X in the 1901 census?

The reason I want to know is because I have a family on the 1911 census, but they do not appear in the 1901 census. Can I tell which family lived in that plot of land in 1901?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

depends on the location... If the house in question is in a city or large town and there are actual street numbers then it's often possible to match up 1901 and 1911. If a house has an actual number, then it's shown on the reverse of the 1911 Form A.

The numbers on the transcripts and forms in rural areas are enumerator references or site numbers and it's not usually possible to match the two returns for these - unless you are dealing with a smaller townland where most of the occupants are the same on both returns, or a townland with distinctive buildings - i.e. on the Form B1.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭WHL

On a similar point, is there any way of showing the location of houses within a rural townland at the time of the 1901 census. I just found out that my great grandfather seems to have owned a second uninhabited house which had disappeared by 1911. As the land is still within the family, I'd love to know where it was

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

not using details from census returns unfortunately - the reference numbers were decided by the individual enumerators and based on their own systems. A couple of people have asked about maps that match up with the site numbers on the returns - but I've never heard of any success with this..

I've checked the sequences for two sample townlands (one rural, the other now in the suburbs) that I already have good details on, for both the 1901 and 1911 returns - and found there was no logical pattern to the order.

Maybe following forward from Griffith's through the cancelled land books would be a way to learn more about this house...

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

You might get lucky with the OSI Historic Maps. The Historic 25" sets of maps were created between (I think) 1888 and 1910.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,591271,743300,0

They have the brilliant overlay feature where you can see topographical development from the first set of maps from the 1830s/40s through to the 1890s/1900s maps through to the modern day set.

If you have a gander at the townland you are interested in you might see changes from Griffith's through to 1901 census.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭WHL

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I'll check out both suggestions and report back

• Advertisement
Advertisement