Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBC Olympics Channels [Merged]

Options
  • 16-07-2012 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Just wondering if the BBC HD olympic channels will be FTA? I have a Panasonic V20L and its picking up the BBC olympic SD test signals at the moment. I understand that Freesat platform will allow access to these channels via the red button. Alas my TV doesnt have Freesat.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭John mac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

HD streams >
    11914 H 29500
    12129 V 29500
    12304 H 29500
    12422 H 29500
    12441 V 29500

Sd streams
    10876 V 22000
    10921 H 22000
    11469 H 27500

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nowso

HD streams >
    11914 H 29500
    12129 V 29500
    12304 H 29500
    12422 H 29500
    12441 V 29500

Sd streams
    10876 V 22000
    10921 H 22000
    11469 H 27500

for humax users hd streams dvb-s2. qpsk 3/4

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Wonder will they appear on the Irish EPG on Sky

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

no

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Infoanon wrote: »
    Unlikely to appear to any Sky EPG full stop (Various reasons, getting an EPG position involves normally long term carriage, cost of EPG number, limited memory on certain SD receivers etc.). I'm 99% certain it'll be Red Button service which will likely make it available to southern viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Sky's briefing on the extra coverage is here.
    What Olympic Games channels are showing in the Republic of Ireland?
    You won't be able to access the extra 24 live channels as the BBC is not the official broadcaster for this region.

Sky+HD RTÉ 2HD (channel 102 on the Sky TV listings) will show a wide range of exciting programmes including the Olympic Games this summer. If you're in the Republic of Ireland you can also access the Olympic Games channels by pressing the red button while watching the standard BBC channels (BBC1, BBC3, BBC One HD and BBC HD).

Always possible to use the "extra" card, I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Should be possible then to tune in to the SD streams via Other Channels, but the HD streams won't be possible on a Sky receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭orwellg84

Infoanon wrote: »

It is possible but there are two buts. You have to have a bit of saavy and have a UK card. If so, search the forums for the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 jujamax

Humax freesat users should be fine to watch and use red button

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Hi
    Just wondering if the BBC HD olympic channels will be FTA? I have a Panasonic V20L and its picking up the BBC olympic SD test signals at the moment. I understand that Freesat platform will allow access to these channels via the red button. Alas my TV doesnt have Freesat.
    Thanks

Great news and thanks for the link

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭marclt

lawhec wrote: »
    Unlikely to appear to any Sky EPG full stop (Various reasons, getting an EPG position involves normally long term carriage, cost of EPG number, limited memory on certain SD receivers etc.). I'm 99% certain it'll be Red Button service which will likely make it available to southern viewers.

My understanding is that in the UK/NI the additional channels will appear on the EPG, channels 450+.

Although they may be accessible by the red button.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Johnny Johnson

marclt wrote: »
    My understanding is that in the UK/NI the additional channels will appear on the EPG, channels 450+.

Although they may be accessible by the red button.
    I did read that they will indeed be available via the red button also

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭mike2084

Handy list of tuning details on the BBC website

http://www.bbc.co.uk/reception/info/bbc_olympics_channels.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Doodah7

jujamax wrote: »
    Humax freesat users should be fine to watch and use red button

They will appear on the Freesat EPG from 25 July from Channel 150 onwards.

http://www.freesat.co.uk/bbc-olympics

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

As it is via the red button here in the ROI, will it not be very difficult to navigate 24 feeds. I pressume the Freesat channels will be in HD

As it is via the red button here in the ROI, will it not be very difficult to navigate 24 feeds. I pressume the Freesat channels will be in HD

Agreed. Freesat users will have a significant advantage over Sky subscribers. I have both and I know which I will be using. And yes, all of the channels will be in HD on Freesat.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

tallpaul wrote: »
    Agreed. Freesat users will have a significant advantage over Sky subscribers. I have both and I know which I will be using. And yes, all of the channels will be in HD on Freesat.

Just looked at the BBC site it gave the impression that the red button streams will be in HD if you have a HD box. I may have read this wrong but it appears to read that way. I wonder will this apply here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

If the red button streams are HD in the UK then there is no reason for them not to be here.

Just looked at the BBC site it gave the impression that the red button streams will be in HD if you have a HD box. I may have read this wrong but it appears to read that way. I wonder will this apply here?

They should be but the Humax Freesat box will be much easier to use, particularly as you can show a list of HD channels only by using the yellow button on the remote from the channel list.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

They just appeared on my Digiguide Channel Lists.
    Am I glad that I have NI Sky Sub.

Screenshot attached

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

The 24 BBC Olympic channels now on Sky EPG presumably UK EPG only.

They start on 450

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭sob1467

Will these be on Freesat as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

sob1467 wrote: »
    Will these be on Freesat as well?

Yes, they should be on Freesat by Wednesday.

http://www.freesat.co.uk/how-to/faqs/olympic-games/

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

A sample of what you will be missing ....

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Gipo3

eirman wrote: »
    A sample of what you will be missing ....

What do you mean, there fta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭eddiem10

Tut tut BBC, listing the channels on 10876 and 10921 as being from Astra 2D. ;) :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭mollser

all there on the Samsung freesat box this evening, looking forward to this! channels 150 through 174

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Will these be available on sky channels here?

Advertisement