Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Flight Report] KLM/Airfrance. DUB - AMS - NRT - CDG - DUB [Picture Heavy]

Options
  • 07-07-2012 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭

Hey all. I thought I would do an Airliner.net style flight report from my recent trip to Japan in May.
    My route consisted of 4 different airlines, and 4 different aircraft. Aer Lingus A320, KLM 747, Air France A380, and finally City Jet Avro RJ.

My trip began when I caught the 3:30am bus to Dublin Airport from my home, and arriving at the airport shortly before 6am.

Part One.

First leg: 09:40am
    Dublin - Amsterdam
    Aer Lingus a320.

My frist time flying from terminal 2, I was looking forward to experiencing the new facilities. It was actually quite busy at that hour with a lot of US bound flights checking in.
    I had already checked in online before I left, so I brought my bag to the desk where the very friendly girl behind the counter saw my final destination and said she would check in my bag the whole way through so I wouldnt have to pick it up in AMS.

kNwNa.jpg?1

l4Txw.jpg?1

Security was a breeze with little or no queue, and once through I had a good few hours to kill before my flight, so I took a look at the shops and wandered a bit.
    Duty free offered a decent enough selection, and for some reason reminded me of Heathrow a bit. I did notice that on the upper floor where Burger King is located, there is a lot of of unused space for shops or other things.
    After getting bored of this I went down to the windowside cafe for a bit of plane spotting.

yZPNQ.jpg

One thing that caught mine and other passengers attention, was that the P.A system to call passengers was seemingly treated as a complete joke. Whoever was put in charge of it seemed to be constantly skitting and laughing, sniggering and completely forgetting what she was trying to say every time. It was like a hyper 17 year old girl was operating it and it was extremely unprofessional and annoying.

After much boredom I made my way to the gate, which was a very short walk. Queuing was done nice and timely and we boarded our flight with no hassle.

The flight left on time and we had a smooth flight all the way to Amsterdam. I always find aer lingus to be fairly comfortable and nice, and would always try to chose them over ryanair. Aside from that, there really isnt anything remarkable about them. Aircraft was about 3/4 full, and luckily nobody was sitting beside me :D.

QJSeG.jpg?1

twqg4.jpg?1
    Decent enough legroom

ymLjB.jpg?1

8g48I.jpg?1

Landing in Amsterdam, I was shocked to see how far of a taxi we had to the terminal. The airports control tower in the distance was a good few km away and if I remember correctly it took us about 15 minutes. No delays anyway :D

Part 2 shortly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Disembarquing in Amsterdam was done quickly, and once inside the terminal building, there was machine's a short distance away to print my next leg's ticket. Fairly easy to use and they give you many options to print your connecting ticket.
    The woman beside me was in difficulty however, the machine didn't seem to have her details. I tried to help her but to no avail.
    She had just got off the same flight as me and her next connection was to Keflavik, Iceland. (just thought that was interesting).

Amsterdam operates all flights in one single terminal unlike most other airports, this made it a fairly big place but everything was sign posted with how long of a walk one would have to their gates etc.

The shopping and restaraunt area here was absolutely gigantic, with so much to chose from. Really a great place for a connection, it even has showers and massage area's you can avail of. I just got a small bowl of pasta and picked up an AirlinersWorld magazine, which I paid a whopping €13 for :eek:. I knew I should have picked it up in Dublin :rolleyes:

and of course, some plane spotting was in order for me.

9y8uA.jpg?1

Hm8S0.jpg?1

WUk10.jpg?1

Seond leg: 14:55
    Amsterdam - Tokyo, Narita.
    KLM 747-400.
    Flight time 10 hours 30 minutes

I made my way to the gate, having to go through a brief security check which surprised me.
    It was a whole hour before my flight, yet they were calling passengers for the flight. I didn't want to board so I just sat at the gate for a few minutes until a KLM staff member came around and informed me to go queue.
    We were actually put through another security checkpoint, and then all the passengers were put into this large room/mini gate. There was hardly enough seats for everybody and it was un-airconditioned so it was a bit hectic and annoying. Eventually, after about 30 minutes they started to call passengers for boarding. A slow enough process.

The aircraft I was flying on, looked old and dirty. Maybe this was a bad thing to other passengers, but for me, it lovely as looking it at I knew the 747-406, named "The City of Bangkok", was nothing short of a powerful workhorse, a pure beast of a machine :D

lpDAf.jpg?1

7f3VE.jpg?1

Once on board the aircraft I took my seat and waited to go. My seat which was 23A, was a good one because it was towards the front of the aircraft, and there was a galley wall in the way. So instead of a large cabin 3x4x3 feel, it was just 3 seats and then a wall, so it felt nice and quiet.

The aircraft itself seemed a bit old, but it was comfortable at least and to make things better there was nobody sitting beside me again :D
    The leg room was very good.

5n1s4.jpg?1

We got going, and shortly after take off, they came around and gave us peanuts and drinks, as well as our blankets and headphones.
    No more than an hour later we were served our first meal. A Japanese style curry and rice, with salad and other bits. It was actually quite nice.
    I tried to hide my lame chopstick skills from the Japanese business man who was sitting on the aisle seat :D

Sp1Uy.jpg?1

Shortly after we were over Russia, I was asked to close my window shutter as it was a night time flight, even though it was bright the whole way. So much for getting to see some cool siberian landscape :(
    I wrapped my legs in the blanket they gave us, and attempted to get some shut eye.
    I can't remember how long I was asleep for, but I was abruptly awoken by one of the cabin crew members, who seemed adament in giving me a small tub of ice-cream and a cup of tea, something which I shall never turn down hehe.

I should note that the KLM service was fantastic, they came around so often with tea, chocolate, and other food bits. They really spoilt us and thats what I like to see in an airline.
    I heard so many bad things and reviews about them, but after this experience I would highly recommend them. Great airline.

continued-

The in flight entertainment system was old and awkward to use. The buttons were tiny on the control-pad. Me not being one for television or games in general, just set it on the flight route map and left it like that for the whole journey.

3vh7m.jpg?1

About 2 or 3 hours before landing we were served breakfast. Some sort of scrambled egg and vegetable's. Also came with fruit and sweet cake and was nice once again.

gR5Dd.jpg?1

We descended over Japan, and I opened my window for the first time only to be blinded by the light. The cabin itself is fairly dull. Not much was to be seen in terms of scenery because it was a cloudy, foggy, rainy day.
    Some nice views were caught just before landing, lovely little villages, and miles upon miles of water-logged rice fields.

Landing at Narita, I noticed how the airport had a 2-fold gigantic security fence with guard towers lining it. It looked like something you would see in a max security American prison. But due to previous research, I knew this was from all the historical problems that have surrounded the airport. There is a strong anti-expansion campaign in the locality, which resulted in riots and death years before hand.

WnhCk.jpg?1

Nxezk.jpg?1
    View of my seat

Once landed and taxii'd to gate, I exited the plane and went straight to the toilets to change out of my shirt that I had been wearing for the whole flight and was feeling uncomfortable in.
    But this is when I got my first experience of Japan. I looked in complete confusion at the big bulky toilet, which had many features, buttons, and various electronics. I hadnt a clue how to flush it, after any minutes of fumbling I discovered they're flushed nearly exactly the same as western toilets

Security was simple enough and I exited the terminal to the underground trainstation to pick up my Japan Rail pass. This took about an hour of queueing in an absolutely roasting room.

I spent the next 2 weeks exploring Japan and having a great time. I may wirte up a trip report for that some other time, but the sheer length of it throws me off doing it.

Rest of this report coming in a few hours

After my long trip I made it back to Narita Airport on Saturday morning. Narita Airport is served by a really handy Express train which goes direct from Tokyo station every 30 minutes or so to each terminal, it takes about an hour and is free if you have a Japanese Rail Pass.

Third leg: 11:55am
    Narita - Paris CDG
    Air France A380
    Flight time 11 hours 30 minutes

The first thing that struck me about Narita was that even before I entered the airport there was a security check, and signs everywhere notifying "Baggage searches ahead". Luckily, only my passport was checked and I was sent on my way.
    I took the escalater up to the terminal (which you can bring baggage trolleys on. Just thought it was strange).
    I checked in on the Air France ticket machine and queued up to drop my bag at the Air France desk. The queue was fairly big and took about 30 minutes in total, but the Japanese check in staff were very helpful and informed me that my bag was checked in the whole way to Dublin.

I immediately went to queue to go through security which was also a very long line, and took about 30 minutes. No problems, just the usual emptying hundreds of random coins into the tray, seperating the euro from the yen, laptops out of the bag, watches off, etc :rolleyes:. I do loathe security sometimes.

Straight outta security and right into immigration. My passport was stamped and I was sent to the gate. At this stage there was only about an hour left so I was in a little bit of a rush, but my gate was only around the corner so I decided to have one last delicious bowl of Shoyu Ramen before I left Japan. Just as I sat down to eat it, the P.A system was calling for all Air France passengers to come to the gate immediately! shortly followed by staff coming around and telling me to make my way to the gate.
    So I shovelled the ramen down my throat with my best chopstick abilities, burning the absolute mouth off myself in the process and leaving a quarter of my lovely meal left in the bowl.
    I jogged around the corner, and low and behold there is a queue of more 100 people for my flight. Very annoyed I was.

I took the opportunity to sit down and snap some pictures of the A380, which is huge. You really cant get an idea of the size of it until you see it for yourself up close.

AQKbO.jpg?1

The cabin of the aircraft is new, modern and bright. Some people say Air Frances cabin is boring and plain but it was better than I expected to be. My seat was in the rear cabin, on the lower deck. Seat 48A I think.
    The flight seemed to be mostly full with no empty seats around, so there was 2 elderly Japanese ladies sitting beside me. I was reluctant to get up and move about as much as I would liked to during the flight due to them but what can you do.

After my rushed experience in the airport, I wasnt in the best of moods. But now there was a commotion at towards the front of the Cabin. It seems a French lady with her baby wanted to sit on the floor for take off. I dont know what she was thinking but it took the cabin crew a few minutes to persuade her to sit in her seat. This annoyed me for some reason.
    Then the person sitting in front of me tried to adjust his head-rest. He pushed it so hard that the head rest flew off the seat, bounced off the roof, and landed right down on my lap. I didn't care, I just smiled and handed it back to him. I got a dirty look.

A nice little feature of the A380 is that it has cameras mounted on the outside of the plane, on the tail, the nose, and the belly. You can view these as you please throughout the flight, but for take off its set to the tail view.
    8kAqg.jpg?1

The inflight entertainment system was easier to use than KLM's and had many more features, including in flight instant messaging. Each passenger could log into a chatroom and talk away. It seems I was the only person on the entire plane that wanted to use it though.

TBMme.jpg?1
    this picture does no justice to the pure size of that wing.

Shortly after take off were handed menu cards with a selection of dishes for our meals. I chose salmon for both my dinner and lunch.
    I must say that the quality of food on Air France is superb! Very nice meal, like something I would expect from a restaurant.

EFVqJ.jpg?1

After our meal, the cabin crew disappeared and were never to be heard from again. If you wanted a drink or food you had to go up to the front of the galley, and pour yourself one from the many 2 litre bottle's of coke scattered there. The only snack options they had were small ice creams, and peanuts.

Time for more mischief and annoyance! I got up to get my pillow out of the overhead bins. When I opened it I was met with an avalanche of duty free and bags. 2 one litre bottles of water fell right down on top of a French guys head sitting on the aisle seat infront of mine. I apologized in Japanese without thinking, not that he cared what I said because he gave me a blinding talking to in French. How nice :rolleyes:

I sat back down, in great mood alltogether and endured the next several hours of the flight bored out of my brain. I dont know what it was, but the flight back was much more tedius. Probably due to the fact that I was returning to Ireland and was finished my holiday.

The legroom on the A380 actually felt quite cramped. There was a big bar under the seat infront so I couldnt really stretch my legs much, and I suppose my backpack didnt help either. I preferred the 747.

G0eEc.jpg?1

As we flew down over northern Europe and Finland I was standing waiting for the toilet to be free. This is when I spotted something strange, a Japanese man appeared to be desperately trying to wake his wife up. Slapping her in the face constantly. I got a bit worried and was just about to offer my help when she awoke, and the cabin crew came over to help.
    Being terribly selfish, and not in the greatest of moods I said grand, and proceeded to go to the toilet.
    When I finished, I came out and told the cabin crew if they wanted any help I could lend a hand. (I'm a community responder). Gladly I didnt have to put my CPR skills to use.
    The cabin crew layed her out on a bed in the back of the cabin and gave her oxygen and went through the drills etc. She was very sick, puked twice, and had a pulse rate of 36 iirc. Thats very low. Normal pulse rate is about 60-100.
    She had no other complaints of pain or anything, just very thirsty and tired. Im no doctor so as long as she wasnt having a heart attack then there's not much more I could do. Cabin crew and myself monitered her for the next 2 hours and her situation improved greatly as we landed.

Before landing we were served our second meal. Salmon once again, it was very nice. Props to Air France for their great food.

w3Eoa.jpg?1

Landing on time in Paris, it took a while to empty the plane. I usually wait until everyone is gone before getting up as I hate the hustle and bustle of rushing. No point to it really. The Cabin crew thanks me greatly for what little help I could give and I left.

Caught one last nice view of the aircraft at the stand before I made my way to the next part of my journey.

NCNgL.jpg?1

Fourth leg: around 5pm?
    Paris CDG - Dublin
    City Jet Avro RJ

Aaahhh Charles de Gaulle airport, everybodies favorite travel hub! NOT. I hate this airport with a passion and this time my experiences were no better than the previous ones.

After leaving the A380, I had to get a train to the main terminal building. I was unsure which stop I had to get off at so I asked the customer service desk. I was met by this slack jawed moron who continued having a conversation with his friend for a few minutes before turning my direction. He seemed to find it hilarious that I was asking such a question, and gave me an extremely sarcastic reply "get the train". Well no sh*t, I just walked away and got on the train. I could see he was treating other passengers similarly.

Luckily I got off at the right stop, and proceeded to go through security which was fairly hectic but no problem. When I got to my gate I had a good hour and 30 minutes to spare so I sat around and watched the few planes I could see.
    k4pJV.jpg?1

When it was time to go through the gate it was done fairly quickly, but we were then put on a bus and driven to the ramp.
    I stood for the next 20 minutes in the hot packed bus while we waited for somebody to come along and help a disabled passenger get off our plane. To think that she had been there since the plane had landed (probably at least 30 minutes or more) and nobody showed up. In the end, she climbed down the stairs over the shoulders of 2 ground crew.

We boarded, but 10 minutes past our departure time.
    The AVRO RJ is a small aircraft and my seat was tiny. There was hardly any leg room, and to make things worse I was sitting beside a very heavy woman. After travelling for nearly 17 hours at this stage since I left my hostel in Tokyo I was fairly cramped and tired and the tiny cabin of the AVRO RJ didnt help.

aVeyU.jpg?1

I thought we would never arrive in Dublin. The final flight was the worst because at this stage I was sick of flying (as much as I love it).
    The AVRO RJ cabin is extremely loud. Loud enough that it hurt my ears, and I couldnt hear a word the crew were announcing over the P.A.
    At least City Jet give out free sandwiches and drinks, but I passed on the food as the first thing I was going to do when I got home was get a big dirty mc-donalds and milkshake.

Hybug.jpg?1

I was treated to a nice view of the Wicklow mountains as we descended over a clear sunny Ireland. Landing at about 19:35pm it was 26 degrees and I made my way through terminal 1 and out to be picked up by my parents for the 2 hour drive home.

1tYqU.jpg?1

I knew I was back in Ireland when driving down the m50 I saw a sight that is unique to our country, it really brought me a sense of being close to home once again. It was none other than a crappy banged up boy racer car flying down the road with some lad off his tits hanging out the window making monkey motions. Ah good ol Ireland eh?

Well thats the end of my flight report, I hope you were able to bare with my crappy writing style, many typos and spelling mistakes and other errors.
    If you have any questions feel free to ask and if you notice anything wrong say so.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Great review, Coco...

Would love to fly on the a380 sometime.

• Advertisement

aw wrote: »
    Great review, Coco...

Would love to fly on the a380 sometime.

Its great for the experience, but to be honest I'd avoid flying on it again. 747 all the way :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mysticalman

Absolutely excellent report....I enjoyed every minute of it. I felt as if I was on the journey with you. I am terrified of flying but this story has somewhat eased my fear a little. I am flying to Eindhoven in August....any tips to relax me would be very much appreciated. Again well done with this great report. Thanks.

Absolutely excellent report....I enjoyed every minute of it. I felt as if I was on the journey with you. I am terrified of flying but this story has somewhat eased my fear a little. I am flying to Eindhoven in August....any tips to relax me would be very much appreciated. Again well done with this great report. Thanks.

Hmmm, Im not really sure what tips I could give you. Just dont get worried about all the random sounds, clicks, and bangs I guess. Thats completely normal. Avoid alcohol, or so they say. If its the heights you're afraid of then get an aisle seat. The flight will be a bit bumpy at certain times but dont worry about it. Just imagine it like you're in a car.

Im terrible at giving advice on something like this :D:o

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Mysticalman

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Hmmm, Im not really sure what tips I could give you. Just dont get worried about all the random sounds, clicks, and bangs I guess. Thats completely normal. Avoid alcohol, or so they say. If its the heights you're afraid of then get an aisle seat. The flight will be a bit bumpy at certain times but dont worry about it. Just imagine it like you're in a car.

Im terrible at giving advice on something like this :D:o
    You're doing a good job so far:). Thanks very much for your reply. Great photos too....well done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Top class thread there coco, best review in this entire forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Bsal

Really enjoyed reading that, excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Enjoyed reading it , would love a flight on the A380 sometime,
    Salmon for both meals would annoy me though.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Its great for the experience, but to be honest I'd avoid flying on it again. 747 all the way :cool:

Ive flown the A380 around 20 times so far with Singapore Airlines.
    I think it might just of been the configuration for Air France or just the seat.

Ive flown 747-4 around 3 times and definitely the A380 was more comfortable.
    This I suppose also varys on the last time the 747 was refitted.

Enjoyed reading it , would love a flight on the A380 sometime,
    Salmon for both meals would annoy me though.

There was a choice of what meals you could have. I just picked salmon for mine.

Ive flown the A380 around 20 times so far with Singapore Airlines.
    I think it might just of been the configuration for Air France or just the seat.

Ive flown 747-4 around 3 times and definitely the A380 was more comfortable.
    This I suppose also varys on the last time the 747 was refitted.

Oh yeah Id say it was just Air France, Id try to avoid flying it on a cheap airline again. If I had the opportunity to fly Singapore Airlines A380 Id take it!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 MIDLANDSMAN

Excellent report. Full of interesting facts. It is especially interesting for me as I will travel to Tokyo in 8 weeks via Amsterdam with KLM and from Dublin to Amsterdam with Aer Lingus. I have a few quick questions, how long did you need to transfer from the Aer Lingus flight to the KLM in Schipol? Many queues or delays? Do you need to exit the airport and reenter through security? Can you check-in from Amsteram to Tokyo at Dublin or just check-in your bags at Dublin?

Thanks for the great detailed report.

Excellent report. Full of interesting facts. It is especially interesting for me as I will travel to Tokyo in 8 weeks via Amsterdam with KLM and from Dublin to Amsterdam with Aer Lingus. I have a few quick questions, how long did you need to transfer from the Aer Lingus flight to the KLM in Schipol? Many queues or delays? Do you need to exit the airport and reenter through security? Can you check-in from Amsteram to Tokyo at Dublin or just check-in your bags at Dublin?

Thanks for the great detailed report.

I had about 2 hours stopover, but you could probably do it in 40 minutes or less if you skipped shopping or going to restaraunts.
    You don't need to exit, just get out at your aer lingus gate, print your ticket at the nearby ticket machine, then walk down a short distance and your next gate will be there.

Baggage can be checked in the whole way so you don't need to pick it up. But I could only print my ticket for my aer lingus flight in Dublin before I left, so you will just need to do it on the machine in amsterdam for the KLM journey as I said. Have a nice trip, you will love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Excellent stuff man. Great read. Really great to see the KLM MD11 and of course the 747. So much more character than the A380.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭pclancy

I'd agree the Singapore A380 I have been on had lots of lovely legroom and felt a lot roomier then any 747 I've been on. Being able to stroll upstairs was nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 MIDLANDSMAN

Thanks for answering my questions about the flights to Japan. It sounds like it is straigh forward enough - if I can manage the 11 hour flight.

Thanks for answering my questions about the flights to Japan. It sounds like it is straigh forward enough - if I can manage the 11 hour flight.

The flight out is fine imo, probably because looking forward to the trip etc. But the flight back is another story :(

You should be grand. KLM area great airline, and all the food they gave me kept me occupied :D

• Advertisement

Incase anybody didnt notice, I have completed the entire trip report from my time spent in Japan. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056696321

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ronnie147

very good report i really enjoyed the read and the pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

Not sure what your day job is cocoshovel but you should consider changing it for a travel blogger/writer/inspector...!!!

Interested?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Not sure what your day job is cocoshovel but you should consider changing it for a travel blogger/writer/inspector...!!!

Interested?

The poster you are addressing has closed their account but I'll leave this open in event they're still here under a different guise :)

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Advertisement