Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Words you hate to see used

• 04-07-2012 11:32am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Some words just annoy me when used in a story. I can't put a finger on why exactly. A word can't really be a cliché on its own but yet the use of these words makes the writing feel that way. I think it could be that in 96% of cases there's no need to use these particular words and a less ornate one would suit better. Are there any words that wind you up this way?

Emanate and reverie do it for me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

ornate
    Sure sign of pretention in my book
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Pulling random percentages out of thin air to ornate a point does it for me.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Pulling random percentages out of thin air to ornate a point does it for me.

Using adjectives as verbs is another one, Father.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Tentatively - I hate the overuse of adverbs in general but this one in particular makes me see red.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Somewhat. There is no sentence that will be improved by adding the words 'somewhat.' (Even that sentence would be less annoying without it.)

Tad. People who aren't sure how to spell 'somewhat' use 'a tad.'

Compare: "Beveragelady's contribution to the discussion was unhelpful but predictable."
    "Beveragelady's contribution to the discussion was a tad unhelpful but somewhat predictable."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

A twist on the idea of this thread:

I like the word "embrace", but the editor of Limerick's Revival poetry magazine insisted I remove it from a poem before he'd publish it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Emanate and reverie do it for me

I absolutely hate "reverie". It just conjours up images of an innocent woman being completely unaware of her beauty when we all know that in real life she'd be posing. Hate it!!!

I always thought the Kings of Leon were singing 'Dreaming of Reverie'
    I like the word "embrace", but the editor of Limerick's Revival poetry magazine insisted I remove it from a poem before he'd publish it.

Why? And what did he make you replace it with?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Why? And what did he make you replace it with?

He cut the whole line out of it. "It was a bit chliched and obvious and superflous" (sic erat scriptum).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I hate the word "nice". There are hundreds of other words to describe something, rather than "nice". Should only be used to name the city in France or for a packet of biscuits.

• Advertisement

I hate the word "nice". There are hundreds of other words to describe something, rather than "nice". Should only be used to name the city in Italy or for a packet of biscuits.

Che?

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Achillles

Should only be used to name the city in Italy

Eh France maybe?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Yes sorry, don't know what I was thinking of. Shall edit :eek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Achillles wrote: »
    Eh France maybe?:D

Never! Viva Garibaldi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

Anyone that uses big, complicated words that require a dictionary to work out what they're trying to convey. I wish some authors would stick to simple words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

I hate it when authors make up their own words to give their work some colour, when there are real words which would do the job just as well.

I read a lot of SF/F so I see it a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

I hate to see any word in print that isn't used in speech.
    Some politicians use 'emanate' a lot, so I'll modify that to words that ordinary people don't use when speaking. If you wouldn't say it then don't write it, unless it's a historical novel and people used to say it.

When did you last hear somebody say 'reverie'?

I don't like 'nice' and 'good'. The legacy of an English teacher who always stuck a red line through them with the order 'seek alternative for this lazy word'. Sadly I'm still lazy so use them more than I should but hate to see others doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SpaceRocket

'Wreathed' and 'palatial'.
    I had the misfortune of going on holidays once where the only english book available to read was a Cathy Kelly.
    I can now no longer see those words witout wanting to scream at her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Quatermain

Anyone that uses big, complicated words that require a dictionary to work out what they're trying to convey. I wish some authors would stick to simple words.

Sirrah, I'm anaspeptic, prasmotic, even compunctuous to imagine you would think of such pericombobulations.

The only word I can think of is:
    pulchritudinous
    It means beautiful (from the Latin pulchrutudin) but it such an ugly, ungainly word that it doesn't suit its purpose. Then again, I've only seen it used by one writer, AA Gill, who has introduced me to so many wonderful words such as tinntinabulation (the ringing of little bells) and bituminous (relating to coal and tar substances) that he can be forgiven. Truth be told, I love words; the big, the small, the pretentious, the archaic and the ridiculous (honorificabilitudinity!)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    The only word I can think of is:
    pulchritudinous
    It means beautiful (from the Latin pulchrutudin) but it such an ugly, ungainly word that it doesn't suit its purpose. Then again, I've only seen it used by one writer, AA Gill, who has introduced me to so many wonderful words such as tinntinabulation (the ringing of little bells) and bituminous (relating to coal and tar substances) that he can be forgiven. Truth be told, I love words; the big, the small, the pretentious, the archaic and the ridiculous (honorificabilitudinity!)

I'm with you. I love all sorts of words.

The only things that irk me are repetition and poorly chosen words.

I wouldn't agree at all that a writer should only use words that people speak regularly. If we were to stick to that, the pool of words from which we can choose would be ever decreasing. There's also the factor of different people using different words. I've said the word reverie in a sentence *shock*. Just because no one you know would, is not to say that no one does.

Word choice can be very important in characterisation. For instance, if a character were to eschew rather than avoid something, it gives the reader a clue to the type of character he is. Slightly pretentious. :D

Totally agree on pulchritudinous. It's the least apt-sounding word in the English language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    It means beautiful (from the Latin pulchrutudin) but it such an ugly, ungainly word that it doesn't suit its purpose.)

I've seen a male columnist use it in the Irish Times; in a article about the annual media hoo-haa over the Leaving Cert, he referred to pictures of "pulchritudinous schoolgirls" in the papers...presumably because he didn't want to write "hot schoolgirls" and have everyone think he was a massive perv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Toasterspark, you have given me hope!

I'm in the middle of reading a fantastic book on Authonomy, about to give it 6 stars and a bookshelving and there it is, sitting in the middle of the page, like a pig with a flick-knife ****ting on the axminster.

Reverie.

You have to let things go sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Dove as a verb. It's dived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

As a reader of erotica, I find using the words "her sex", "down there" or "his member" or "her flaxen quim" drives me batty.

McChubbin wrote: »
    As a reader of erotica, I find using the words "her sex", "down there" or "his member" or "her flaxen quim" drives me batty.

My pet peeve in that regard is "her breast tips" when referring to nipples. Sounds like a starter in a Barbecue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I hate the word "nice". There are hundreds of other words to describe something, rather than "nice". Should only be used to name the city in France or for a packet of biscuits.

Don't see the problem with the word nice - sometimes something is just 'nice'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 125 ✭✭pauline fayne

Myriad. I don't know why it annoys me , I guess I'm just cranky ! :confused:

Myriad. I don't know why it annoys me , I guess I'm just cranky ! :confused:

Especially when it's used incorrectly, e.g. 'a myriad of'.

Especially when it's used incorrectly, e.g. 'a myriad of'.

wha?
    A myriad is primarily a singular cardinal number; just as the "thousand" in "four thousand" is singular (one does not write "four thousands people") the word myriad is used in the same way: "there are four myriad people outside". When used as a noun, meaning "a large number", it follows the same rules as that phrase. However, that is not the case originally in Greek, where there is plural.

In English, the term "myriad" is most commonly used to refer to a large number of an unspecified size. In this way "myriad" can be used as either a noun or an adjective.[1] Thus both "there are myriad people outside" and "there is a myriad of people outside" are correct.[2]
    Merriam-Webster notes, "Recent criticism of the use of myriad as a noun, both in the plural form myriads and in the phrase a myriad of, seems to reflect a mistaken belief that the word was originally and is still properly only an adjective.... however, the noun is in fact the older form, dating to the 16th century. The noun myriad has appeared in the works of such writers as Milton (plural myriads) and Thoreau (a myriad of), and it continues to occur frequently in reputable English."[2]
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myriad

Fair cop, guv. Still, I've never seen it used as a noun where it didn't sound pretentious.

Fair cop, guv. Still, I've never seen it used as a noun where it didn't sound pretentious.

I dunno, if you really wanted to be pretentious you'd use 'plethora'

Another thing I can't stand is 'well' used in this way:

"he hadn't been beaten up by high school kids since, well, high school"

It's like the author is saying "I can't think of an apposite simile here so I'm just going to re-use this word but just so you know I'm aware of that, here's a 'well'. Okay, let's get back to the story then."

• Advertisement

Another thing I can't stand is 'well' used in this way:

"he hadn't been beaten up by high school kids since, well, high school"

It's like the author is saying "I can't think of an apposite simile here so I'm just going to re-use this word but just so you know I'm aware of that, here's a 'well'. Okay, let's get back to the story then."

Well, I don't know, if it's used, um....well then it can help to voice a charachter. I mean, think of Holden Caulfield for chrissakes. His voice was full of repititious uses of hackneyed phrases but the end result was, well...swell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Iomega Man

"Final" and "Reminder"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭Arlecchina

For some reason the words 'flavourful' and 'flavoursome' make me shudder.

Also, this is pretty much a given, but almost any speech tag but 'said' or 'asked' jumps out at me and hits me over the head.

Arlecchina wrote: »
    Also, this is pretty much a given, but almost any speech tag but 'said' or 'asked' jumps out at me and hits me over the head.

Amen.

Mewling seems to be an increasingly common thing in speech tags. Gives me the heebee jeebees.

Arlecchina wrote: »

You should try translating a dialogue-heavy French text.

elle soupira -- she said
    elle exclama -- she said
    elle gémissa -- she said
    elle conclue -- she said

Even in books for toddlers they go mental using every possible verb to avoid using 'said'.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 HidePork

Tad, Embrace, Nice, Amen, Dove - lot of music groups getting a mention in this thread :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Chloris

George R.R. Martin is a sucker for just using "said". It gets annoying because he's not being descriptive enough and it makes it more difficult to imagine how the dialogue is really taking place; the dynamics of the relationship can be expounded upon far more effectively if the author uses synonyms. Even "replied" would do because characters aren't simply speaking into thin air, they're addressing somebody else's prior statement.

Does anyone else find that, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Not keen on spelling mistakes, yes we all make them, especially me. However I do not like to see them in published works as the works are supposedly proof read. The main annoyance is American spelling though. (eg color instead of colour) Irritates me when the computer tries to tell me that the correct spelling is wrong too.

As I intimated, however, I do make a lot of spelling mistakes myself.

As for specific words, I don't really mind any words if they fit the context and/or make the reading easier and more pleasurable.

It would be a very boring world if we all liked the same thing, so I assume if we all disliked the same thing it could be just as boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Chloris wrote: »
    George R.R. Martin is a sucker for just using "said". It gets annoying because he's not being descriptive enough and it makes it more difficult to imagine how the dialogue is really taking place; the dynamics of the relationship can be expounded upon far more effectively if the author uses synonyms. Even "replied" would do because characters aren't simply speaking into thin air, they're addressing somebody else's prior statement.

Does anyone else find that, no?

No, pretty much every writer does that. "Said" is pretty much a non-word - we just scan over it. A text gets bogged down with "announced", "whispered", "replied", or whatever. Even "asked" tends to get swapped out for "said".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

The word 'that' is grossly overused in every newspaper I read... I think the only reason I notice it is because an old lecturer had a rule: "If you have the word 'that' in a sentence, reread said sentence without the word 'that' in it and, if it still makes sense, just take it out!"

ie: "Trapattoni says he has assured the Irish players that the next game will be crucial..."

Gets right on my wick :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    The word 'that' is grossly overused in every newspaper I read... I think the only reason I notice it is because an old lecturer had a rule: "If you have the word 'that' in a sentence, reread said sentence without the word 'that' in it and, if it still makes sense, just take it out!"

ie: "Trapattoni says he has assured the Irish players that the next game will be crucial..."

Gets right on my wick :pac:
    ie: "Trapattoni says that he has assured the Irish players that the next game will be crucial..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

WHIP IT! wrote: »

Deep down . . . is really what you think about word? A little bit of this or is necessary for conveying the message . . . just a sprinkling, though. Moderation in all things . . . or something like.

I remember reading On Speeches by Margaget Cher, and it was full of connector words like. Remember her? Nobody liked her. Poll tax: is a good idea? Totally changes the sentence. Imagine what would have happened if she relied only on inflection in sentence? What a powerful word. It can cause riots! Everything she said was full of, absolutely100% full of.

Just like Enda Kenny.

Oh, and William Shakespeare . . . ever been to his home? He lived in a ched roof cottage .. . awesome writing . . . to be or not to be . . . is the question.

Isn't awesome? Isn't absolutely awesome? Shakespeare, I would love to be, or not to be kind of writer. Dude (or Dudette) . . . I'm down with kind of chatter.

To be . . . ornottobe

or

To be . . . or notto .. . be

or

Tobeornotto . . .be

[courtesy: Monty Python]

What's the name of lecturer? He played a mind game on you, methinks. I want to send him a stern letter. Yep . . . <send> . . . just like.

Hey, come to think about it, how about Tommy Cooper and his unbelievable magic tricks: . . . Mruhahah . . . just like. [note: ostentatious outward bound open fingered hand motions, as well as square grin - looking back and forth at an open jawed and mystified audience]

. . . doesn't make sense?

PS: Mnd f tll y my pt pv? Shld r shldn't ? N, y wld jst lgh t m . . . lgh m rght t f ths frm wth my tl btwn my lgs.

Decoder: i i e ou e eee? ou i o ou i? o, ou ou u au a e .. . au e i ou o i ou i ai eee e.

[Fnny . . . th dcdr snds lk 'm mnky.] u e eoe ou ie i a oe.

PPS: that . . . is a hook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

50, shades, and grey in the one sentence usually makes me lack enthusiasm fairly rapid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Hunchback

'penchant'

Urg!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Sesquipedalian

• Advertisement
Advertisement