Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK comedy legend Eric Sykes dies at 89

Options
  • 04-07-2012 11:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

With Galton and Simpson still alive its not quite the end of an era but getting close. One the top gag writers of the last 60 years has passed. He was part of the so called "Fun Factory" group which included Frankie Howerd, Spike Milligan and then Galton & Simpson, Johnny Speight, Marty Feldman, Terry Nation etc.

Apart from his radio work he became a TV hit with his own Sykes series (also staring Hattie Jacques) and succession of "silent/semi silent" short films which borrow from the slapstick era - the best known of which is the legendary The Plank, though It's Your Move is my own favourite.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭brian_t

The Plank (1967)
    It's Your Move (1969)
    Rhubarb (1969)
    Mr. H is Late (1969)

All timeless classics.
    Sykes became partially deaf as an adult. His spectacles contained no lenses but were a bone-conducting hearing aid.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Sykes

You learn something new everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

RIP - he was a fine comic actor and writer. I must watch The Plank again later, It use to have me in stitches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

bump for Sykes night on BBC2 starting at 8.45

The Late Great Eric Sykes
    QI (no Sykes here)
    Sykes (tv series episode)
    Arena: Sykes and a Day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bump again!

Channel 5 are screening The Plank (1967 version, was remade in 1979) at 11.10 pm Saturday night

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,210 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Have it on VHS!

• Advertisement
Advertisement