Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Croke Parks Future as a concert venue

Options
  • 29-06-2012 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,080 ✭✭✭✭

What do you think the future holds for Croke Park as a concert venue ??.

I was at the RHCP gig there on tuesday and thought the empty seats took away from the atmosphere.

I think promotors should just put artists that will deff sell or close to sell out the venue.

Westlife are gone and they always sold out the venue when they played.

I can see U2 returning there, If Garth Brooks starts touring again than he might play Croke Park. Bruce Springsteen would sell out the place but hes tied to the RDS.

Your Thoughts ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Could see Robbie Williams and Take That playing there again.

Couldn't see many bands ever selling it out again, barr maybe U2, AC/DC and the likes.

The sound has improved over the years, but it never will match purpose-built like the O2.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,080 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

karaokeman wrote: »
    Could see Robbie Williams and Take That playing there again.

Couldn't see many bands ever selling it out again, barr maybe U2, AC/DC and the likes.

The sound has improved over the years, but it never will match purpose-built like the O2.

if AC/DC played there the stewards would have a nightmare. it would be chaos there lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭edgecutter

On too many occasions I have had terrible seats when I had to go to a concert with the gf and that includes westlife last week. Too many people are put off by this, plus with RHCP they had just played in the o2 a few months back, not the best time to announce a concert in Croker when you have just played there.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Bruce Springsteen would sell out the place but hes tied to the RDS.

Your Thoughts ??

How exactly is he tied to it?
    I don't like the RDS at all
    I would love to see him in Croker
    He's signed to Aitken do they not normally hold gigs in Croker?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Doinker

PTH2009 wrote: »
    if AC/DC played there the stewards would have a nightmare. it would be chaos there lol

Why do you think that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭poundhound

Theres a very simple solution to the empty seats; reduce the price of the tickets!

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Johnny Johnson

Doinker wrote: »
    Why do you think that?

Probably thinks those who go to such shows are animals. Which of course is absolute rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I've never been to a croke pk gig and generally avoid large outdoow gigs (bar festivals) but I heard the sound was shocking at RHCP from a few people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Croke Park is one of the worst venues for gigs. Not allowed smoke or bring drink onto the pitch. So if you want a beer you have to go out behind the stands and wait there until you are finished. I swore years ago I'd never go again and I've stuck to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Its worse when they mix up the dates!!

I remeber a few yrs ago Cork ended up playing Westlife in the final...................Westlife won!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Doinker

Probably thinks those who go to such shows are animals. Which of course is absolute rubbish.

True that. They played Punchestown and the o2 in 2009 without a hint of trouble.

But if they played Croke Park "stewards would have a nightmare" and "it would be chaos there".

Can't see any logic to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Clanket wrote: »
    Croke Park is one of the worst venues for gigs. Not allowed smoke or bring drink onto the pitch. So if you want a beer you have to go out behind the stands and wait there until you are finished. I swore years ago I'd never go again and I've stuck to it.

I made a similar promise after REM in Slane in 95 due to the access issues. Never been back!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭RayCon

sweetie wrote: »
    I made a similar promise after REM in Slane in 95 due to the access issues. Never been back!

Ditto me after Queen in 86 ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

Clanket wrote: »

Was at RHCP last week, and loads of people around me were smoking. Stewards right beside them and not a word said, so they've obviously relaxed that rule.
    Also no problems drinking in the stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭malcolmplex

RayCon wrote: »
    sweetie wrote: »

Ditto me after Queen in 86 ...

And me after Oasis '09!That's why I enjoyed Forbidden Fruit last year,and looking forward to Phoenix Park on Thursday;Straight back into town and drink wherever ya want!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭EyesClosed

blue-army wrote: »
    Was at RHCP last week, and loads of people around me were smoking. Stewards right beside them and not a word said, so they've obviously relaxed that rule.
    Also no problems drinking in the stand.

Lucky you, everyone around me was made put out their smokes and had their drinks taken off them, it was bloody stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 6,405 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I'm wary of outdoor gigs in general but Croke Park for me is a definite no no. I've been to one Croke Park gig and I must admit the sound was perfect where I was (in the middle of the pitch) but it's too unreliable, especially if you are in the stands.

Advertisement