Why perma-ban people and allow them to return? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-06-2012, 00:21   #1
Chuck Stone
Closed Account

Why perma-ban people and allow them to return?

What is the point in perma-banning people from forums and then allow them to return under a new name?

I think this shows up a fundamental weakness in the boards.ie ban system in that it allows the banned to assume a new identity and fool less aware people into entertaining their trolling.

This method of dealing with trolls is simply dishonest. Why not just give people recurring bans if you're not going to give the 'perma' part of bans any value?

Last edited by Chuck Stone; 24-06-2012 at 00:24.
Advertisement
24-06-2012, 00:24   #2
An File
Lording over insects

Send a message via Skype™ to An File
Who are you talking about? Posters who re-reg to get around bans do get perma-banned, once it's proven who they are. You should read the Prison forum more often. It's often as entertaining as it is informative.
24-06-2012, 01:17   #3
Chuck Stone
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insect Overlord View Post
Who are you talking about?
I'm pretty sure I've called this person out on thread in AH so mods are well aware who it is.
24-06-2012, 02:46   #4
Elmidena

Instead of calling out suspicions on-thread like a game of "Guess Who?", why don't you report the user and type your suspicion? That way an admin will see it and can run all the checks if needs be, and then Gordon gets a new playmate if you're right! Mods can't read every post on every thread, especially not on a ridiculously busy forum like AH, so help them out a bit and you both win (and maybe the suspect re-reg will too if it turns out they aren't who they're accused of being)
24-06-2012, 02:49   #5
Elmidena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insect Overlord View Post
Who are you talking about? Posters who re-reg to get around bans do get perma-banned, once it's proven who they are. You should read the Prison forum more often. It's often as entertaining as it is informative.
I admit I get disappointed when I click in on it and it's just spambots
But can we, the plebs, elect Pighead as a prison mod
Advertisement
24-06-2012, 04:06   #6
Sharpshooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Stone View Post
I'm pretty sure I've called this person out on thread in AH so mods are well aware who it is.
Not always Chuck, we cannot read every thread and post in AHs.

Did you report the user as a re reg?
24-06-2012, 05:58   #7
Overheal
MegaMod X

Send a message via Skype™ to Overheal
There is no earthly way I would expect even a dozen AH mods to read through every post of inane shyte that happens in AH. If there is one forum on this entire website where you really have to make use of the report button: THAT IS IT.
24-06-2012, 16:16   #8
BuffyBot
Administrator

I can tell you this much for sure - if there is sufficient evidence of a re-reg, they'll be banned. I speak as someone who banned enough of them in my Admin days.

However there isn't often sufficient hard evidence even when you know it's them, deep down. Sometimes you just have to wait it out until there is, or they trip themselves up or revert to their former behaviour patterns and get banned anyway. It's annoying but some will always through for whatever reason!

One or two have even come back as reformed, useful members of society
(3) thanks from:
03-07-2012, 20:38   #9
My name is URL

Seriously, is there not enough evidence to suggest that the person the OP is referring to is a re-reg? I'm sure somebody must have reported a post of his by now.
Advertisement
03-07-2012, 20:40   #10
KeithM89_old
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by My name is URL View Post
Seriously, is there not enough evidence to suggest that the person the OP is referring to is a re-reg? I'm sure somebody must have reported a post of his by now.
If your referring to a certain poster beginning with the letter 'P', its still being looked at.
(3) thanks from:
04-07-2012, 00:40   #11
CodyJarrett
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithM89 View Post
If your referring to a certain poster beginning with the letter 'P', its still being looked at.
You leave Pighead alone.
Thanks from:
04-07-2012, 00:44   #12
KeithM89_old
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplashed View Post
You leave Pighead alone.
Oh id never ban Pighead

Also that other problem is now sorted.
05-07-2012, 23:27   #13
Micky Dolenz
Cat Mod

Just to point out, don't have an attitude of "shur, I won't bother reporting it, someone else will"

Don't call out people as trolls/reregs on thread. It's clear flaming. Report the poster/post instead.
06-07-2012, 21:49   #14
padd b1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmidena View Post
Instead of calling out suspicions on-thread like a game of "Guess Who?", why don't you report the user and type your suspicion? That way an admin will see it and can run all the checks if needs be, and then Gordon gets a new playmate if you're right! Mods can't read every post on every thread, especially not on a ridiculously busy forum like AH, so help them out a bit and you both win (and maybe the suspect re-reg will too if it turns out they aren't who they're accused of being)
What are the checks that Admin. run?
06-07-2012, 22:16   #15
Gordon
Administrator

Admin: Prison
Quote:
Originally Posted by padd b1975 View Post
What are the checks that Admin. run?
I personally run a μ-pet test, sometimes a β-than-u test, and rarely I'll lead a λ-slotter config in Prison.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion