Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TVStar in Dunnes, €50 and lots of logos

Options
  • 23-06-2012 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭

Saw the TVStar that place in Cork was selling few weeks back now in Dunnes Stores, its at €50 and it has lots of rte and tv3 logos on it, no saorview logo of course but you would want to know your stuff before you would think its not approved.

Must say I don't like this, fooling people into non saorview approved equipment.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,360 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Spotted it in Cornellscourt during the week, lots of logos as you say. I flipped the box round and round and ne'er a Saorview logo in sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

I wonder if they have permission to use the TV stations' respective logo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

saw this same box in supervalu and xtravision

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's despicable. The French wouldn't allow it in France.

Our Government is on the side of Big Business, not the voter and consumer.

Boycott it. Complain to the shop manager.

Partly it's Corporate purchasing people that do little or no research about products.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 john williams

ok not approved but does it work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,417 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

for now but no guarantee it will. being approved means they have all the necessary settings whatever rte do. e.g. I am a panasonic z81 which works until rte changed some tiny setting and now it can't tune in new channels. Saorview boxes will always work, this tvstar may not

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Considering that Argos and others are selling approved boxes for the same money, it would be a foolish gamble buying a non-approved one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Is the RTE logo on the actual unit itself or surrounding advertising? I sell the Tv Star1010 and the stock I have here makes no mention of RTE

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

its on the surround advertising, tv3 etc all included. There are also hdmi cables on the stand

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

The High Definition DVB-T receiver TV STAR T1010 can receive both high definition and standard
    definition digital terrestrial Free to air channels. The unit comes with HDMI, SPDIF and USB connector.
    Terrestrial digital receiver TV STAR T1010 is also capable of recording the TV programs on external
    hard disk

PROBLEM

Please be aware that the future digital Teletext service system used by RTE is not compatible with this box.

Not Saorview!!
    :cool::cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

easkey wrote: »
    The High Definition DVB-T receiver TV STAR T1010 can receive both high definition and standard
    definition digital terrestrial Free to air channels. The unit comes with HDMI, SPDIF and USB connector.
    Terrestrial digital receiver TV STAR T1010 is also capable of recording the TV programs on external
    hard disk

PROBLEM

Please be aware that the future digital Teletext service system used by RTE is not compatible with this box.

Not Saorview!!

Is this meant to be a quote from somewhere?

MarkK wrote: »
    Is this meant to be a quote from somewhere?

http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/RTE-digital-set-top-box.html

:cool::cool:

I'm not really sure what your point is ?

ok not approved but does it work

PARTIALLY

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭noisenotmusic

Tony wrote: »
    I'm not really sure what your point is ?

That it's not fully compatible with SaorView, anyone buying the box won't be able to get teletext and presumably anything else that relies on MHEG5.

That it's not fully compatible with SaorView, anyone buying the box won't be able to get teletext and presumably anything else that relies on MHEG5.

Edit: Just realised that Easkey originally posted what I was replying to , why are you answering for him ? I've never claimed it to be fully saorview compatible

@ easkey . The thread is about Dunnes stores so I do not understand why you are quoting from and linking to my website ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I think easkey is just pointing out what the box lacks. It's not just Dunnes stores selling this box so people should be told what limitations this box has and this thread will help highlight them.

recyclebin wrote: »
    I think easkey is just pointing out what the box lacks. It's not just Dunnes stores selling this box so people should be told what limitations this box has and this thread will help highlight them.

No problem with that as the box does have limitations but quoting from and linking to my website without explaining the context is unhelpful especially on a thread where another retailer is being critcised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

I have the box it works great, it has an USB port for an external hard drive and can record in 1080p HD.
    Records everything perfect and teletext is on all the channels (not that I use it often). The EPG record function works fine and has a workaround for there being no series link. For €45 its well worth the money with the PVR

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

Dymo wrote: »
    Records everything perfect and teletext is on all the channels (not that I use it often).

That's the 'old' analogue teletext though - isn't it? The Saorview MHEG5 digital Aertel looks like this with the TV picture on the top right (where the advert is on the webpage).

• Advertisement

With an uncertified box you have NO IDEA and no comeback if something transmitted stops working.

It's actually a waste of money to buy one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Dymo

SalteeDog wrote: »
    That's the 'old' analogue teletext though - isn't it? The Saorview MHEG5 digital Aertel looks like this with the TV picture on the top right (where the advert is on the webpage).

I stopped worrying about Aertel about 8 years ago so it's not really a big deal. The media player alone is worth the money. I'm selling my WD media player because this works even better with a greater UI.

There's a lot of scaremongering going on about Saorview a bit like the "You have to buy a Saorview TV ". A friend of mine bought a TV from the UK and NOT Saorview approved but he's able to get all the UK Freesat Channels and all the Saorview channels. Where as he would of been totally discouraged if he had looked for information on some internet forums.

I stopped worrying about Aertel about 8 years ago so it's not really a big deal. The media player alone is worth the money. I'm selling my WD media player because this works even better with a greater UI.

There's a lot of scaremongering going on about Saorview a bit like the "You have to buy a Saorview TV ". A friend of mine bought a TV from the UK and NOT Saorview approved but he's able to get all the UK Freesat Channels and all the Saorview channels. Where as he would of been totally discouraged if he had looked for information on some internet forums.

tell that to panasonic z81 folks that had working saorview before there was a slight change that panasonic don't comply with but saorview boxes do. Considering saorview boxes are 49.99, why waste money on this.

Thats comparing apples with oranges, unless RTE change their transmission radicially so that even saorview boxes cannot receive their signal this box will continue to receive as it does now .

Having said that even on a value basis a saorview approved box at 49.99 is a better bet if you do not wish to have the multi media playback and recording that the non approved box allows with an external drive.

Its all about informed choice

TheDriver wrote: »
    tell that to panasonic z81 folks that had working saorview before there was a slight change that panasonic don't comply with but saorview boxes do. Considering saorview boxes are 49.99, why waste money on this.

No problem with that as the box does have limitations but quoting from and linking to my website without explaining the context is unhelpful especially on a thread where another retailer is being critcised.

I was trying to help by giving you information about the Box.
    As i thought you wanted to know if it was Saorview ready.

The retailer was a side issue in my opinion.
    I presumed the info was self explanatory as to the shortcomings
    of this box and the link was to show everyone a place
    where to read info on same.

I never thought my reply was in any way inconsiderate to anyone.
    I was trying to help,
    but I live and learn.

I was trying to help by giving you information about the Box.
    As i thought you wanted to know if it was Saorview ready.

Now i'm totally confused:) . You posted information about the box from my own website? I wrote the text you quoted so I'm well aware of what the box does and does not do?

I hear what you say that you were trying to be helpful but as you can see from the replies to your post it was not clear what is what you intended. A little explanation alongside the quote could have put it in context.

The retailer is most definitely not a side issue as its the subject of the thread.

Thats comparing apples with oranges, unless RTE change their transmission radicially so that even saorview boxes cannot receive their signal this box will continue to receive as it does now .

Having said that even on a value basis a saorview approved box at 49.99 is a better bet if you do not wish to have the multi media playback and recording that the non approved box allows with an external drive.

informed choice is right as the official box I got for 49 allows recording also. I don't think its apples with oranges, the z81 worked fine then it didn't over the crapiest thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Fazer6

I have the box it works great, it has an USB port for an external hard drive and can record in 1080p HD.
    Records everything perfect and teletext is on all the channels (not that I use it often). The EPG record function works fine and has a workaround for there being no series link. For €45 its well worth the money with the PVR

Dymo, exactly which box do you have?

Fazer6.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Crystalset

.......unless RTE change their transmission radicially so that even saorview boxes cannot receive their signal this box will continue to receive as it does now .

I had a Daewoo Setpal Freeview (£100) stb which became useless after about 4 years of use. It was one of the best of the early stbs, recomended for picking up weak signals; which it did until it received nothing.

http://www.frequencycast.co.uk/freeviewlandfill.html

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    informed choice is right as the official box I got for 49 allows recording also. I don't think its apples with oranges, the z81 worked fine then it didn't over the crapiest thing.

An official box with recording is better again . I agree panaosnic could have fixed that issue quite easily from what I've heard, strictly speaking they were not obliged to but from a customer service perpective they handled it very badly in my personal view.

Advertisement