Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quote for Indian sandstone - too expensive?

Options
  • 23-06-2012 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

I've just been given a quote from a gardener to lay mint indian sandstone (all materials and labour supplied) over an area where there is already grass/vegetation growing. The quote was €125 per sq metre. I'm not sure if this is in any way related to the quality of the sandstone he's using... admittedly I have little experience in this area but this seems very expensive to me. Would anyone have any idea's?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Indian sandstone is around 18-20 euro a square meter.

So the other 105 euro is on gardeners labour and other materials

• Registered Users Posts: 28,125 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If he is going to have to strip topsoil etc and have it removed and dumped he could easily need a small digger and a lorry. If the only access to the area is through some sort of doorway he may have to use a mini-digger and wheelbarrow everything out. He will have to get infill, gravel and sand delivered, and need a compactor. He may need a cement mixer. If the area is relatively small he is still going to need the same equipment and deliveries as for a bigger area; so a smaller area will look more expensive relative to a bigger area.

So €100 a square meter may be reasonable for, say, 10 square meters (2m x 5m), but for an area twice that size it would be expensive. It sounds quite a lot to me but I don't know the job.

(I wouldn't put down Indian Sandstone anyway as it is high maintenance if you want it to continue to look like new. But that was not the question.)

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Dar1972

Thanks guys.

Looksee.. if not sandstone.. any recommendations on alternative stone / material?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

OP - there isn't a paving solution which does not require maintenance, the key question is, how much/little maintenance are you prepared to do? But before you answer that question, some key points to be considered when selecting stone are: 1. Colour (light=warm, darker= drama). 2. Site (south or north facing, ie dry and sunny or damp and shaded) and 3. Are there overhanging tree/shrub branches nearby (dripping rain will accelerate the greening of stone), but so too will muddy paws etc create a temporary mess.

BTW sandstone (and there are several colourways ranging from light to dark) and most are very popular and easily maintained. Some common sense when choosing colour and an occasional cleaning is more than sufficient to remove any signs of weathering to keep most sandstone paved areas clean.

As for costs, € 125.00/sq m does seem exceptionally high in comparison to professional rates, but there might be valid reason(s) why the rate is so high? You would need to provide more info but you may want to consider seeking additional quotes?

Thanks.. have asked for a breakdown of the €125 per sq metre... will be intertested to see what I get back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

i got my sandstone for 22 per square metre which included 1 tonne hardcore and 2 tonnes sand for 700 covering 21 square metres, i did the labour myself so all my costs where the materials. say 200 - 300 quid a day labour. if you get the weather they should have it done in 2/3 days. i think you were overcharged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Op how big of an area are you planning on doing?
    Also are edgings for the patio included in the price or any other extra's?
    An idea of the job you want done would help people to give you an idea.

Total garden is small, about 30-32 sq/m made up of about 21 sq/t in sandstone and the rest in pebbles. This is the breakdown I got... The cost of supply and lay of the sandstone is €110/m2 plus vat @13.5% on top of the existing concrete, (8m2 in your garden), and €150/m2 where lawn or soil has to be removed and hardcore brought in as a base for the stone. The cost is all inclusive and includes the removal of waste, the supply of all materials, i.e. hardcore, sand, cement, sandstone, blades of consaw, jointing compound and labour. The cost of the design is also absorbed. Labour would end up being 55-60% of the cost.

Any advise on how reasonable this is would be appreiated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

€ 110/sq m for laying sandstone on existing concrete! You're being taken for a ride. Rate should be almost half of what you're being quoted. Ignore the fluffy incidentals, they're not that significant within overall cost.

Thanks..pretty much thought as much but was interested in advice from someone who might know more than me. Couldn't get my head around €150 per m2 considering the cost of the sandstone.

• Advertisement

you're been taken to a Fookin cleaners Mate!

I agree - going to source the materials myself. Would anyone know a good place in and aroud Dublin to check out sandstone and limestone paving?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Dar I got it from a place in Carnaross outside of Kells.it is not even an hour down the M3 and he delivered it free.very good service.

Also it looks like your quote was huge.it was coming in at over €3000?he should have been able to knock wages and a small profit out of it at €2000.as for including consaw blade in the price...hmm.

If you source the materials yourself just find a local bricklayer to put it down for you.you could help him with lifting the stones into place and save even more money!

Best of luck with the job.

This is where i got mine..highly recomend them. I shopped around and this was the best price i got. 21 euro per sq metre. http://www.stonemerchant.ie/ FYI when i got the quote they added a load of stuff on like sealer and grout etc etc. I just said listen all i want is the sand the slabs and the cement and hardcore. 22 square metres of slabs. 2 tonnes sand and 1 tonne hardcore for around 700 which was the best price i got by far.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Dar1972 wrote: »
    I agree - going to source the materials myself. Would anyone know a good place in and aroud Dublin to check out sandstone and limestone paving?

Have a look on Donedeal in the gardening section and also the building materials section.

Theres also the natural stone yard on the old Ashbourne Road,but you need to haggle like fcuk with him.;)

Advertisement