Originally Posted by lxflyer
Not at all, but pre-M8 it probably was an appropriate level of service, perhaps with the exception of the early morning/late evening. However you can blame both operators for that rather than just Bus Eireann. Aircoach didn't provide such services either.
No, it was never appropriate. We have had the M8 for a few years now and they still hadn't improved the service. See below for the reason why IMO.
Originally Posted by foggy_lad
It really is laughable when you consider they operate an hourly service between Waterford and cork and a bi-hourly service between Waterford and Limerick
Is it too much to ask that the national bus company provide proper expressway services for all areas and not just where they want to compete with Citylink, Aircoach and Gobus?
It is very clear to me that BE and Irish Rail had a non compete agreement. If IR served a place, BE didn't bother to serve the same places or only did the minimum possible.
This left IR to charge high prices as they faced no competition and the public transport user suffered for it.
Fortunately this is all now changing.
The private operators are introducing much needed competition and we are now seeing BE and IR scrambling to respond.
From the point of view of a public transport user, the last 6 months as brought a revolution in public transport, with more excellent services been introduced then ever before:
- Fast (3 hours), cheap, hourly, 24 hour, direct bus service to Cork (with excellent stops at Dublin Airport) with possibly another service coming soon.
- Fast, cheap, hourly, 15 hour a day, direct bus service to Limerick
- Fast, cheap, hourly, 24 hour, direct bus service to Belfast (with excellent stops at Dublin Airport)
- Faster direct Galway -> Limerick -> Cork service.
And as a result, in response to this we are getting:
- BE services to Belfast, Cork and Waterford being improved and made faster and with shinny new buses.
- Irish Rail dropping their ticket prices in half
- Irish Rail coming up with ways to reduce their journey times.
- IR and BE introducing free wifi across most of their fleets.
This competition is the best thing that has ever happened to the public transport user