Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failing Leaving cert Maths

Options
  • 12-06-2012 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Maths went horrible for me,
    especially paper 1 although i attempted everything but i know i probably have failed it. i'm really bad at maths.
    Paper 2 was grand
    so i was wondering.. GOD FORBIDDEN ... if i have failed my leaving cert maths (ordinary level)
    does that mean i failed my entire Leaving cert? because this is what i've been hearing and i'm really worried about this .
    I was wondering, are there any other options that will get me into My course? i want to do Psychology so i have applied is various different colleges like DCU/ Dublin business school etc.
    Its annoying that failing one exam would stop me from going to college altogether i'm so worried

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

No you don't fail the whole leaving cert. If the college requires a pass in maths you might end up having to just repeat maths next year though, provided you get your points this time round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Oh psychology in NUIG doesn't require maths. :) I plan on doing arts there and going into psych or psych studies for the rest of my degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Geo10

Most courses don't even care if you even did Maths to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

They don't like failing people. If paper two was reasonably good you'll probably be ok :)
    Also, PLCs are brilliant and they're not just 'last resort' things. I have a friend who is super smart, got into a great course then realized it wasn't quite what he thought. Now he's doing a PLC but its exactly what he was after.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭EDmon

Check your course subject and grade requirements.
    Most courses in university or ITs etc, required a minimum of a D3 / C3 in ordinary level maths or a D3 in Honors.
    If one fails higher / ordinary you simply will not receive an offer for that course, regardless, even if you've met the point requirements

I know in TCD and UCD Psychology has a statistical aspect to the course, so it is highly likely that a pass is a requirement.
    However, you've stated that you found math paper 2 'grand', thus you can pass on simply doing well in one paper and diabolical in the other!

Math is a tough one to be conclusive that you've failed, there is plenty of scope for attempt marks unlike other subjects.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

I'm feeling the same way. I do OL and Paper One went pretty badly. Paper 2 went a good bit better, but I still didn't get all it's Q's done, partly due to the large amount of writing in P2 nowadays. I'm really losing sleep over whether I passed or not, because teachers make it out to be ''If you fail Maths, you fail the whole LC and you'll fail life'' pretty much. :( Hopefully I'll just scrape a pass, which is all I need for most of my desired courses.(fingers crossed) If I failed, then I don't really mind repeating as long as it's not too costly and too much trouble. But will courses accept a single subject repeat in a new LC, like Maths, and count it towards your previous LC? Or would you have to repeat every subject again and both pass Maths and get the points in a new LC to get in? :(

What about a PLC in Maths? (if there are any) Could you do one of those even for failing LC Maths?

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

I would also like to know about this ^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭kilfeather94

I'm in the same boat as you guys. Maths paper 1 went pretty badly for me. paper 2 was slightly better, but couldn't answer all the questions. Really annoyed because the requirements for my course aren't too high and I'd hate to see that maths is the only thing keeping me back from my course! I'd be delighted if I passed to be honest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    I'm feeling the same way. I do OL and Paper One went pretty badly. Paper 2 went a good bit better, but I still didn't get all it's Q's done, partly due to the large amount of writing in P2 nowadays. I'm really losing sleep over whether I passed or not, because teachers make it out to be ''If you fail Maths, you fail the whole LC and you'll fail life'' pretty much. :( Hopefully I'll just scrape a pass, which is all I need for most of my desired courses.(fingers crossed) If I failed, then I don't really mind repeating as long as it's not too costly and too much trouble. But will courses accept a single subject repeat in a new LC, like Maths, and count it towards your previous LC? Or would you have to repeat every subject again and both pass Maths and get the points in a new LC to get in? :(

What about a PLC in Maths? (if there are any) Could you do one of those even for failing LC Maths?

This isn't the case at all! :) If you get the points for your course this year around but fail maths you can repeat maths by itself next year, and if you pass it and the points for the course haven't gone above what you got, you can do your course! Points will only be counted from one leaving cert, but requirements can be repeated by themselves!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

This isn't the case at all! :) If you get the points for your course this year around but fail maths you can repeat maths by itself next year, and if you pass it and the points for the course haven't gone above what you got, you can do your course! Points will only be counted from one leaving cert, but requirements can be repeated by themselves!

Thanks. Thing is though that I have my heart set on a particular DIT course. I'd be terribly disappointed to not get it. I wouldn't mind even repeating a few subjects in a new LC, if I didn't get the points for it this year. I'm not planning to go to college this year anyway - would rather go next year. If I got the points and passed maths would I be able to reserve a place?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 xamox

I have no clue about this whole PLC courses part or repeating maths again next year.. could someone please explain?
    aaah i hope i have passed *fingers crossed* i'm not even worried about my point but this stupid maths! urghhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    Thanks. Thing is though that I have my heart set on a particular DIT course. I'd be terribly disappointed to not get it. I wouldn't mind even repeating a few subjects in a new LC, if I didn't get the points for it this year. I'm not planning to go to college this year anyway - would rather go next year. If I got the points and passed maths would I be able to reserve a place?

If you get offered the course in August (if you get the points and the requirements) you might be able to defer it. You'd need to check what DIT's regulations for deferrals are, I'm sure you can email them, or maybe ask on the DIT forum.

If you didn't get the points, and were still set on the course, your best option might be to repeat the Leaving Cert. If you pass your requirements (English, Maths, Irish, anything else they want like 3rd language etc) you can drop them, and sit other subjects that you might find easier to get the points in.

If you got the points, but failed maths, you could repeat maths only and apply next year with this years points (and hope that next years points don't rise higher than the points you have). You wouldn't be able to reserve a place in this case as you wouldn't have got the points and requirements.
    xamox wrote: »
    I have no clue about this whole PLC courses part or repeating maths again next year.. could someone please explain?
    aaah i hope i have passed *fingers crossed* i'm not even worried about my point but this stupid maths! urghhhh

What people are talking about is if they fail maths this year. I'm not sure about PLC courses, but one option available is to repeat the Leaving Cert year with just maths, so when you reapply next year to the CAO, you use this years points, and next years pass in maths for your requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Isn't there PLC's that do maths if you fail?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

xamox wrote: »
    Maths went horrible for me,
    especially paper 1 although i attempted everything but i know i probably have failed it. i'm really bad at maths.
    Paper 2 was grand
    so i was wondering.. GOD FORBIDDEN ... if i have failed my leaving cert maths (ordinary level)
    does that mean i failed my entire Leaving cert? because this is what i've been hearing and i'm really worried about this .
    I was wondering, are there any other options that will get me into My course? i want to do Psychology so i have applied is various different colleges like DCU/ Dublin business school etc.
    Its annoying that failing one exam would stop me from going to college altogether i'm so worried

UL, DIT, NUIG have special maths exams. I'm sure a few others have them also.

Advertisement