Labrador from irishlabradors.net (Cork) - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

11-06-2012, 11:21   #1
jjmcclure

Labrador from irishlabradors.net (Cork)

Hi All, I want to report only the facts about my dog.

In early 2011 I collected a beautiful male pup from Irishlabradors. Their facilities were impressive with many good looking dogs and a nice environment.

Approximately 4 months later Bailey was diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia.

He is likely to require a double hip transplant. I can provide xrays, vet notes etc. I also papers from Irishlabradors.net to prove this is where baily came from.

I suggest anyone considering buying a labrador pup speak to the Irish Labrador association.

I had assumed Bailey was an anomily, but subsequently I have met another dog from Baileys father who has elbow dysplasia.

If buying from them ask for:

Eye Test Certs
Hip scores for both parents
And finally if any dogs from her have ever had hip/elbow problems.

I also suggest you search for irishlabradors on this forum.

Last edited by Tom Dunne; 07-08-2012 at 21:48. Reason: Removed name
Advertisement
11-06-2012, 11:23   #2
andreac

Did you look for these before purchasing your pup?
11-06-2012, 11:27   #3
jjmcclure

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreac View Post
Unfortunatley, and to my shame no. I bought on trust.

But at least Bailey has a good home and is insured so he can get the care he needs.
Thanks from:
11-06-2012, 11:34   #4
Outkast_IRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmcclure View Post

But at least Bailey has a good home and is insured so he can get the care he needs.
Bad situation to be put in and im glad your doing all you can for the dog.

Have you contacted where you purchased him from to discuss this ?
Any breeder worth their salt is always interested in how the pups are doing from their dog.

I know its all easy in hindsight but if you had done any proper research you would of found out about hip scoring etc very quickly.

Unfortunatly labs are a breed that are prone to such problems anyway.
Im glad your keeping him and sorting him out , best of luck with it.
Thanks from:
11-06-2012, 12:36   #5
2smokinbarrels

I happen to be the other person that bought the pup.
As this I feel really upset about this whole issue please keep the handbags at bay!
My dog was diagnosed with severe elbow displacement in both elbows one side was completely ruined and only going to get worse, the pup is only six months old.
This pup has the same father as bailey.
I had 2 pups and returned both on Saturday, the breeder denied any knowledge of baily and that there was no history of any of this ever from her dogs.
Please be aware of this this is fact and as a buyer beware notice to anyone thinking of buying a pup from here.
As explained I don’t need to be slated about this or returning the pups this is still pretty raw as I loved this dogs and was pretty attached it was an extremely hard thing to do but as I was lied to I cannot trust the pups background.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
11-06-2012, 12:47   #6
andreac

Did the breeder return your money to you?

Have they said if they are going to Hip/Elbow score their dogs now??
11-06-2012, 13:32   #7
2smokinbarrels

I don't think so but I can not say for fact if they will or wont get these tests done.
Like JJmclure I was lead to believe that they had been done and that there is no history of any of these issues.
11-06-2012, 21:06   #8
RossPaws
Closed Account

Thanks for these warnings. It's always important to spread things like this, it prevents more people from making the same mistakes and hopefully encourages these breeders to actually breed healthy lines.
11-06-2012, 21:15   #9
keno-daytrader

Sorry about your pups has to be very hard on ye.

When I was searching for my lab pup I contacted many breeders (and yes this was one of them), if they couldnt produce current eye certs, cnm and pra clear dna and written proof of hip scores I walked away every time. Elbow scores now are becoming somewhat the norm if breeders are hipscoring also.

It took time to find the right pup and breeder, but seeing as a dog will be a part of your life for many many years it really is worth the homework.

Im not here to bash this particular breeder, she couldnt provide me with written proof of hip scores for both dam and sire and I wasnt willing to take a stranger at her word....

Hopefully people will read this thread and learn from your experience.

Goodluck to the both, labs are such great dogs
(5) thanks from:
Advertisement
11-06-2012, 22:32   #10
tk123

Is this the same place from last year - somebody got a pup against everyone's advise that they looked dodgey regardless of them having a webpage and the pup developed problems?! Looking at the pics of the adults on the site one of them looks under developed in their back legs

Anyhoos sorry about your pups guys it's hard when they have problems. It must have been heartbreaking giving them back 2smokinbarrels
11-06-2012, 22:33   #11
Delancey
Closed Account

A double hip transplant Is this a new procedure ? I've never heard of orthopaedic transplants before.
11-06-2012, 22:44   #12
Millem

Quote:
Hi All, I want to report only the facts about my dog.

In early 2011 I collected a beautiful male pup from irishlabradors. Their facilities were impressive with many good looking dogs and a nice environment.

Approximately 4 months later Bailey was diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia.

He is likely to require a double hip transplant. I can provide xrays, vet notes etc. I also papers from Irishlabradors.net to prove this is where baily came from.

I suggest anyone considering buying a labrador pup speak to the Irish Labrador association.

I had assumed Bailey was an anomily, but subsequently I have met another dog from Baileys father who has elbow dysplasia.

If buying from Them ask for:

Eye Test Certs
Hip scores for both parents
And finally if any dogs from her have ever had hip/elbow problems.

I also suggest you search for irishlabradors on this forum.
I vaguely remember a previous thread on Labrador pups and someone wanted "a chunky lab with a big head", went to the above breeders and it later turned out the dog now has hip dysplasia. Furthermore the above breeders were then selling pups on a certain website claiming that their pups were 100% healthy with no hip problems. These breeders are bad news, it is so sad that these dogs are in this state at such a young age. I have very limited knowledge about breeding but surely there should be some code of ethics with IKC that a breeder should knowingly breed from any dog that suffers from a hereditary disease?

Last edited by Tom Dunne; 08-08-2012 at 09:30. Reason: Remove name
Thanks from:
11-06-2012, 23:06   #13
tk123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millem View Post
. I have very limited knowledge about breeding but surely there should be some code of ethics with IKC that a breeder should knowingly breed from any dog that suffers from a hereditary disease?
I don't see any mention of the IKC on the website? They breed an "occasional" litter of pups - yet we have 2 posters here with crippled pups from them!
11-06-2012, 23:28   #14
Millem

I don't see any mention of the IKC on the website? They breed an "occasional" litter of pups - yet we have 2 posters here with crippled pups from them![/Quote]

I just presumed when the first op said "they had papers to prove where the dog came from" that they were IKC papers! If you look at their YouTube clips they say they are from English bloodlines. No doubts they aren't IKC. The poster was probably given some DIYpapers. I would be so annoyed if I had bought one of my dogs.
12-06-2012, 00:21   #15
Magenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreac View Post
Quote:

To be honest, I have the utmost sympathy for your dog but none for you.
You refused any advice you were given here, completely dismissed advice to make sure the parents hips had been tested and were downright rude to other posters "Get all the hip scores, eyetests and whatever you want from a "breeder" and even went on promoting the breeder after they knew of your dog's problems but yet continued to advertise their "healthy" dogs.
I'm not saying "I told you so" but it is misleading to talk like you were an innocent victim. You knew full well what tests that dog's parents should have had, there were enough people here telling you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millem View Post
I vaguely remember a previous thread on Labrador pups and someone wanted "a chunky lab with a big head", went to the above breeders and it later turned out the dog now has hip dysplasia. Furthermore the above breeders were then selling pups on a certain website claiming that their pups were 100% healthy with no hip problems. These breeders are bad news, it is so sad that these dogs are in this state at such a young age. I have very limited knowledge about breeding but surely there should be some code of ethics with IKC that a breeder should knowingly breed from any dog that suffers from a hereditary disease?
This is the thread http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=ie

Last edited by Magenta; 12-06-2012 at 00:27.
Thread Closed