Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on PC build vs Purchase

Options
  • 07-06-2012 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭

Hey folks was wondering if I could pick your brains, my current desktop is a 4 years old Inspiron 531 and I've been thinking the last while on getting a new desktop, I'm 50/50 at the moment about building vs purchasing it one of the things holding me back is my lack of a credit card, would have to be a site where I could transfer funds from my bank account to paypal. Have browsed Dabs/Ankermann/Hardwareversand for general ideas and see I could use Paypal.

I don't PC game at all so that can be ruled out, would generally use my desktop for everyday use, watching tv/movies, downloading, with an idea of using it to edit my photos which I have been using my Macbook for and maybe some small video editing nothing too intensive. Gearing towards a HDMI output (high def snob) SSD with a secondary 1tb or so HD but not essential in the meantime as I'm thinking about using a NAS at some point, 8gb+ RAM without getting super expensive.

I would feel confident in doing a build but it's been awhile since I have done one, generally just do little bits & bobs any general input feedback would be greatly appreciated on the build.

Cheers.

1. What is your budget? [€700 with some wiggle room]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Small Video editing/Photo editing/Movies/Tv/Internet]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Will more than likely give away old machine.]

5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [N/A]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [LG 32" tv with resolution 1360x768 (expandable but its pretty good at this res)] [Yes]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Card Reader] - (currently Logitech DiNovo Edge but the battery has been acting funny the last while)

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes - but not essential]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/PayPal]

9. When are you purchasing? [no set date but asap]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Dublin 12 - but should be ok.]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Here is a good starting point:

Item|Price
    ASRock B75M, Sockel 1155, mATX|€60.70
    Intel Core i3-2120 Box, LGA1155|€107.48
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€35.93
    Samsung SSD 830 64GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€69.18
    WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 6Gb/s|€63.75
    LiteOn iHAS122-18 schwarz SATA|€16.68
    be quiet! Pure Power 350 Watt / BQT L7|€37.03
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€32.77
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version)|€80.72
    Ultron Cardreader 75-in-1, intern, schwarz|€9.10
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€532.33

The 64-bit English version is OOS, but the key is what you're paying for. Just download the English 64-bit ISO onto a disc and boot from it, and then enter the code from the German version.

If you want to upgrade this build, you could slide in a 1tb HDD, 128GB SSD, nicer case or an i5.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Yeah, I'd go with that build but through in this CPU instead. The quad core will help with the photoshop and video stuff.

Here's the link to get the English Windows 7 iso:
    http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso

• Registered Users Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭tylerdurden94

Eboggles wrote: »
    Here is a good starting point:

Item|Price
    ASRock B75M, Sockel 1155, mATX|€60.70
    Intel Core i3-2120 Box, LGA1155|€107.48
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€35.93
    Samsung SSD 830 64GB SATA 6GB's Paper Box|€69.18
    WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 6Gb/s|€63.75
    LiteOn iHAS122-18 schwarz SATA|€16.68
    be quiet! Pure Power 350 Watt / BQT L7|€37.03
    BitFenix Merc Beta|€32.77
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit (SB-Version)|€80.72
    Ultron Cardreader 75-in-1, intern, schwarz|€9.10
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€532.33

The 64-bit English version is OOS, but the key is what you're paying for. Just download the English 64-bit ISO onto a disc and boot from it, and then enter the code from the German version.

If you want to upgrade this build, you could slide in a 1tb HDD, 128GB SSD, nicer case or an i5.
    deconduo wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd go with that build but through in this CPU instead. The quad core will help with the photoshop and video stuff.

Here's the link to get the English Windows 7 iso:
    http://msft.digitalrivercontent.net/win/X17-58997.iso

Cheers folks that's a fantastic starting point, would probably like to go for an i5 just for that extra oomph & a bigger SSD 120/128.

I don't do a lot of photoshop more so Adobe Lightroom, been meaning for a long time to learn photoshop though.

Everything listed above is all that I need? What about a dedicated graphics card? Browsing Dabs I do quite like the look of this case opinions?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Cheers folks that's a fantastic starting point, would probably like to go for an i5 just for that extra oomph & a bigger SSD 120/128.

I don't do a lot of photoshop more so Adobe Lightroom, been meaning for a long time to learn photoshop though.

Everything listed above is all that I need? What about a dedicated graphics card? Browsing Dabs I do quite like the look of this case opinions?

No need for a dedicated GPU for this build. If you do plan to do a bit of gaming at some point, I'd recommend getting a slightly beefier PSU so it can handle one without an upgrade.

That case is old and not great. If you want something sleek and quiet I'd go with this:

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/Mini/49191/FRACTAL+DESIGN+Geh%C3%A4use+Define+Mini.article

deconduo wrote: »
    No need for a dedicated GPU for this build. If you do plan to do a bit of gaming at some point, I'd recommend getting a slightly beefier PSU so it can handle one without an upgrade.

That case is old and not great. If you want something sleek and quiet I'd go with this:

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/Mini/49191/FRACTAL+DESIGN+Geh%C3%A4use+Define+Mini.article

Have no intentions to game on it, have an xbox and that only really gets used for Fifa with some mates and a little bit of Modern Warfare.

I see the motherboard can handle up to 16gb or RAM, thinking I might go a little crazy on that and max it out.

As for the case you linked that's pretty nice. As for the look of the build that all seems pretty sweet.

Question about payments for that site, are they easy enough to deal with? They have a few different methods of payment on their site. Cash or PayPal would be ideal.
    You can choose one of the following methods of payment:

by cash on delivery

Our associate delivery company DHL delievers your article to the given aderess. Please check up at presence of the bearer if the articles are undamaged. (Special costs: 2 Euros cash on delivery for DHL for every parcel within Germany). Information about the shipping costs you get here.

by in advance

You pay in advance and we deliver as soon as the value is credited to our account. More details you get at the end of your order and in you affirmative mail.

by online bank transfer

The transfer is raised by the Banking-System of T-Online - irrespective of what provider you have. For the online bank transfer you need your bank data, your pin and tan number. For further information you get here.

• Advertisement

Hey folks just wanted to say cheers for the heads about this, fingers crossed I will get this ordered during the week. One last quick question chatting with a friend last night he was adamant that I needed a dedicated graphics card for watching HD videos/editing photos etc and I tried to make the point that it's not really needed for this build, just for reassurance it certainly isn't needed is it? He also mentioned that the PSU wasn't the best?

Just a quick update on this, finally got around to getting this ordered after a few small changes it came to a total of €587 including all transaction/shipping costs.

Looking forward to it arriving and me getting a chance to put it together, cheers to you all who gave me some input on this really appreciated the help :)

Little help if possible folks, the parts arrived this afternoon and I've been putting it together since but for some reason I can't get the picture to appear on my monitor to get on with the OS install etc.

Tried VGA/DVI connection but nothing.

Little help if possible folks, the parts arrived this afternoon and I've been putting it together since but for some reason I can't get the picture to appear on my monitor to get on with the OS install etc.

Tried VGA/DVI connection but nothing.

Have you got the CPU 4+4pin connector in? Very common mistake.

Post pics if you want.

Have you got the CPU 4+4pin connector in? Very common mistake.

Post pics if you want.

I did get caught on that at the start but swapped it out, it boots up and stops then boots again then stops, it's like its in a loop maybe because the jumpers aren't set correctly?

• Advertisement

I did get caught on that at the start but swapped it out, it boots up and stops then boots again then stops, it's like its in a loop maybe because the jumpers aren't set correctly?

What are the specs of the computer? You said that you changed the original build a bit...

EDIT: Try the RAM in different slots, and only use one stick.

What are the specs of the computer? You said that you changed the original build a bit...

Basically what was quoted I just dropped a few bits like the OS/HDD and upped the ram and bought the recommend i5.

Think we are onto a winner I removed one of the ram sticks and its booting up a display.

Boom we're up and running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Think we are onto a winner I removed one of the ram sticks and its booting up a display.

Boom we're up and running.

Like what has been said take out the ram and leave just one stick in and see if it boots, do you mind taking a photo of your setup right now so we can take a look see to make sure you didn't plug something in the wrong place :)

/edit never mind your last post didn't show up til i posted :confused:

Basically what was quoted I just dropped a few bits like the OS/HDD and upped the ram and bought the recommend i5.

Ok, have you:
    • Installed the motherboard/case standoffs?
    • Plugged the CPU Fan into the header?
    • Tried it with just one RAM stick?
    • Ensured all cables are securely connected?

Is the RAM definitely compatible? Just checking ;).

Unplug all peripherals as well.

EDIT: You've sorted it, nice one!

Have windows 7 installing at the moment off a USB drive, so I'm happy with that was getting worried for a second that I botched it up.

Had been a long time since I done a fresh build had to google a few bits, I will upload a pic of it in a few minutes, SSD OS installation is super quick it's nearly finished.

There is a few connections that I've no idea about, there is one from the case for the front panel USB connections, then there is those bloody jumper settings.

Obviously the cables need tidying which I will do later when it's all done and dusted.

IMG_20120628_175128.jpg

IMG_20120628_175152.jpg

The bottom pic has the connection with the blue tip also there is one connection for the media card reader which I'm unsure of where it goes.

Is that the Merc Beta? Nice cable management opportunities there... :)

Is that the Merc Beta? Nice cable management opportunities there... :)

It's a pretty sweet case for sure.

I have tried to put the other ram stick in and swapped them over but it goes into that loop, why is that the motherboards is suppose to be able to handle 16gb of ram?

It's a pretty sweet case for sure.

I have tried to put the other ram stick in and swapped them over but it goes into that loop, why is that the motherboards is suppose to be able to handle 16gb of ram?

Wait, so when you put two in, it doesn't work? But both of them work separately? Could be a faulty slot.

• Advertisement

Wait, so when you put two in, it doesn't work? But both of them work separately? Could be a faulty slot.

Up and running now and getting all the latest updates etc installed, instantly picked up my DiNovo Edge which I was a little worried about.

As for the ram I've tried one stick in both slots and it works but when I try to put two in it doesn't work.

Edit this ram I got.

Didn't get a chance over the weekend to mess with it but just tried to get it sorted now and it looks to be a faulty ram stick.

How do I go about getting it rectified from the site?

Advertisement