Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Blank PDF connect to amazon

• 05-06-2012 3:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭

I have windows and was given a pdf that was created on a mac. It is blank and tries to connect to amazon. Would it be a kindle pdf or is it cos it was created on a mac that I cannot read it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

If you right click and select properties how big is the file? Have you tried to open it up using different pdf viewers? If it tries to connect to amazon then it might just be a hyperlink and not the actual pdf (like a .html file instead of a pdf).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 306 ✭✭Departed

chin_grin wrote: »
    If you right click and select properties how big is the file? Have you tried to open it up using different pdf viewers? If it tries to connect to amazon then it might just be a hyperlink and not the actual pdf (like a .html file instead of a pdf).
    it is 2.3MB. Would a hyperlink be that size? I only have adobe and Foxit and neither will open it

Departed wrote: »
    it is 2.3MB. Would a hyperlink be that size? I only have adobe and Foxit and neither will open it

Yeah, seems like a usual size for a pdf all right and Foxit would be the viewer I'd recommend.

Was this bought just for a kindle (amazons ebook reader).

If you installed this extension for firefox does it open up with that?

http://www.epubread.com/en/

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Could be a DRM issue? (I.e: The connection to Amazons servers is authorizing the document)

Nick

Yeah, seems like a usual size for a pdf all right and Foxit would be the viewer I'd recommend.

Was this bought just for a kindle (amazons ebook reader).

If you installed this extension for firefox does it open up with that?

http://www.epubread.com/en/
    no it doesn't. Blank page instead of a blank adobe screen

Thanks;)

• Advertisement

yoyo wrote: »
    Could be a DRM issue? (I.e: The connection to Amazons servers is authorizing the document)

Nick
    Don't know will check that later if can. have to go out now. Thanks
    ;)

no it doesn't. Blank page instead of a blank adobe screen

Thanks;)

Hmm. May need to go back to the start with this one. So it was downloaded\created on a mac (did it open fine on that before copying it over?). Is there any way you could get another copy or test it on the original machine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

converted from a blank white pdf to a blank black doc file-open office

Hmm. May need to go back to the start with this one. So it was downloaded\created on a mac (did it open fine on that before copying it over?). Is there any way you could get another copy or test it on the original machine?

I do not know if it was created or downloaded to a mac. I presumed it was as it says

PDF producer MAC OS x 10.5.6 Quartz PDFContext
    Fast web view yes PDF version 1.6.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 helperx

I have the same problem. I have windows and was given a pdf that was created on a mac. After opening in Adobe Reader it has blank pages and tries to connect to amazon. After connecting to Amazon nothing is changing - still blank pages. What should I do?

In document properties it says:

Producer: Mac OS X 10.5.6 Quartz PDFContext

helperx wrote: »
    I have the same problem. I have windows and was given a pdf that was created on a mac. After opening in Adobe Reader it has blank pages and tries to connect to amazon. After connecting to Amazon nothing is changing - still blank pages. What should I do?

In document properties it says:

Producer: Mac OS X 10.5.6 Quartz PDFContext
    I was thinking maybe a virtual mac but its a big download and seems a lot of hassle and might not work. Does anyone know if it would work?

I was thinking maybe a virtual mac but its a big download and seems a lot of hassle and might not work. Does anyone know if it would work?

It may be a protection of some sort, just ask the Mac user to resend it in another format or use a different PDF writer. I have access to OSX if the doc isn't important/confidential you could send me it if you like and I'll try for you, but I don't think the Mac is the issue here

Nick

use a different PDF writer.
    This ^^^.

PDF is cross platform and will work on all OS, it's the inbuilt PDF creator on the Mac using weird Formatting thats the problem.

You could try renaming it.
    I have access to OSX if the doc isn't important/confidential you could send me it if you like and I'll try for you, but I don't think the Mac is the issue here

Nick
    Upload it here so we can all have a look :pac::pac:

Actually there is one of that type uploaded that can be previewed from the site. May do ya.

use a different PDF writer

I used Adobe, Foxit, PDFcreator and many others. Nothing works.

Change of name changes nothing.
    Upload it here so we can all have a look

Ok I have uploaded it here:

http://www.pdf-archive.com/2012/06/07/plik1/

OK tested that PDF on OSX Snow Leopard (Preview and Adobe), neither work. Adobe is connecting to Amazon Books, I'm guessing its got DRM on it.
    Edit: Also by PDF Writer, I do not mean reader, I meant the tool the mac user used to make the PDF document

Nick

This ^^^.

PDF is cross platform and will work on all OS, it's the inbuilt PDF creator on the Mac using weird Formatting thats the problem.

Upload it here so we can all have a look :pac::pac:

Actually there is one of that type uploaded that can be previewed from the site. May do ya.

EDIT sorry replied to wrong person, though you were addressing my post

OK tested that PDF on OSX Snow Leopard (Preview and Adobe), neither work. Adobe is connecting to Amazon Books, I'm guessing its got DRM on it.
    Edit: Also by PDF Writer, I do not mean reader, I meant the tool the mac user used to make the PDF document

Nick
    I thought DRM on a PDF would only stop the printing, copying, editing of it??

Saving as a .ps and then resaving as .pdf doesn't work?

I thought DRM on a PDF would only stop the printing, copying, editing of it??

I think its a digital ebook with probably some kind of additional DRM layer to prevent sharing, that only certain devices/programs can understand. Thats my guessing anyways, especially as it won't open on multiple programs on both Mac and Windows and tries to open the Kindle book store when open!

Nick

why cant i download it?

• Advertisement

I think its a digital ebook with probably some kind of additional DRM layer to prevent sharing, that only certain devices/programs can understand. Thats my guessing anyways, especially as it won't open on multiple programs on both Mac and Windows and tries to open the Kindle book store when open!

Nick
    yes it does even when told not to connect to web. Would adobe digital edtions open it. Thanks for the mac test saved me all sorts of installs/downloads

Maybe it was a differnt format ebook converted to pdf on a mac?

I tried it and nothing.
    why cant i download it?

I don't know. I can. I may upload somewhere else if you want.

I tried it and nothing.

I don't know. I can. I may upload somewhere else if you want.
    Its OK can see it is blank online

Nick
    Ah, missed the Kindle mention in OP!! Apart from the obvious DE (which prob won't work anyway/or cuz of Quartz, don't know why this was used), nothing else to add as it will be snipped or have Thread locked!!

Google is your Friend.

Looks like DRM on ebooks days are numbered.

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/12/04/25/0433203/why-ebook-drm-has-to-go

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/why-e-book-drm-will-die-and-why-this-will-make-no-difference-to-amazon-and-apple/19766

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Sup08

I was able to convert the document to a word document and nothing on the pages. Blank :(

I am going to close this as I think the issue is related to digital Right Management (DRM) and I don't want any discussion on how to reverse this :) . OP if the document is not copyrighted please PM me and I'll re-open.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement