Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Module 50/70 oil burner problem

Options
  • 02-06-2012 7:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

Hello,
    It seems that im experiencing some trouble with my burner, it was working perfectlly, but one day i noticed that my radators are cold... Ive let the air out from each one of them, power on burner again and nothing happened, then ive noticed that i dont hear the burner working, so i went out to have a look at it, removed the panel, read the manual.. The cut off button wasnt lit, so i reseted the thermostat, and still nothing happened, also tryed to press reset button on cut off thingy, burner started to sound like it should start but after shuts off and nothing happens again, i tryed couple of times pressing it, and same thing happened over and over again the burner starts to sound like normal and then switches off....
    What could be the problem? Should i call the technician or theres something i can do myself? Oil tank is full

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Funny you should say that, as mine (different make with motorised valves) has stopped working too.The lights on the control panel are on showing its on, but the rads are cold and the pump is working.As its bloody raining, I cant go out to check the trip switch:(.

I do recall a similar problem with the same boiler before and I reset an item thats connected into the internals of the boiler (dont know the name)and going onto the oil feed pipe.It seemed to reset it.Yours might be different, but have a look to see

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭lisij

jimmyw wrote: »

I do recall a similar problem with the same boiler before and I reset an item thats connected into the internals of the boiler (dont know the name)and going onto the oil feed pipe.It seemed to reset it.Yours might be different, but have a look to see
    what item, is it a wire? Where it is exactly located? On the front where lock off reset and thermostat buttons are? Or somewhere at the back... Same here, cant look at it cause of the rain :(

Sounds like it's something with the unit that feeds oil into the boiler (don't know what it's called).
    I had a similar problem a couple of years ago, the unit that feeds oil in to the burner jammed up due to dirt in the oil(the fan stopped as well), I had it replaced but kept the oil one which I was able to clean up! and also fitted an in-line oil filter into the pipe from the tank. :o

Sounds like it's something with the unit that feeds oil into the boiler (don't know what it's called).
    I had a similar problem a couple of years ago, the unit that feeds oil in to the burner jammed up due to dirt in the oil(the fan stopped as well), I had it replaced but kept the oil one which I was able to clean up! and also fitted an in-line oil filter into the pipe from the tank. :o

Yeah i thought same thing with the dirt stuck in oil somewhere, any instruction you can give for me to follow? Or i better of calling an expert?

lisij wrote: »
    Yeah i thought same thing with the dirt stuck in oil somewhere, any instruction you can give for me to follow? Or i better of calling an expert?
    Unless you know what you're doing, leave this to the technicians who have been trained in working on the burners.

• Advertisement

I can only speak about my own one, but I am only going on memory now but it was a copper/brass wire going from a device on the oil feed line to the boiler and it can be reset which did get the boiler going correctly.Its probably a fire preventive safety device. Now it may/may not be the fault, only just saying it worked before on mine.

A plumber will know for sure what it is and will be able to fix it, but in the meantime, its worth a look.

lads, would some one say what this red thing for? shall i try to twist it or not?

5aqLE.jpg

aXPCk.jpg

Looks like a pressure relief valve, DON'T turn it, you may cause a pipe burst somewhere.

Looks like a pressure relief valve, DON'T turn it, you may cause a pipe burst somewhere.
    Ok thanks, wont be touching this then :)

The things I have to do for boardies:D.I had to go out in the rain to check mine and yes there is a valve that's onto the feed pipe and going into the boiler (See pics), I pulled it up and pressed the reset button and off she goes purring away.

That red thing looks like the reset button on yours OP, I would say just to press in the black switch or see if it will pull out , not to turn the red knob,

This is the other end of that valve in the boiler. Didn't do anything to this red knob.

img022l.jpg

The valve itself, pulled up and then press the reset button on the boiler.

img024ka.jpg

overview
    img020el.jpg

• Advertisement

The things I have to do for boardies:D.I had to go out in the rain to check mine and yes there is a valve that's onto the feed pipe and going into the boiler (See pics), I pulled it up and pressed the reset button and off she goes purring away.

That red thing looks like the reset button on yours OP, I would say just to press in the black switch or see if it will pull out , not to turn the red knob,

This is the other end of that valve in the boiler. Didn't do anything to this red knob.

img022l.jpg

The valve itself, pulled up and then press the reset button on the boiler.

img024ka.jpg

overview
    img020el.jpg
    sorry for making you going outside in this weather :)
    that black jog isnt a button and you cannot press it on my one, but there is a reset button, it is small sticking out stick just bessides the heat regulator, but pressing it nothing happens
    damn, guess im calling an the technician

No you're grand OP:D,I have to do it for myself anyway.The reset button is on the boiler itself.Did you check to see if that valve is on the feed pipe?

I am not saying this is your problem, but it may be. I can see the reset button from your pic.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/59682227@N03/7326545934/in/photostream

Reset button, circled in blue
    boiler.jpg

Did you check to see if that valve is on the feed pipe?
    em to be honest i dont see the valve at all near my boiler or outside of it, the only one i see it is near the tank, also there's a filter with it, or at least i think its filter :) now about the reset button, ive been pressing it million of times already, and like i said in the first post, its starts to make noise for a few seconds, noise is like it will start the burning process, but then switches off and thats it

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

We have a Grant Module 50/90 and experienced a very similar problem to yours. Downloaded the manual, tried doing what it said (namely pressing that red reset button) and it did nothing. Turned out there was an air lock in the boiler, we took off the red cover, turned a valve with an alan key, and and a fair amount of air, with a bit of kerosene, bubbled out, closed back the valve, and the heating started working again.

The air lock was caused by the fact that we ran out of oil without realising and kept the heat on, and even once the tank was full we still had to let the air out of the boiler. I can go out and grab a picture of the exact part we opened if that would help you?

The oil filter looks a bit line this.

Heating_Oil_Filter661-DFss.jpg
    and the fire valve looks like this.
    firevalve_basic.600.jpg
    these items could be anywhere in the pipeline between the burner and the tank, but usually the filter is near the tank and the fire valve is near the burner, in the event of a fire it shuts off oil to the burner, check that it's open.

delta36 wrote: »

The air lock was caused by the fact that we ran out of oil without realising and kept the heat on, and even once the tank was full we still had to let the air out of the boiler. I can go out and grab a picture of the exact part we opened if that would help you?
    oh please do, really want to fix this thing :( would there be alot of mess after all the air and oil comes loose? any safety precautions?

The oil filter looks a bit line this.

Heating_Oil_Filter661-DFss.jpg
    yeah thats is what it looks like besides the tank

and the fire valve looks like this.
    firevalve_basic.600.jpg
    these items could be anywhere in the pipeline between the burner and the tank, but usually the filter is near the tank and the fire valve is near the burner, in the event of a fire it shuts off oil to the burner, check that it's open.
    i cant seem to locate this thing anywhere :(

I'll throw this up for you as well lisij, went out and took photos:

First off for reference this is the outside, we removed the red cover and had to loosen/remove two screws which are highlighted in yellow.
    2012-06-03124911.jpg

You can now see the valve on the left hand side, circled in yellow.
    2012-06-03124940.jpg

And a close up of the valve because I wasn't sure how clear the photos would be.
    2012-06-03124947.jpg

We didn't have too much of a mess, we unscrewed that valve a fair number of turns, but didn't take it off completely (counting the number of times you turn it so you can put it back as is might help) and had some tissue around it and a plastic cup underneath to collect any run off. Not a whole lot spilled out, but just in case your problem isn't actually due to an airlock, it's best to be prepared. We noticed immediately that air was coming out as bubbles started to form around the valve. As for safety precautions, don't smoke near it! :pac: But in all honesty, if you have a pair of rubber gloves, wear them, because apparently kerosene isn't fantastic for your skin. Hope this helps, and was clear, good luck!

em to be honest i dont see the valve at all near my boiler or outside of it, the only one i see it is near the tank, also there's a filter with it, or at least i think its filter :) now about the reset button, ive been pressing it million of times already, and like i said in the first post, its starts to make noise for a few seconds, noise is like it will start the burning process, but then switches off and thats it

Yes that's basicly what happened to me too.Is that brown pipe in your pic OP that is connected to the red item you mentioned in your previous posts connected to the feed from your tank? If it is then I would say that this is the equivalent of the valve I mentioned only that yours is in a different location and you might try to see if it can be moved anyway, in or out (fire valve was mentioned before).

• Advertisement

I'll throw this up for you as well lisij, went out and took photos:

First off for reference this is the outside, we removed the red cover and had to loosen/remove two screws which are highlighted in yellow.
    2012-06-03124911.jpg

You can now see the valve on the left hand side, circled in yellow.
    2012-06-03124940.jpg

And a close up of the valve because I wasn't sure how clear the photos would be.
    2012-06-03124947.jpg

We didn't have too much of a mess, we unscrewed that valve a fair number of turns, but didn't take it off completely (counting the number of times you turn it so you can put it back as is might help) and had some tissue around it and a plastic cup underneath to collect any run off. Not a whole lot spilled out, but just in case your problem isn't actually due to an airlock, it's best to be prepared. We noticed immediately that air was coming out as bubbles started to form around the valve. As for safety precautions, don't smoke near it! :pac: But in all honesty, if you have a pair of rubber gloves, wear them, because apparently kerosene isn't fantastic for your skin. Hope this helps, and was clear, good luck!

Ok, tryed this method, some small amount of oil came out, and seen some bubbles but nothing major, not even sure there shoul alot, anyways, nothing worked, the burner still havnt started

Ok, tryed this method, some small amount of oil came out, and seen some bubbles but nothing major, not even sure there shoul alot, anyways, nothing worked, the burner still havnt started

Did you press the reset button after doing that?

Yes that's basicly what happened to me too.Is that brown pipe in your pic OP that is connected to the red item you mentioned in your previous posts connected to the feed from your tank? If it is then I would say that this is the equivalent of the valve I mentioned only that yours is in a different location and you might try to see if it can be moved anyway, in or out (fire valve was mentioned before).

As for that pipe, it is not connected to anything, its a pipe with one end connected to te burner (red thingy) and other end is free like it isnot connected to anything, so i pressume it is nothintog to do with my situation i guess... Any other suggestion lads?

Did you press the reset button after doing that?

Yeap, tryed this 2 times, let the valve run with cerosine, screw it back pressed the button, unscrewed the valve again pressed the button again, nothing :(

Yeap, tryed this 2 times, let the valve run with cerosine, srew it back pressed thenutton, unsrewd the valve again pressed the button again, nothing :(

Damn, that sucks, sounded like you were having the exact same problem we did, obviously not! Hope you can get this sorted!

Sounds more like a blocked jet at this stage, time to call in the experts!

ok this might be the silly question, but which way should the valve be turned? is it the right way in the picture?
    iVipz.jpg

Sounds more like a blocked jet at this stage, time to call in the experts!
    i think so too, oh well, time to call my landlord :)

ok this might be the silly question, but which way should the valve be turned? is it the right way in the picture?
    iVipz.jpg

Yes that's correct, it's Open.

• Advertisement

Damn, that sucks, sounded like you were having the exact same problem we did, obviously not! Hope you can get this sorted!
    thank for all the help, and sorry again for all the hassle

Advertisement