Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-05-2012, 18:47   #1

Pear trees withering

Summer at last!
Evening folks, wondering if anyone is having bother with their pear trees at this type of year?
Have a conference & some other variety in the garden, half standards planted 3 summers ago. They were in good leaf until last week, now the leaves have started to blacken at the tips and wither & I don't know why.

There's been enough rain & the site, while open, isn't overly exposed. This is the 2nd yr it's happened.

Any idea what could be the problem? Can't even get it to flower, hence no fruit since day one

Any advice appreciated...
Advertisement
22-05-2012, 19:59   #2
magicbastarder

sounds like wind burn; they won't have liked the cold. they should start to recover soon...
22-05-2012, 21:08   #3
pwurple

I got a bit of damage on pear trees. Mine is fungal I think. It has been very damp around here.
24-05-2012, 14:41   #4
Alun

Same thing here. I have a conference pear that was doing great things until the recent cold spell set in. Had loads of flowers, and plenty of small fruits starting to form, but the leaves were still very light green and not properly unfurled in some cases. Then the wind/rain/hail/cold came and 90% of the fruit stems have dropped off and the leaves are showing signs of damage similar to what the OP described.
24-05-2012, 15:27   #5
Clare man

I have same problem, this and last year, this is wind burn related most likely caused by recent cold and windy weather. Assuming all the blossoms did not blow off, you shouldbe fine and tree will recover

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion