Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Luck money

Options
  • 13-05-2012 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

I bought a car from a dealership recently and when handing over the keys the MD handed me over a euro as luck money on an €8k deal.
    I know of the custom in selling livestock (a farming thread just reminded me of it) but never expected it and to be honest was impressed by the gesture.

I presume it would be more popular in private sales.
    So, would the custom be popular? Anyone given or received "luck money" with a sale or purchase?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

i handed back a tenner on my first sale, a 650e punto. but didnt for my second cos the buyer was an a**hole :)

Reg_hurley wrote: »
    .......... Anyone given or received "luck money" with a sale or purchase?

Bought an ole Merc for €450, the chap wasn't there when I went to collect it, his Missus handed me back €20 on his authority.

Only other time I received something like it was when I won a few hundred off a bet, the on course bookie paid out (in €s) and gave me a Scottish Pound Note for luck, was surprised enough, still have that note, later on that evening I noticed one of the €50 notes was fake :mad:, a bad one at that, hadn't noticed at the time as there was a fair few of them and it was pissing rain.

Got a genuine one off him in it's place the folllowing day, thank feck 'twasn't the last day of the meeting :D

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭DaveJac

i have always given something back for luck when ive sold cars, and i recieved it on nearly all the cars ive bought, the one time i didnt get it was after driving to the UK for a car handing the guy over 5 grand cash him sitting there drinking tea full of chat before i handed over the money he counted the money and was nearly pushed out the door no luck penny no tea haha just a different culture i think

• Registered Users Posts: 51,156 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

When I sold my last car privately I put €20 of diesel in the day the buyer collected it, for luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭Col200sx

Yep I throw in 20euro petrol/luck money in a deal too.

And I've gotten luck money back too on most cars.

The only time I didn't, was when I picked up a car in UK, I didn't even get a penny back, considering I'd travelled over with over £4k stg, oh, and it was practically running on fumes too :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

bought jeep few years ago in uk , for exporting to my native country, also, no luck money, and jeep was on fumes, barely reached first petrolstation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It the UK you would be lucky to get anywhere with low levels of their tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bazz26 wrote: »
    When I sold my last car privately I put €20 of diesel in the day the buyer collected it, for luck.

You own luck so he'd be at least 100 miles away by the time he opened anything? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

ah good. Looks like it's fairly popular so.
    It's a nice custom.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭pred racer

Ill always give something back (btw around me its expected that luck is paper money, not coins) and if its not offered ill ask for it. It only has to be a fiver and its a nice gesture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Reg_hurley wrote: »
    I bought a car from a dealership recently and when handing over the keys the MD handed me over a euro as luck money on an €8k deal.
    I know of the custom in selling livestock (a farming thread just reminded me of it) but never expected it and to be honest was impressed by the gesture.

I presume it would be more popular in private sales.
    So, would the custom be popular? Anyone given or received "luck money" with a sale or purchase?

One euro out of 8k ??? A fairly feeble effort.

Depending on value of car, I'd usually give 20 or 50 luck, either as cash or as fuel.

I put 50 diesel into a 15k car going out last Friday for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Reg_hurley

lifer_sean wrote: »
    One euro out of 8k ??? A fairly feeble effort.

Depending on value of car, I'd usually give 20 or 50 luck, either as cash or as fuel.

I put 50 diesel into a 15k car going out last Friday for example.
    No, to be fair to him, he just gave the euro coin as a token.
    He had also filled the tank, so around €80

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I have dealt with a number or horse traders in business and this luck money is not only a gesture but expected, its part of the deal and is a sizeable amount. If I gave them a euro I would be told where to go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 sxq61

Never got it from a garage but did give the lad a tenner who bought my last car. Nice idea.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I sold a car last month for 7k, and gave the owner 50e for petrol/luck ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i never think of it and it comes as a surprise when a seller does! When I bought my ST170 the guy gave me back €20 which was decnet and I handed it straight to my Son who had driven me up to get it...what goes round etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

Ive never gotten or given luck money. Seems like Im in the minority here but never once crept into my head when buying or selling cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

Sold my car last month and gave the lad 20e for petrol.

Nice thing to keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I would give something back when i sell any car and when buying i'd ask if it was someone who trades cars, if it was a private sale i wouldn't ask, but normally they will hand over something.

The guys that bought my Prelude flew over from England so i gave them €50 (on a 3k deal), but would usually only be €20.

Advertisement