Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland’s BioBlitz 2012 18/19th May

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

whyulittle wrote: »

I assume this event is open to people not participating? :) I would like to go and listen/watch; will there be other people doing that or will I just be left alone while the teams compete?!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mecksimay

Definitely go along Meller. The event is open to everyone. If you want to record species you will need to register at the base camp. There will also be various events organised for the public at the different locations so it might be good to go along to one of those where you can learn about recording wildlife i.e. different techniques for recording different creatures!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

There is a full list of events taking places at Boora over the two days on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Best of luck to everyone involved :) No locations near me this year so not sure who to shout for...:p

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

I hear Glengarriff were the winners with 1020 species.I wonder is there a list somewhere of what they got in each area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

I was at Lough Boora Parklands for the Dawn Chorus, a great morning, the highlight for me was the fly-over by a Woodcock, just brilliant. I didn't see or hear the Long Eared Owls but they were spotted by another group, lucky them.

One of the guys togged out for the aqua search, brave man in that weather..

The weather was terrible so the moth traps were pretty lean...

Lough Boora Parklands 3rd with 940 speces....

http://www.facebook.com/LoughBooraParklands

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

thebishop wrote: »
    I hear Glengarriff were the winners with 1020 species.I wonder is there a list somewhere of what they got in each area?

Didn't they win it last year??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Killarney won it last year. To date different locations have competed each year.

I don't think the full species list is available online.

There were some quality moths at Lough Boora. Hawk-moths, Buff-tip are always great public pleasers and a couple of scarcer species as well.

Only about one moth per trap in Phoenix park. It was cold and wet and seeing the weather today...if only.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Mothman wrote: »
    Only about one moth per trap in Phoenix park. It was cold and wet and seeing the weather today...if only.....

Allways the way:(

The species list for each of the sites is now available. Some interesting species listed for Boora to keep me hooked.

Phoenix Park, Dublin

Crawfordsburn Country Park, Co. Down

Lough Boora Parklands, Co. Offaly

Glengarriff Nature Reserve, Co. Cork

This year's participants are also known.
    We're delighted to announce that the 4 main sites for BioBlitz 2013 have been finalised. Next year we'll see Wicklow Mountains National Park, Co. Wicklow; Lough Key Forest Pak, Co. Roscommon; Burren National Park, Co. Clare and Colebrooke Estate, Co. Fermanagh up against eachother.
    https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=481357741907682&id=174128575963935

• Advertisement

I've just noticed, the results have been changed.

Glengarriff who were crowned Champions have been demoted to 3rd, Boora up to 2nd and Crawfordsburn the new Champions.

Ouch to Glengarriff!

http://bioblitz.biodiversityireland.ie/

Advertisement