Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GAA 2012 Championship Coverage - RTÉ (13 Games in HD) & TV3

Options
  • 11-05-2012 8:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭

RTÉ have announced its coverage of this years championship games - http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2012/0511/320597-vcxvcv

13 of the 31 matches will be broadcast in HD
    RTÉ TELEVISION LIVE GAA CHAMPIONSHIP FOOTBALL & HURLING FIXTURES 2012

20 May
    Roscommon v Galway - Football

27 May
    Tipperary v Kerry - Football
    Tipperary v Limerick - Hurling

2 June
    Offaly v Wexford - Hurling

3 June
    Longford / Laois v Wexford - Football

9 June
    Roscommon / Galway v Sligo - Football (Deferred)

10 June
    Tipperary/ Kerry v Cork - Football
    Armagh v Tyrone - Football

16 June
    Derry v Cavan / Donegal - Football

17 June
    Galway / Westmeath / Antrim v Offaly / Wexford - Hurling
    Clare v Waterford - Hurling

23 June
    Carlow / Laois / Dublin v Kilkenny - Hurling

24 June
    Fermanagh / Down v Monaghan / Antrim - Football
    Tipperary / Limerick v Cork - Hurling

30 June
    Armagh / Tyrone v Derry / Cavan / Donegal - Football

1 July
    Meath / Wicklow / Carlow v Offaly / Kildare - Football

7 July
    All Ireland Qualifier - Hurling

8 July
    Leinster Senior Hurling Championship Final Hurling - (HD)

14 July
    All-Ireland Qualifier - Football

15 July
    Munster Senior Hurling Championship Final (HD)

22 July
    Lenister Senior Football Championship Final (HD)

28/29 July
    All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Q-Finals (HD)

4/5/6 Aug
    All Ireland Senior Football Championship Finals (HD)

12 Aug
    All Ireland Minor Hurling Championship Semi-Final
    All Ireland Senior Hurling championship Semi-Final (HD)

19 Aug
    All Ireland Minor Hurling championship Semi-Final
    All Ireland Senior Hurling championship Semi-Final (HD)

26 Aug
    All Ireland Minor Football Championship Semi-Final
    All Ireland Senior Football Championship Semi-Final (HD)

2 Sept
    All Ireland Minor Football Championship Semi-Final
    All Ireland Senior Football Championship Semi-Final (HD)

9 Sept
    All Ireland Senior Hurling Championship Final (HD)

23 Sept
    All Ireland Senior Football Championship Final (HD)

Two further HD matches will be confirmed as the season progresses

TV3 have also announced their coverage schedule
    TV3 Championship Fixtures 2012

3/6/2012 Dublin v Louth/Westmeath LSFC Q/F

1/7/2012 Dublin/Louth/Westmeath v Wexford/Longford/Laois LSFC S/F

8/7/2012 Munster Football Final MSFC

7/7/2012 Hurling Phase 2 Qualifier Possible

14/7/2012 Hurling Phase 3 / Football Round 2 Qualifier Possible

15/7/2012 Connacht Football Final CSFC

21/7/2012 Football Round 3 Qualifier Possible

22/7/2012 Ulster Football Final USFC

28/7/2012 All Ireland Football Round 4 Qualifier

29/7/2012 All Ireland Hurling Quarter Final TBC

4/8/2012 All Ireland Football Quarter Final TBC

9/9/2012 Minor Hurling Final MHC

23/9/2012 Minor Football Final MFC

http://www.tv3.ie/article.php?article_id=72368&locID=1.3&pagename=

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I was hoping that more would be broadcast in HD this year but meh, I'll take it.

I'd imagine a good few will be broadcast on RTE One due to Euro 2012 clashing in June, so obviously no HD then.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,500 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

marno21 wrote: »
    I'd imagine a good few will be broadcast on RTE One due to Euro 2012 clashing in June, so obviously no HD then.

This from Saorview over on facebook
    May 11th

There's less than a month to the start of Euro 2012! For the first time, Ireland fans will be able to watch the matches in HD for free on SAORVIEW. We're very excited - we may even have a little giveaway next week to celebrate so watch this space!

http://www.facebook.com/saorview/posts/330532860350073

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

It is a disgrace that TV3 have any of these fixtures considering they do not have national coverage and are refusing to join Saorsat, most gauling of all to see them with the Munster Final which will most likely be contested by Kerry and Cork both counties with huge rural populations of which are portion do not have Saorview and will be dependent on saorsat. The GAA should strip TV3 of their Championship rights unless they join Saorsat. Provincial finals and all the All-Ireland series matches should be broadcast by RTE in HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Perhaps not this year, as many people will still be analogue, but in subsequent years the likes of the RTE+1 channel could be put to better use where there are multiple sports fixtures on the same day, by broadcasting both of them while still allowing "regular" programming on RTE 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Stinicker wrote: »
    It is a disgrace that TV3 have any of these fixtures considering they do not have national coverage and are refusing to join Saorsat, most gauling of all to see them with the Munster Final which will most likely be contested by Kerry and Cork both counties with huge rural populations of which are portion do not have Saorview and will be dependent on saorsat. The GAA should strip TV3 of their Championship rights unless they join Saorsat. Provincial finals and all the All-Ireland series matches should be broadcast by RTE in HD.

Is TV3 not available in analogue to many rural viewers in counties Kerry and Cork? Also are you saying that when Euro 2012 and GAA clash GAA should always take precedence when it comes to HD?

• Advertisement

ardmacha wrote: »
    Perhaps not this year, as many people will still be analogue, but in subsequent years the likes of the RTE+1 channel could be put to better use where there are multiple sports fixtures on the same day, by broadcasting both of them while still allowing "regular" programming on RTE 1.
    Great idea but I guess this wouldn't be possible due to terms in which RTE1+1 is broadcast under.

Is TV3 not available in analogue to many rural viewers in counties Kerry and Cork? Also are you saying that when Euro 2012 and GAA clash GAA should always take precedence when it comes to HD?

TV3 has very poor reception in large parts of Kerry and Cork yes, where I live I have no Saorview due to Wind turbine interference, Analogue from Mullaghanish was wiped out 6 years ago by the wind turbines also. RTÉ have relays in the locality which are just rebroadcasting their channels on Sky and these will go with the ASO, and their quality was quite poor anyway. Saorsat while a good idea is practically usless without TV3 and 3e being included because when Analogue goes off the airwaves I and many other thousands of people will lose TV3 permanently unless the Government legislates to force them onto the Saorsat platform.

When Ireland are playing then RTÉ must give them full coverage in HD of-course and it is then a tradeoff between to decide the lesser importance GAA matches and lesser importance Euro 2012 games.

Giving the Munster Final to TV3 is a sick joke, they have rotten picture quality by SD standards, even worse commentators and their entire half time analysis consists of about 3 sentences and 15 minutes of advertising. It is a total joke and for what is one of the biggest and most important gaelic football games of the year to be given to this shambles of a broadcaster is terrible. I often slate RTÉ but their GAA coverage puts TV3 to shame any day of the week.

TV3 are a public broadcaster just like RTÉ, I don't care if they are private or state owned they have a duty to the public to be available to the people of Ireland on a Free to Air basis and the Government it seems are allowing them to shirk their responsibility if they fail to ensure that they are a must carry on Saorsat. Saorsat needs to be legislated for and I think renamed as Saorview via Satellite, all channels and future channels and services on Saorview should be duplicated on Saorsat similar to the Freeview New Zealand Service and Freesat UK which sees the National Tv stations available both via Digital Terrestrial TV and also FTA on Satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

It's the Munster semi-final which is going to be between Kerry and Cork which will be shown on RTÉ, TV3 have the Munster final which in all fairness is going to be a non event. You also have the option of watching TV3's championship games on their website or on AERTV.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

There is no issue of HD clashes based on schedule above, Euro 2012 is over well before the HD matches in later stages of championships start up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

You also have the option of watching TV3's championship games on their website or on AERTV.

Now there's an idea. No doubt the people in these remote areas with no Saorview could use their high speed internet instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Pity the Cork v Tipp Hurling today not in HD - considering participants and high profile nature of the match - would have been a good opportunity to showcase benefits of Saorview and HD. Roll on HD coverage especially for the hurling where it really does add to the viewing experience.

I was at the Kerry - Tyrone game today which TV3 had televised. Their equipment seems really ancient as I was looking at it on my way into the game. They use Thomson cameras which look at least ten years old and the whole outfit looks like it is ran of a VHS machine or something similar as it looks quite amateur.

There is a new press box in Fitzgerald Stadium in the new terrace behind the goal and despite this TV3 had Canavan, Daragh O'Sé and Matt Cooper like three stooges on the goal line. Complete with headphones! They were lucky it was a dry evening.

The TV3 camera man must not have a clue how to track a GAA match as having watched the recorded game this evening after the game the camera was swinging all over the place and the actually managed to miss Tomas O'Sé's own goal having only rudimentary footage of it from another angle.

They are total amateurs and until they either upgrade their anicent equipment (shocking resolution cameras) or outsource the games to a proper OBU then the GAA should strip them of viewing rights.

Don't even get me started on the terrible commentary with that Matt Cooper who's GAA knowledge seems limited at best.

Out of interest are there any parts of Kerry unable to pick up TV£ at present or is it all covered either by main analogue transmitters or those with Saorview?

Out of interest are there any parts of Kerry unable to pick up TV£ at present or is it all covered either by main analogue transmitters or those with Saorview?

There are massive swathes of Kerry without TV3 as TV3 only broadcasts from Mullaghanish and a few select repeaters. I myself get TV3 via one of these Analogue repeaters but that will be turned off in October. Saorview coverage in many parts of rural Kerry is totally non-existent and with TV3's refusal to go on Saorsat it leaves many people either without important high profile GAA matches like these or else they would have to subscribe to Sky.

TV3 are a shambolic company who should be stripped of their GAA rights and have the Government regulate and force them onto Saorsat or else boot them off Saorview entirely.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,350 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

There are massive swathes of Kerry without TV3 as TV3 only broadcasts from Mullaghanish and a few select repeaters. I myself get TV3 via one of these Analogue repeaters but that will be turned off in October. Saorview coverage in many parts of rural Kerry is totally non-existent and with TV3's refusal to go on Saorsat it leaves many people either without important high profile GAA matches like these or else they would have to subscribe to Sky.

TV3 are a shambolic company who should be stripped of their GAA rights and have the Government regulate and force them onto Saorsat or else boot them off Saorview entirely.

Select repeaters? The only source of analog TV3 apart from Mullaghanish in Kerry is Maghera for those lucky few in the north of the county, and there are very few self help schemes trnasmitting TV3, the total sum of households using theses repeaters collectively is no more than 100.

TV3 isn't carried from any of the 3 repeaters serving Kenmare, the high power Knockmoyle relay covering Tralee, Castleisland, Killorglan, Farranfore, Castlemaine etc, the Listowel relay, the Abbeyfeale relay, the 6/7 relays out by Dingle, the Kilkeveragh high power relay near Portmagee, the Castletownbere transmitter covering parts of the Beara and the southern Iveragh trnasmitter, the Lauragh transmitter, the Headford relay, the Gleann na nGealt transmitter near Camp etc etc. Anyone using these relays has to make do with dodgy reception from Mullaghanish or Maghera.

Cork, Galway, Clare, Mayo, Donegal and other counties also have the same issue. It's a disgrace the Ulster final was on TV3 earlier as very few parts of Dongeal have access to TV3.

The only saving grace is the availability of TV3 via saorview, and even then Saorsat viewers are screwed.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We don't drag up old threads. In any case, Broadcasting, Television, or GAA would be more appropriate places to discuss this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement