Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-05-2012, 15:15   #31
Babybuff
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNotWIse View Post
Looking for the big red X button lol
I don't think he/she is implying it is a conscious choice.
Advertisement
10-05-2012, 15:16   #32
OldNotWIse

Quote:
Originally Posted by feckedformocks View Post
?
Sorry, attempt at humour. The one they use on those silly "talent" shows during auditions. When they've heard enough they hit the red button and blast the person off the stage

Last edited by OldNotWIse; 10-05-2012 at 15:31.
10-05-2012, 15:20   #33
Babybuff
Closed Account

you could have added rolleyes for extra effect
10-05-2012, 15:22   #34
OldNotWIse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babybuff View Post
I don't think he/she is implying it is a conscious choice.
"we all have the capacity to be in a same-sex relationship biologically but psychologically we choose not to. It is down to psychological reasons we choose our partners I believe"
10-05-2012, 15:22   #35
OldNotWIse

Quote:
you could have added rolleyes for extra effect
who was that post for?
Advertisement
10-05-2012, 15:22   #36
feckedformocks
Closed Account

well fair enough, I hadn't intended on getting myself embroiled in such a hot topic but clearly differing views are out there and I'm of the minority at least in this forum!
10-05-2012, 15:22   #37
Babybuff
Closed Account

Quote:
"we all have the capacity to be in a same-sex relationship biologically but psychologically we choose not to. It is down to psychological reasons we choose our partners I believe"
I don't see the problem with the sentence, unless of course you have no idea what he is talking about.
10-05-2012, 15:23   #38
Fire1985

It's not a choice dumbass. Gay people are born gay.
10-05-2012, 15:25   #39
Babybuff
Closed Account

Quote:
who was that post for?
It was made in the same vein as your post which was intended to mock a pretty fair opinion, backed up with references because it doesn't fit in with your beliefs. Or you haven't grasped the bones of it.
Advertisement
10-05-2012, 15:25   #40
OldNotWIse

Quote:
I don't see the problem with the sentence, unless of course you have no idea what he is talking about.
Troll much?
10-05-2012, 15:27   #41
Babybuff
Closed Account

Quote:
Troll much?
The point has obviously gone over your head.
10-05-2012, 15:27   #42
feckedformocks
Closed Account

Quote:
perhaps a dictionary might help?
10-05-2012, 15:27   #43
OldNotWIse

Quote:
It was made in the same vein as your post which was intended to mock a pretty fair opinion, because it doesn't fit in with your beliefs. Or you haven't grasped the bones of it.
Ouch. So, when you are replying to a post, I think the correct procedure is to press "quote" and then the person knows that you are replying to them.

I wasn't mocking, like I said, it was an attempt at humour - sorry you didn't find it funny. Incidentally, telling a gay person that they "psychologically chose" to be gay is, in my opinion, a far greater mockery.

Last edited by OldNotWIse; 10-05-2012 at 15:30. Reason: typoooooooooooooooo
Thanks from:
10-05-2012, 15:29   #44
ViveLaVie

Quote:
Originally Posted by feckedformocks View Post
I was not implying that heterosexual people are 'just going through the motions in order to be happy' and to just simply 'fit into societal norms'. What I was saying was that we all have the capacity to be in a same-sex relationship biologically but psychologically we choose not to. It is down to psychological reasons we choose our partners I believe.

Innate bisexuality (or predisposition to bisexuality) is a term introduced by Sigmund Freud (based on work by his associate Wilhelm Fliess), that expounds all humans are born bisexual but through psychological development (which includes both external and internal factors) become monosexual while the bisexuality remains in a latent state.
Freud is not a reliable source for this. He has been challenged and in general his theories are not taken seriously any more. Freud also said that every boy wants to kill his father and have sex with his mother. His primary source for this? Hamlet. Not any actual empirical evidence. Just because Freud decided to theorise on this doesn't make it factual. I'd like to see some scientific evidence that everyone is bisexually predisposed. I really don't agree that biologically everyone has this capacity. Show me biological proof.

When you say that psychologically we choose not to engage in bisexual relationships due to societal pressure, you are implying that a lot of heterosexual people choose to be solely inclined towards heterosexuality in order to fit into societal norms. I don't know what your stance is on the motivations behind homosexuality in this case is. If societal pressure prevents someone being psychologically able to engage in bisexuality then what prevents a homosexual from doing so? I do not think my sexual orientation should be considered less valid (in the sense that is potentially motivated due to societal pressure) than a bisexual's and nor do I think homosexual people would be happy with this either.
10-05-2012, 15:29   #45
Babybuff
Closed Account

Quote:
Ouch. So, when you are replying to a post, I think the correct procedure is to press "quote" and then the person knows that you are replying to them.

I wasn't mocking, like I said, it was an attempt at humour - sorry you didn't find it funny. Incidentally, telling a gay person that they "psychologically chose" to eb gay is, in my opinion, a far greater mockery.
in your case it's hit the "report post" function.
If you have an issue with the post, I suggest you report it. Or maybe you could help yourself by opening your mind up to understanding what it means.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Share Tweet