Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Returning a car to UK

Options
  • 10-05-2012 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hi,

can anyone advise how to go about re-registering a car in the UK that was imported into Ireland approx 3 years ago. Is it possible to have the original UK reg number for the car reassigned ?

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

It is about 9 years since I last did this. I contacted Customs here and got the old U.K. Reg. No. and took the car to a D.V.L.A. centre in the area. You Must have a new M.O.T. on the car first, they will do that with the Chassis No. I think it cost about £40. at the time. It is quite simple. It might be worthwhile going into D.V.L.A. website for more information. They did give me the old Reg. No. Thre is also a Phone No. for DVLA, but it is very hard to get trough to anybody. I hope this helps.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

The previous registration mark should be on the on the Irish VRC, this will usually be reassigned as it doesn't get reallocated when a car is exported (unless is was transferred before export) it just becomes dormant.

I think the form is a V55/5 and the current fee is 55 GBP.

If the MOT isn't done on UK reg number, it is done on chassis number (as are unregistered vehicles)

Plus a take-a-ticket visit to a local DVLA office (don't think they've closed them all down yet). Don't go at the start/end of month. Don't go at all around the start March/September.

Info here:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/motoring/buyingandsellingavehicle/importingandexportingavehicle/dg_4022583

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

I have the original plates, so I wondered if it was just a case of applying to Swansea for a replacement V5.
    Could it be reimported and placed on a SORN ?
    Alternatively,could it be MOT'd up North on its chassis number and then apply to Swansea for the new V5 to be issued or would I need a UK address to do that ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

A V5C needs a UK mainland address and ID (amongst other things if re-registering). Just like an Irish VRC needs an Irish address and a PPS no.

If the car was only imported to IRL 3 years ago, it should have an export marker against it with the DVLA. If it does, then it will need re-registering. If it doesn't they'll be a load of questions about the lack of SORN / missing VED (road tax) when it comes to re-taxing the thing.

Why, when given the correct procedure to follow, do you spend time thinking of ways round things? Even if you could get a replacement V5C, it still costs £25.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

To register a car in the U.K. you will need a U.K. address, you will also need U.K. insurance, and M.O.T. to tax the car. A Northern Iraland M.O.T.. is quite legal if you have a Northern Ireland Reg No., BUT you are still have the issue of the INSURANCE, which must cimply with the U.K. road traffic act. I still think you should phone the D.V.l.A and explain your problem, and they will advise you what to do. Before you do that have a U.K. address sorted out, particulary the POST CODE, as that will indicate what D.V.L.A. centre you will need to take the car to for inspection, if need be, they may not insost on this, but they may.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Thanks for that folks. Advice is much appreciated.

Advertisement