Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exam Queries

• 08-05-2012 9:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭

This time every year this forum gets a bunch of threads along the lines of:

What's the difference between required and compulsory modules?
    Can I pass this module by compensation?
    How does pass by compensation work?

Etc.

I thought it'd be a good idea to try and keep all such questions to one thread so that when one is answered it's easier for other students who might be wondering the same thing to see the answer.

Most questions can be answered here.

Peace and love,

Rob

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

For the record:

Pass By Compensation
    This is the idea that you can pass the year as long as your average mark is above 40% across all modules, and as long as you got more than 25% in every module. This includes your marks from continuous assessment.

Example
    In four modules, you get 50%, 50%, 50% and 30%. 180 divided by 4 is 45%, so you pass the year.

In four modules, you get 70%, 70%, 70% and 20%. Even though your average is 57.5%, you don't pass the year because not all of your marks were above 25%.

There are a bunch of exceptions to this rule, but that's the basic idea.

Compulsory vs Required Modules
    A compulsory module is one that you have to take as part of your course, but does not necessarily have implications for passing by compensation.

A required module is one that you cannot pass by compensation, even if you get a million percent in every other module and win a nobel prize for your thesis. You fail a required module, you fail the year.

Your Departmental Handbook should state if modules are required, compulsory or optional.

You should definitely see the link above for more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Zipp101

banquo wrote: »
    For the record:

You fail a required module, you fail the year.

But this module can still be re-sat in August presumably?

Most can be repeated in August, but not all exams. It's up to the department. If you think you're going to fail an exam or skip it to focus on others with an aim to repeating in August, make sure that the department will allow you to sit that exam in August.

Departmental secretaries know everything. Everything. Best ones to ask. If they're not around, ask your course convenor (should be on the website.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Just bumping this up in case there any questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,795 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Well it turns out I've failed two of my three subjects quite badly, only passed 1 of 8 exams across the two. What should i do now? If I contact the departments will they be able to tell me what is required in the repeats to pass the year?

• Advertisement

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Well it turns out I've failed two of my three subjects quite badly, only passed 1 of 8 exams across the two. What should i do now? If I contact the departments will they be able to tell me what is required in the repeats to pass the year?

Go to the consultation day this Tuesday coming. You'll be able to speak to lecturers and the exams office then, and they can give you a clear picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

On the consultation day can I review the papers I handed in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

During the consultation day and you feel that you should have gotten a good grade so after speaking to the lecturer can they change it ?

1. It depends on the lecturer whether or not you can review your paper; some have them present, many do not.

2. The lecturer can make recommendations to the exam board for your grade to be changed; these changes are usually accepted. Changing the lecturer's mind is another matter altogether. But meeting with them is still a far better route than filing a direct appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 llennocO

Hi everyone,

I've just finished final year and am having some trouble trying to evaluate my results meaningfully. I want to know whether I'm entitled to view data on the average total mark for the class and my rank/position within that class?

Wanted to check if this is permissible before I go chasing down department heads and exams office. Wouldn't want to be too presumptuous about these matters!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

I doubt that you'd be allowed to actually look at the data, but I'd imagine there would probably be no problem in asking what the average mark of your class etc was. I'd ask your department as opposed to the exams office.

One thing I'll say is try not to place too much importance on how your results mark up against other peoples. At the end of the day, you got what you got.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 anothernewbie

Just wondering does anyone have an idea of when the august exams will be over, maybe
    before the last week of august? Also when does the timetable for august usually come out?

Thanks !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

end of july for timetable, exams 8th -18th, results 5th of september

• Registered Users Posts: 25 anothernewbie

Great. Thanks Wonton !

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭brianclown

Hi All,

If you fail a module in a repeat year and got a higher mark for it in your original attempt which mark is used for the module? Also can you progress to the next year of a course having failed just one 7.5 credit module out of 60 credits? can subjects be compensated in order to pass a year?

A better result from a previous year doesn't transfer.

To pass a year you must pass all modules, but a failed module can be passed by compensation if the overall marks are strong enough to carry it.

Most (but not all) failed modules allow you to repeat that exam in August, and sometimes the department will allow you to resubmit continuous assessment too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

If you repeat a year, what way does it work? will it be on your degree/ is it something that will automatically known somehow?

wonton wrote: »
    If you repeat a year, what way does it work? will it be on your degree/ is it something that will automatically known somehow?
    When I repeated/finished final year, there was no mention of the modules I had done in my previous go of final year. You get a degree supplement with all your module results sent out after you graduate, and there was no mention of the fact I repeated on that. It doesn't say the year you started the degree either I think. Obviously the actual parchment says nothing either, unless it mentions it in Latin :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

What date are the repeat exams going to be held on? (Or around).

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    What date are the repeat exams going to be held on? (Or around).

August 8th-18th

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭brianclown

If you fail an exam 3 times and it's the only module that is stopping you from progressing onto the next year will the exam board look at your circumstances and allow you progress, taking into account your other results and circumstances? especially if your initial attempt result was just 2 marks short of a pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

brianclown wrote: »
    If you fail an exam 3 times and it's the only module that is stopping you from progressing onto the next year will the exam board look at your circumstances and allow you progress, taking into account your other results and circumstances? especially if your initial attempt result was just 2 marks short of a pass?

I would imagine that you should talk to the academic department that the subject is in and talk to them. I would also suggest you go to academic advisory, they are the pros in this area and would be able to best advise you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

I failed maths miserably(ie not enough to compensate)
    If I fail it again but get enought to compensate, can I pass the year if I'm dropping the subject

javagal wrote: »
    If I fail it again but get enought to compensate, can I pass the year if I'm dropping the subject
    I'm pretty sure you can. Might be best to check with the maths dept/academic advisory just to make sure though.

Also, you're seriously awesome for even thinking about repeats right now! I may have been lurking on the pregnancy forum recently (:o), and I believe congrats are in order :)

javagal wrote: »

If you're dropping the subject, I believe you only need 35% to "pass".

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Fry8290

Can someone tell me what the situation is with student doing arts through St Pat's?

I'm in first year and failed two in theology, but passed both my arts subjects.

If I fail in the repeats, would I be able to transfer to NUIM exclusively and drop theology, keeping on the arts subject I wouldve had to drop anyway?

Fry8290 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me what the situation is with student doing arts through St Pat's?

I'm in first year and failed two in theology, but passed both my arts subjects.

If I fail in the repeats, would I be able to transfer to NUIM exclusively and drop theology, keeping on the arts subject I wouldve had to drop anyway?
    You have to pass all your modules to be able to enter second year, regardless of whether you're keeping on the subject you've failed or not. I'm not sure if St Pat's allow students to pass by compensation, so it might be best to get in touch with the college to work out what you can do. Good luck with the repeats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

Seren_ wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure you can. Might be best to check with the maths dept/academic advisory just to make sure though.

Also, you're seriously awesome for even thinking about repeats right now! I may have been lurking on the pregnancy forum recently (:o), and I believe congrats are in order :)

Had a bit of a difficult year with it all but I thinkI should be fine for getting past the repeats

• Registered Users Posts: 1 que?

I passed maths by compensation but didn't get the minimum requirement (40%) needed to do it in 2nd year, so I have to do the repeat exam. If I fail the repeat, can I transfer into a related course that doesn't require maths in 2nd year, if there's places available? (Really don't want to repeat the year).

I'm in General Science btw.

• Advertisement
Advertisement