Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Nissan Almera won't start

Options
  • 01-05-2012 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭

Hi Guys, just looking for a bit of advice to give some idea of what kind of problem i'm experiencing and the potential cost of repairing it.

Firstly, my car wont start.. simple as, no turn over no catching of start motor nothing.. new battery so lights and radio DO turn on.
    This has been happening for the last few days, and the car would eventually start after i left it for a bit. but today finally its dead altogether.

On the display i'm getting a warning light, (a car shape with a key) and according to the manual this is the immobiliser.

So my question is, do i have to take it to a garage to be check? fixed?
    and if so, any idea of the cost?

Many thanks for any and all advice

Ps: is Nissan Doctor still around these parts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

When you switch the ignition on without trying to start, does the light stay on or does it flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Shane Fitz

stays on..
    you mean when all other light eg battery, oil etc.. then yup it stays on

• Registered Users Posts: 81,699 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looks like an immobilizer issue, have you a 2nd key you could try?

yup, tried both.. replaced batteries in them too

• Registered Users Posts: 81,699 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think it could be a back to the dealer job. One other thing to try if not done already is disconnect the battery in the engine for 10 minutes and reconnect, possibly might reset something.

• Advertisement

The immobiliser light usually flashes if there is a problem with immobiliser in most cars. Although from what you describe it would seem to be the immob alright. My wife drives a 2006 almera, and I just looked at it now. With the ignition on, the light stays out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

The immobiliser is one possibility but the Body Control Module(BCM) can fail on them too which will give the same symptoms. They are in the region of €400 to replace.

so back to a main dealer to check??

No reason to need a dealer IMO. Any competent mechanic should be able to sort it.

What year/model Almera is it? I presumed N16, not sure why.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭largepants

OP I had a similar problem with mine recently. I know nothing about cars but I did google something and eventually found it was some safety issue with the almera. My car has worked perfectly since. If I happen to come across it I'll let you know.

If its the same prob;em as mine its not a huge issue.

• Advertisement

No reason to need a dealer IMO. Any competent mechanic should be able to sort it.

What year/model Almera is it? I presumed N16, not sure why.

beyond saying it is a 03 Tenka, i dont know

Shane Fitz wrote: »
    beyond saying it is a 03 Tenka, i dont know

N16 1.5 or 1.8 so..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Sounds more like the starter solenoid is totally knackered, tiddly one on an Almera, get a new starter, or get the one you have overhauled. Cross the starter terminals with an insulated screwdriver and if it starts or attempts to start, which it should, get a shinier starter.

Pottler wrote: »
    Sounds more like the starter solenoid is totally knackered, tiddly one on an Almera, get a new starter, or get the one you have overhauled. Cross the starter terminals with an insulated screwdriver and if it starts or attempts to start, which it should, get a shinier starter.
    and that would cause the immobiliser warning light to come on??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

No, but it would make starting it harder. FFS, this is free, what do you expect, perfection?:D Would the immobiliser lights/other dash lights not be on anyway with the ignition turned on but the engine not running?

Pottler wrote: »
    No, but it would make starting it harder. FFS, this is free, what do you expect, perfection?:D Would the immobiliser lights/other dash lights not be on anyway with the ignition turned on but the engine not running?

As I posted earlier, On our one, when ignition is switched on the immob light goes off.

Advertisement