Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
30-04-2012, 22:04   #1
dubdub123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 255
DCU Access form - what additonal details?

My daughter is applying for the Access programme in DCU and we've just been looking through the application form and there's a section for additional details.

Does anyone know what type of information they are looking for? We live in a small town in the west of Ireland. Myself and husband are separated and there's much younger children at home. Are they looking for info regarding our personal situation/financial situation/ why choosing DCU?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
dubdub123 is offline  
Advertisement
02-05-2012, 13:41   #2
SB69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Leitrim
Posts: 15
That part is generally the most personal and important part..

You give the reasons why your daughter should be on access.. Everybody has different reasons!

Like if you want the access scholarship because you need the money, then you give the reasons why you need the money. e.g. We're finding it difficult to cope financially as my dad has recently been laid off, etc. You can also give other reasons e.g. you are very hardworking, dedicated etc.

You really need a valid reason for getting the grant.. like saying you need the money isn't enough, because there are a lot of people in the country who can't go to college right now due to their financial circumstances! So why should your daughter get the grant over anyone else, is the question you should be asking yourself?
SB69 is offline  
02-05-2012, 22:46   #3
dubdub123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 255
HI, thanks for that. Myself and her dad separated a couple of years ago, and it's caused huge financial strain for us so will get her to mention that. Should she also include reasons why she would be a good candidate? Say clubs she's been involved in, her interests and so on?

Do you happen to know whether they let students know prior to CAO cutoff if there've been accepted on the Access programme? I'm not clear at what point they decide about the subsidized accommodation - do you have to have an offer from DCU through the CAO first and then be considered?

Any additional pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much : )
dubdub123 is offline  
03-05-2012, 21:17   #4
SB69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Leitrim
Posts: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdub123 View Post
HI, thanks for that. Myself and her dad separated a couple of years ago, and it's caused huge financial strain for us so will get her to mention that. Should she also include reasons why she would be a good candidate? Say clubs she's been involved in, her interests and so on?

Do you happen to know whether they let students know prior to CAO cutoff if there've been accepted on the Access programme? I'm not clear at what point they decide about the subsidized accommodation - do you have to have an offer from DCU through the CAO first and then be considered?

Any additional pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much : )
Yeah she should say as much as she can, and not to go over the word count!

Don't include too many interests, just interests that would benefit her perhaps. I applied two years ago, i'm in second year now and I only gave the reasons why I thought I should get it. I talked about personal problems at home etc.

I was called by the access service a week before I started the leaving cert to see how I thought i'd get on and how I was feeling.. I think they told me that i'd be elligible for the scheme but it depended on how I performed in the LC.. e.g. if I didn't get enough points, I'd still get my course but not subsidised accommodation.. I got a letter from them on the 2 July 2010 saying that I was eligible for the scheme but naturally it didn't say whether I got subsidised accom or not because, as said before, that depended on my LC results which I didn't get until mid-august.. Once students find out they're eligible, they will come up to DCU for 4 days at the end of august/beginning of september and take part in an induction programme, which gets you used to the course/college.. so its pretty handy! Any other q's just ask!
SB69 is offline  
04-06-2012, 23:21   #5
dubdub123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 255
Hey, Thanks for all the feedback on this : )

The forms have been sent in a few weeks back and I was wondering if anyone has heard anything back from DCU ? I emailed to confirm they'd received everything but haven't received confirmation as yet but might give them a call.
dubdub123 is offline  
Advertisement
04-06-2012, 23:41   #6
cairdre
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: wouldn't you like to know
Posts: 65
Hi

The scheme has now closed for 2012. You will not hear back from DCU until the end of the month. The forms are processed and letter sent out once the LC is over. They will not give out information before then as they do not want to distract student during this important time.
cairdre is offline  
30-06-2012, 04:14   #7
dubdub123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 255
Hey guys, thanks so much for the feedback on this over the past few months. My daughter received a letter today to indicate that she's been accepted on the program, on either reduced points or assistance towards accommodation, so that is good news.

I do have a query which I was hoping someone could help me with over the w/e. If my daughter is offered a place at DCU based on her points (not reduced points), is she now guaranteed subsidised accommodation? Or will it all depend on how many students on the scheme get in on their own points? It would be really great to know this as I know she's stuck between DCU communications and Maynooth's media study course and cost is a factor. If she knew whether she had some subsidy towards accommodation in DCU I know she would go with that .

I would appreciate any help with this. I am so stressed thinking about costs of college and how we are going to get to manage this and with no one to run things by it's quite stressful. If anyone is aware what way this works I'd really appreciate it ! thanks
dubdub123 is offline  
30-06-2012, 18:48   #8
sonas93
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdub123 View Post
Hey guys, thanks so much for the feedback on this over the past few months. My daughter received a letter today to indicate that she's been accepted on the program, on either reduced points or assistance towards accommodation, so that is good news.

I do have a query which I was hoping someone could help me with over the w/e. If my daughter is offered a place at DCU based on her points (not reduced points), is she now guaranteed subsidised accommodation? Or will it all depend on how many students on the scheme get in on their own points? It would be really great to know this as I know she's stuck between DCU communications and Maynooth's media study course and cost is a factor. If she knew whether she had some subsidy towards accommodation in DCU I know she would go with that .

I would appreciate any help with this. I am so stressed thinking about costs of college and how we are going to get to manage this and with no one to run things by it's quite stressful. If anyone is aware what way this works I'd really appreciate it ! thanks
Hi i'm kinda in the same boat, I was told by dcu that nobody's guaranteed the subsidised accommodation and it say's on the letter I got its merit based so maybe it depends on how well you do in the leaving cert or how high above the required points you got, and the people who put subsidised accommodation as a preference on the access forms get priority over the people who just happened to get their points. It also has to do with how far away from dcu you live and other factors so nothing guarenteed

Last edited by sonas93; 30-06-2012 at 18:50.
sonas93 is offline  
01-07-2012, 00:00   #9
dubdub123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 255
When my daughter filled in that form, I think she just ticked both as she didn't want to be excluded from either option. I suppose it all depends how the CAO offers shake out, and how many access students get in without using reduced points. I don't think there's a huge amount of subsidised accommodation however. I think there was two spots fully subsidised and two partially subsidised. All a waiting game now.. Best of luck with it all.
dubdub123 is offline  
Advertisement
01-07-2012, 14:53   #10
Cardor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 211
Hey, I received the 100% subsidised accommodation this year. There are 5 100% subsidised places and 5 50% subsidised places. If your daughter does not meet the points requirement, she will get offered her place on reduced points (depending on how many points she is short, also depending on the popularity of the course) and receive a €1000 scholarship each year for the duration of her course.

If your daughter does meet the points requirement, once she is eligible for the subsidised accommodation, she should receive it. I met the points requirement, so that's how I got the subsidised accomodation, but just because you meet the points requirement, doesn't mean you are automatically eligible for subsidised accommodation, as those, who most need it, are usually given priority.

Also, if you're financially unable to pay for college, you should apply to the student assistance fund. I have a friend who received 800 from that last year, another who receive 600 and myself who received 400. These were only for semester one, so if you are in a bad position again in semester 2, you can quite easily apply again.
Cardor is offline  
02-07-2012, 21:46   #11
dubdub123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 255
Cardor, thanks for that info. She is really hoping she gets offered her course on points. Will definitely tell her about the student assistance fund as well once we know where she stands. Well done on getting the subsidised accommodation. If she got that it would make an enormous difference as I really don't know how she is going to cover all other outgoings after rent is paid realistically unless she is lucky enough to get a job.Thanks again for that
dubdub123 is offline  
13-08-2012, 22:19   #12
dubdub123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 255
Hi, was looking for some additional info about the subsidised accommodation and just thought I'd check back on here. Do you know if the offer of subsidised accommodation comes out the same time as the other offers? If my daughter gets an offer of accommodation we won't be in a position to accept if she's to pay the full costs, but if it's subsidised we will. Does anyone know if it's just one offer and we'll know at the time? We don't want to accept an offer and then miss out if she does get the subsidy.. I am very stressed now : (
dubdub123 is offline  
17-08-2012, 22:37   #13
Creidim
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdub123 View Post
My daughter is applying for the Access programme in DCU
What's the Access programme? Am I missing something?
Creidim is offline  
19-08-2012, 14:28   #14
Cardor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubdub123 View Post
Hi, was looking for some additional info about the subsidised accommodation and just thought I'd check back on here. Do you know if the offer of subsidised accommodation comes out the same time as the other offers? If my daughter gets an offer of accommodation we won't be in a position to accept if she's to pay the full costs, but if it's subsidised we will. Does anyone know if it's just one offer and we'll know at the time? We don't want to accept an offer and then miss out if she does get the subsidy.. I am very stressed now : (
Hey your daughter should be told this week whether she has the subsidised accom or not. The offers have to be sent out as soon as she accepts her place, they won't let you know until they're sure that your daughter is going to DCU. I found out the day after offers, so Tuesday! Some people find out before and some after. I'd say people who are on subsidised accom will find out first! You will have to pay for your room around the end of August or beginning of september otherwise!
Cardor is offline  
19-08-2012, 15:29   #15
dubdub123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 255
Great, thanks so much for that : ) This is going to be some week..
dubdub123 is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet