Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTB Android Tab under 400e

Options
  • 27-04-2012 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭

So I've decided to treat myself to a tablet but imo they are largely quite over priced.

So I can't justify paying much more than 400 to myself. From what I can see with a lot of tabs, seems a lot of the price is down to brand name, style and sleekness as so many of them share the same hardware.

I want performance, a 10.1 inch screen - the ability to upgrade to android 4.0, USB and HDMI support.

I've had my eye on the xoom for awhile now and finally decided to buy one as I've noticed them in town for the 350-380 range.
    But its sold out everywhere despite many shops showing them on display :( Cept for one O2 shop which the guy was trying to sell it to me for 450.....
    When I go online however I see such vast differences in the price of tablets its highly confusing. Obviously the most popular tab seems to the samsung 10.1 tab.
    Yet between town and online I'm seeing this priced anywhere from 450-680... WTF!?!?
    Such inconsistency..:confused:

The Toshiba Thrive is another one I have my eye on due to its full sized ports.

Can anyone point me in a good direction for buying tablets at a decent price either online or in Dublin?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Sisko wrote: »
    So I've decided to treat myself to a tablet but imo they are largely quite over priced.

So I can't justify paying much more than 400 to myself. From what I can see with a lot of tabs, seems a lot of the price is down to brand name, style and sleekness as so many of them share the same hardware.

I want performance, a 10.1 inch screen - the ability to upgrade to android 4.0, USB and HDMI support.

I've had my eye on the xoom for awhile now and finally decided to buy one as I've noticed them in town for the 350-380 range.
    But its sold out everywhere despite many shops showing them on display :( Cept for one O2 shop which the guy was trying to sell it to me for 450.....
    When I go online however I see such vast differences in the price of tablets its highly confusing. Obviously the most popular tab seems to the samsung 10.1 tab.
    Yet between town and online I'm seeing this priced anywhere from 450-680... WTF!?!?

Can anyone point me in a good direction for buying tablets at a decent price either online or in Dublin?

Cheers!

http://m.ebuyer.com/344245
    Scroll Extreme is a portable, capacitive touch-screen AndroidTM 4.0 tablet. With its large 9.7”, highly responsive screen, powerful hardware and stylish, slim design, the Scroll Extreme is a perfect companion for internet browsing, games, videos and host of other applications. At the Scroll Extreme’s heart is a capable A10 Cortex A8 1.2GHz processor with Mali-400 dual core graphics processing, 1GB RAM, 8GB of memory and a powerful 7800mAH battery -6hrs. Whether it’s rich Flash based content, 3D games or support for major video and ebook formats that you want, Scroll Extreme offers this and more.

Scroll Extreme is also a powerful media player; plug it into your 3D or HD TV or monitor (via a high-speed HDMI cable) and you can watch 3D videos and 1080p HD content from your Scroll Extreme on your big screen. If you’re on the move then the 1024 x 768 resolution screen is perfect for watching video on the Scroll Extreme itself.

€233 or thereabouts!!!

Cheers!

[URL] http://m.ebuyer.com/344245[/URL]
    Scroll Extreme is a portable, capacitive touch-screen AndroidTM 4.0 tablet. With its large 9.7”, highly responsive screen, powerful hardware and stylish, slim design, the Scroll Extreme is a perfect companion for internet browsing, games, videos and host of other applications. At the Scroll Extreme’s heart is a capable A10 Cortex A8 1.2GHz processor with Mali-400 dual core graphics processing, 1GB RAM, 8GB of memory and a powerful 7800mAH battery -6hrs. Whether it’s rich Flash based content, 3D games or support for major video and ebook formats that you want, Scroll Extreme offers this and more.

Scroll Extreme is also a powerful media player; plug it into your 3D or HD TV or monitor (via a high-speed HDMI cable) and you can watch 3D videos and 1080p HD content from your Scroll Extreme on your big screen. If you’re on the move then the 1024 x 768 resolution screen is perfect for watching video on the Scroll Extreme itself.

€233 or thereabouts!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Wow a tegra 3? Looks good and all but I'm not seeing it anywhere for 400 or under , where's a good place to buy tablets?
    http://m.ebuyer.com/344245

€233 or thereabouts!!!

Really looking at the 10.1 tegra 2 tablets but thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

€233 or thereabouts!!!

That is an epic tablet for the price! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Op

For a few Euros more get yourself a proper tablet, you won't regret it.

If you have 400 yoyos to play with my first and only choice would be the Acer 510.

€233 or thereabouts!!!

That is an epic tablet for the price! Thanks

Sure is. I think some ppl are missing the point actually...

Just cos something in manufactured in China...does not make it any less a powerful device...or "not proper"....

I know.

I have used cheap and cheerful Android ZTE devices, like the Blade/San Frsncisco....pure China but also AOSP.....with no bloat or branding, once flashed.....just check out Modaco for the ZTE communities there.

No one could say that an Android tablet with ICS, 4 or 8GB on board, multiple USB and HDMI, even 3G dongle upport, 1.2GHz multi core Processor, 1GB RAM.....is not proper, surely.....

Oh and these can be bought for sub-€200 from Ali Baba China including delivery.... perhaps €20/30 Customs Duty.....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'd be straight in there to get an Iconia A510 if I had 400 to spare. It's basically a Prime without the overpriced keyboard so no matter how hard you try you will not find a better machine (at least for a few weeks :D)

Hmm not so sure, any suggestions on a good place to buy one?

Not so comfortable breaking the 400e mark. I need some good reasons :D (open to hear some)

This'll be my first tablet so, I dunno how much use it'll get. If I was still in college I know I'd use it constantly, but I'm not.

Tegra 3 is tempting, but thats the tech/gadget nerd in me talking. Again dunno how much I'll use the tablet.

I'm seeing the Samsung 8.9 for cheap. Its not 10.1, and takes no SD card either... but its still got HDMI out and USB though you need a dongle for it.

I'm tempted. Anyone got any opinions on these?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭mossie

I have the 510 and it's fantastic. €399 so just under your budget but well worth it.

• Advertisement

Where oh where did you get it for that price though?? :confused::confused:

That's the RRP, don't buy it from chancers on Amazon market or eBay.

I don't understand the fascination with HDMI ports. I've never had any inclination to use the one on mine.

Could be at a session in a friends house, wanna slap on a youtube video onto the big screen or some such other media and might not be arsed getting a pc or a laptop going.

That's just one example, simply love the idea of having a mobile internet device that can easily connect to a TV. :D My laptop is pre-hdmi era.

Can you recommend any site to buy a tablet from so? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Could be at a session in a friends house, wanna slap on a youtube video onto the big screen or some such other media and might not be arsed getting a pc or a laptop going.

That's just one example, simply love the idea of having a mobile internet device that can easily connect to a TV. :D My laptop is pre-hdmi era.

Can you recommend any site to buy a tablet from so? :)

They have this one on Komplett for €399 delivered Asus Eee Pad transformer

I was checking out reviews and it looks very nice indeed for the price. Thinking of going for one myself.

Interesting!

Must look at reviews between the acer 510 and this so.

Damn you guys tempting me, someone convince me to get the Samsung 8.9 :P

Interesting!

Must look at reviews between the acer 510 and this so.

Damn you guys tempting me, someone convince me to get the Samsung 8.9 :P

The Asus has pretty good reviews across the board as far as i can see. The only difference between it and a Transformer Prime is that the screen isn't quite as bright and it's plastic rather than aluminium.

PC Mag review

Android Community review

Toms hardware review

Anandtech review

Here's a direct comaparison video of the Acer and the Asus

Here

Here's another review of the Asus Eee Pad, really in depth this time.

Ubergizmo

The Original transformer, like most of the tablets of that generation, can't play high-def videos properly, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭mossie

Where oh where did you get it for that price though?? :confused::confused:

I actually got it an Pixmania but I see they are now charging €429!!

• Advertisement

The Acer is 650 on one of the big French retailers websites! Absolutely ridiculous. Acer's naming convention is really confusing.

Edit: actually seems to be an older model with a dual-core processor. Better still.

Pixmania seem to be using third-party sellers. They have it for €768 on their .fr site

They have this one on Komplett for €399 delivered Asus Eee Pad transformer

I was checking out reviews and it looks very nice indeed for the price. Thinking of going for one myself.

You have me convinced but unfortunately komplett has problems taking orders.

I don't suppose you know any other site that has it for that price? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Doesn't seem to be available anywhere else yet. What is wrong with Komplett, I ordered on the other day... :/

Yeah, what's wrong with them?

They seem to have it twice on the site too, one is out of stock and the other is in stock. Pretty strange!

Yeah, what's wrong with them?

They seem to have it twice on the site too, one is out of stock and the other is in stock. Pretty strange!

The other ones on the site are the different colours. Navy is available from early May then the others are being launched in June and July.

The site just would not take my order but it eventually worked. So its on the way now :)

399e and no delivery charge to technically.... this thread worked...

<_<

>_>

:o

Thanks again guys.

**edit**

guess I should start looking for accessories now :D

The site just would not take my order but it eventually worked. So its on the way now :)

399e and no delivery charge to technically.... this thread worked...

:o

Thanks again guys.

guess I should start looking for accessories now :D

If you find anywhere stocking 300 accessories let us know. Seemingly some of the TF101 accessories aren't compatible with the 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Hello Everyone.

Komplett have the Asus down as Asus 10" Eee Pad Transformer Lite -TF300T - 32GB.

What does the Lite part mean ?

Thanks.

amdaley28 wrote: »
    Hello Everyone.

Komplett have the Asus down as Asus 10" Eee Pad Transformer Lite -TF300T - 32GB.

What does the Lite part mean ?

Thanks.

That isn't the official name but it is essential a Transformer Prime "Lite". It still has the most important specs; a Tegra 3 and 1GB of RAM but looses the LED flash on rear camera, alluminium rear plate and the Super IPS display (600nits down to 350nits).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭amdaley28

Stevek101 wrote: »
    That isn't the official name but it is essential a Transformer Prime "Lite". It still has the most important specs; a Tegra 3 and 1GB of RAM but looses the LED flash on rear camera, alluminium rear plate and the Super IPS display (600nits down to 350nits).

Thanks for the info. I have been looking to get a tab for about €400 & have found this thread very interesting. I have narrowed it down to 3 at this stage.

Asus Transformer Pad TF300. 32Gb / Komplett €399.
    Sony S Tablet. Peats €360 / 16Gb. €490 / 32Gb.
    Acer Iconia A510. Pixmania €429 / 32Gb.

I'm similar to the OP in what I am looking for from a Tablet. From the reviews & what I have read I fancy the Acer.
    Pixmania €429
    Expansys Pre Order / No Price

Haven't found any other stockist or better prices.

Advertisement