Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone else not play online at all?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,977 ✭✭✭wyrn

I love gaming but I have to (anonymously) admit I am totally and utterly crap at it. I get very frustrated when I get stuck, that makes it worse because I've built up some mental block and then I give up. Also, I am one of those OCD gamers that has to check out every single corner and break every box I see. It pains me to miss a box. I hate checking on Steam to see I have played 8 hours in one day. Attack of the guilts.

Then when I get to MP, it's terrible. I'm really crap and uncoordinated. It's ok playing with friends, but with strangers... ugh.

I hate the fact that ME3 is making me use MP to get the "better ending". Not only that but the fact because I played them all on PC, I have no Origin friends. I'm having serious issues connecting to a server on ME3. There's no errors, just won't connect. This annoys me more than the ending(s).

So give me single player any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Kinski wrote: »
    My online gaming experience: Halo 3, for about a week. Almost every single match involved being killed again and again and again by one player who was clearly far better than the rest of us, and obviously knew the maps like the back of his/her hand. On the rare occasions that I got a game with similarly-skilled players, it was a blast, but it just didn't happen often enough. So that was that.

If a game doesn't focus on creating a satisfying and lengthy single-player campaign, then I ain't interested.

Though I never heard any foul-mouthed stuff on chat...because I didn't really hear any chat. I could tell people had mics on, but mostly all I ever heard were barely-audible mutterings.

That is definitely a better reason not to play multiplayer. Sometimes the skill difference and learning curve can be huge. Matchmaking on a lot of games is horrible imo, but it is getting better.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,003 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I prefer a good single player game

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

Not much into it. Just CoD/BF3. I've never played an MMO, but wouldn't be against trying one. I do like my single player experience, but multi is not so bad.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I've tried CoD and just ended up getting killed repeatedly. That said, Resi 5 co-op is a lot of fun and Dark Souls' multiplayer is an amazing experience.
    I ultimately prefer single player and I hope companies will still try and focus on providing a good single-player experience instead of following the easier multiplayer route.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

Only played once online and that was getting destroyed in one of the Halo games can't remember which now....

Much prefer single player games

Although i've just bought Trials Evo and I'm getting quite hooked on it..I'm playing with my sons atm...so I might try the multiplayer of this but I'll probably be way out of my depth...

We shall see....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Never play online either, I probably would now and again but only have an xbox so can't justify the cost when it'd only be once or twice a month

Agree with what EnterNow said, I just don't see the point of playing things like COD where you just aimlessly run around and kill/die then rinse and repeat for hours. The main reason I play games is to get immersed in an interesting experience and to work towards a goal, online deathmatch type stuff (to me at least) is just mindless crap. I can enjoy local multiplayer games but that's different where the enjoyment is more in just having a bit of banter while playing the game

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd much rather a singleplayer game I can enjoy. I kept coming away from multiplayer games feeling I'd achieved nothing and couldn't devote so much time to a single game, there's far too much other stuff and games to play. That's why I stopped. I don't mind playing with mates in the same room and having a laugh but with online randomers? I just get nothing from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Prefer a good immersive SP game too. Don't bother with any of the big hitters for online gaming. You need to put in the time to be able to compete at any level, I don't and have no inclination to, so I keep getting shot in the face endlessly. This doesnt make we want to stick with it.
    I do enjoy L4D2 though, its a different beast and I reckon I like it because it mimics the linear / chaptered approach of a SP game, plus you don't die every 3 seconds!
    Also enjoyed new takes on MP, like the Assassin's Creed angle of having to kill a target while making sure you don't get killed yourself. That was new and enjoyable while it lasted.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I kept coming away from multiplayer games feeling I'd achieved nothing and couldn't devote so much time to a single game, there's far too much other stuff and games to play. That's why I stopped.

This is another thing I find. You can fall into the "Will I sit down and devote a few hours to improving my character in this big RPG, or will I just have a blast on.....*MP game* "
    What happens then is the other games start mounting up and not getting completed. First world problems but still....!

Advertisement