Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

27-04-2012, 12:30   #16
Myrddin
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiminay View Post
I think you need to shift your way of thinking for multi-player and think of it more like having a kick-about with a football - there's nothing more to it than just doing it cause you enjoy kicking ball with friends for an hour. Multi-player gaming is the competitive "sport" side of computer gaming, different animal to single player. Not everyone's cuppa tea though, I'd never suggest that everyone has to play multi-player, but it's there to cater to a different sort of market.
Agreed, it just doesn't appeal to me, so I don't/rarely do it
Advertisement
27-04-2012, 12:55   #17
Canis Lupus

Two very different game experiences really. I like. I'm happy to sit down to a Mass Effect game and play it for hours and I'm just as happy jumping into a game of TF2 etc online.

My only wish was that online games producers could work in a way that when someone says something along the lines of "f*cking noob" a portal would open and you could punch said person in the face.... and then burn their house down....
(3) thanks from:
27-04-2012, 13:21   #18
Magill

Only a few MP games are mindless "drivel" (CoD and BF spring to mind)... most require far more concentration and skill than any SP game, some people enjoy that challenge.. some don't.

Personally, i used to only play MP games, but over the last 3 or 4 years i've had less time on my hands and have played a lot more SP games.
27-04-2012, 13:33   #19
Myrddin
Category Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magill View Post
Only a few MP games are mindless "drivel" (CoD and BF spring to mind)...
Yeah, unfair of me to lump them all in one pot. CoD sprung to mind instantly when thinking of MP. I'm sure some are rewarding in their own right, & there is accomplishment in them.

Quote:
most require far more concentration and skill than any SP game, some people enjoy that challenge.. some don't.
That may be, but for me, I still prefer 'a story' to be told.
27-04-2012, 13:37   #20
Retr0gamer

Used to play a lot online on the PC back in the late nineties. Got bored of it and now the only time I venture online is with Minecraft or Dark Souls. It just bores me now and all those tweens that getting inflated egos from being good at it grate after a while.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-04-2012, 13:50   #21
Notorious

I'd be fifty-fifty with online and single player gaming. These days I find myself playing more offline because I've such a massive back catalog of games to get through, but I'll always give the online side of any game a try. I always find myself going back to playing Battlefield 3 to blow off some steam online or maybe a few games of FIFA or Left4Dead if I can get a few friends to join in.

Games like Battlefield, or COD (which I no longer play), are much better online than their single player equilivants in my opinion. When it comes to single player I love a solid story driven game like Fallout, Batman or Mass Effect. I prefer playing a huge RPG, but sometimes nothing beats a fast paced online challenge.
27-04-2012, 14:20   #22
penev10

I too got sucked into Quake 3 on the Dreamcast! Probably my favourite online experience to date.

I think it's down to the people you play with, back then anyone who was online on a DC was a 20 something geek and there was almost always a good atmosphere. Now, as mentioned by Retr0, the majority are young boys and a culture of disrepectful behaviour has developed and sadly become the norm (Americanised "trash-talking" seems to be the only form of communication!).

I have on occasion found some like-minded people to play with and you can then appreciate what online mulitplayer is about. Unfortunately synchronising what game and time is usually a chore with so few of us about.
27-04-2012, 15:02   #23
5uspect

I'd say I'm 50-50 too. I never touch MP on the xbox though /shudder.
I play a good bit of BF3 with a few regulars over on the Craggy Island server and it's good craic with Teamspeak. Since moving over to the UK I've found it easy to catch up with friends back home with games of Magicka, TF2 and L4D2.

I also have a sizable steam singleplayer backlog to work through.
27-04-2012, 15:14   #24
Retr0gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by penev10 View Post
Now, as mentioned by Retr0, the majority are young boys and a culture of disrepectful behaviour has developed and sadly become the norm (Americanised "trash-talking" seems to be the only form of communication!).
Always been like that, only thing different is that everyone and their dog now has a mic to vent.
Advertisement
27-04-2012, 15:50   #25
CastorTroy

Yeah was more awkward to open the onscreen console and type the insults when you could just play
27-04-2012, 15:53   #26
penev10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retr0gamer View Post
Always been like that, only thing different is that everyone and their dog now has a mic to vent.
That's the best thing about Dark Souls MP - no voice chat!
27-04-2012, 16:25   #27
Magill

Most people don't use voice chat on PC tho... at least not ingame voice chat. People typically play with friends on vent/mumble or teamspeak. And even if you do come across a rager or kid on the mic, just mute them, takes about 2 seconds. Even if its the entire lobby on xbox/ps3.. one quick swoop and everyone is muted for the entire game, heck im pretty sure you can just disable to voice chat on both consoles.

I get that a lot of people have just no interest in MP, but the whole "MP is full of whingy teens and arseholes" is just a nonsensical complaint when its so easy to ignore other players and just play with friends (Unless you have no friends... like me ).
27-04-2012, 16:36   #28
penev10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magill View Post
Most people don't use voice chat on PC tho... at least not ingame voice chat. People typically play with friends on vent/mumble or teamspeak. And even if you do come across a rager or kid on the mic, just mute them, takes about 2 seconds. Even if its the entire lobby on xbox/ps3.. one quick swoop and everyone is muted for the entire game, heck im pretty sure you can just disable to voice chat on both consoles.

I get that a lot of people have just no interest in MP, but the whole "MP is full of whingy teens and arseholes" is just a nonsensical complaint when its so easy to ignore other players and just play with friends (Unless you have no friends... like me ).
Good point, you can disable voice chat easily but surely your missing something then. One of the best things about online MP is being able to communicate with others to formulate strategy, synchronize actions etc. It's just a shame one rarely gets the opportunity amongst the white-nise of "fa&&ot" this and "your mom" that.
27-04-2012, 16:43   #29
Kinski
Closed Account

My online gaming experience: Halo 3, for about a week. Almost every single match involved being killed again and again and again by one player who was clearly far better than the rest of us, and obviously knew the maps like the back of his/her hand. On the rare occasions that I got a game with similarly-skilled players, it was a blast, but it just didn't happen often enough. So that was that.

If a game doesn't focus on creating a satisfying and lengthy single-player campaign, then I ain't interested.

Though I never heard any foul-mouthed stuff on chat...because I didn't really hear any chat. I could tell people had mics on, but mostly all I ever heard were barely-audible mutterings.
27-04-2012, 16:46   #30
bradknowell

I dont play online as much as I used to. Sometimes Ill pull an all nighter and go mad online playing but the single player storylines in some of the games Im playing at the moment are just so good, I dont need multiplayer. That and the american teenagers online can be extremely squeaky and annoying.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion