Gah - I hate the attitude some people have sometimes.
When my friend got married a few years ago, I knew she and her husband never wanted kids and TBH, I didn't care, it never occurred to me that it was any of my business. She brought it up with me, I never asked.
She openly told me that from the day she got married she was plagued with people pretty much demanding she started trying for a baby - a friend of hers even handed her her baby and announced "oh, look at your husbands face - how could you do that to him, he wants to be a daddy!"
This was a girl in her early 30's - I'd nearly understand an elderly person doing it - disgusting behaviour.
My friend warned me when I got engaged that it would happen to me too - and I didn't believe her that it was as bad as she said. I just assumed the other girl who tried to guilt her was a once off lunatic!
Now, We actually do want kids - but we can't afford to at the moment. So we made the decision to hold off until (or if) we were a bit more stable financially.
I have to say FROM THE VERY DAY we came back from our honeymoon we have been plagued by random people, grandparents and neighbours about when are we starting. It's gotten ridiculous.
1) People have announced to others that we are pregnant and sent over gifts.
2) A friend of ours not only demanded we start trying and were foolish to hold off - she demanded that we were selfish to plan on having only the one child!
3) Our neighbour actually gave out to us - I mean like we were bold kiddies - that we need to get a move on and that we were selfish - SELFISH - for leaving it so late! (I'm 30 - very old
4) My mother drags me into mother care every chance she gets.
5) My mother in law has a wardrobe full of stuff ready for our babys arrival and shows it to us every time we visit.
6) Another friend actually sits sadly rubbing her big pregnant belly and says how sad it is that her baby won't have a friend to play with...then she sighs.
7) I can't say I'm feeling sick or tired without someone in my family producing a pregnancy test and telling me to just check, just in case!
It's unbelievable how insensitive people are when it comes to people and their demands on others reproductive cycles! It's insane pressure to be putting on anyone - for all my friends and family know I could be trying and having losses or problems. They don't know what we are or aren't going through.
I wish they'd just leave me alone.