Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lisa Kearney qualifies for London 2012

Options
  • 26-04-2012 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi everyone

'The Board of the Irish Judo Association would like to congratulate Lisa Kearney on her outstanding performances over the last 2 years to earn a qualifying place in the London 2012 games. Following a long and tough qualification process, Lisa & her coach Ciaran Ward have been duly rewarded with an Olympic place this summer. The Board & its' members have been wholly supportive of Lisa's campaign & are delighted that such a wonderful ambassador for the sport of judo has achieved her Olympic dream. The Association would like extend their best wishes to Lisa's parents & family who have been an immense support to Lisa over her career. The Board would like to thank the Irish Sports Council, the Olympic Council of Ireland, Sport NI, The Institute of Sport and Sports Institute Northern Ireland for the continuous support received over the last 2 years. We wish Lisa the very best for London 2012.

regards
    Deirdre
    IJA office

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Kimura

That's Brilliant, Congratulations Lisa

Such an achievement to qualify, very tough

Well done and best of luck in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Great news for Irish Judo, Well done Lisa

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭turfthrower

That really is fantastic news. Lisa is a star who has worked really hard. Anyone who does any kind of martial arts should be thrilled to see her win this opportunity.

I always like watching judo in the olympics but I'll have a special reason to get excited about it this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Barry.Oglesby

Well done to all involved. One more reason to be cheerful for this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Congratulations and well done to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭chprt

congrats lisa and all involved

paddy

www.onlinemathsgrinds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭underachieved

Congrats to lisa, her family, coaches and all involved......Grat news!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

"Congratulations" just doesn't seem to cut it when you've qualified for the Olympics. Unbelievable achievement!

...wonder what her coaches Body Mass Index is though? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭TrollHammaren

Flipping delighted to see this! Most sincere congratulations to her!

Hopefully now mainstream Irish media will actually know what Judo is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Here's a good VT interview with Lisa, her coach and physio on BBC Northern Ireland.

CLICK HERE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭nobbo

Now I'm glad I got tickets for the first day of olympic judo :D

nobbo wrote: »
    Now I'm glad I got tickets for the first day of olympic judo :D

The forum hates you now :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

I soooooooooooooo wish I was going to the Olympics now!!

Amazing achievement, great judoka and athlete, and will be great to see an Irish judoka compete in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Tim_Murphy

Unbelievable achievement, congrats to her and everybody involved.

It'll be great advertising for Judo in Ireland no doubt too.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭r_obric

Great achievement and a pity the Irish media have not picked up on it as much as the other athletes.

What are her chances of a podium finish? is anybody fimiliar with the division?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

r_obric wrote: »
    Great achievement and a pity the Irish media have not picked up on it as much as the other athletes.

Not at all familiar but one of the paper pieces said that she qualified on the basis of being 14th in the world rankings in her division (metro herald). If so then There is supposedly 11 better judokas there in her division who would have better chances than her.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭slammer187

Not at all familiar but one of the paper pieces said that she qualified on the basis of being 14th in the world rankings in her division (metro herald). If so then There is supposedly 11 better judokas there in her division who would have better chances than her.

It only means that the other competitors were better than her at the time the rankings were made.

r_obric wrote: »

Being realistic, not great. But again, anything can happen over the space of 5 fights, and hopefully Lisa can perform on the day....something she's always been good at.

...and hopefully there'll be a decent Irish support there to cheer her on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Burnt

A nice bit of exposure in that for Lisa and Judo. I notice the other girl is wearing
    a "Joshi" obi/belt, can be seen at 5s and 10s, quite unusual outside of Japan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Got tickets for the early session on the Tuesday. What weight is she? Probably 48s or 52s? Then she should be fighting on the fri or sat. Damn it! Some of the lads have tickets for those days though so at least some of us will get to see her fighting live.

Edit: yeah just checked there and she's 48s. The first day of Judo. Damn you nobbo!

Tickets should have arrived/been arriving for most people...Anyone else on here heading over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

Yeah some of tha lads who bought in the first round got there tickets last Friday. I got one ticket for the afternoon session on the Saturday (Mens 60s and Womens 48s) but I only bought it during the second round (a fortnight ago) so it will hopefully arrive soon enough. There's at least 4 of us going from Kerry.

From Lisa on FB this morning;
    dexa scan today, 5.8% body fat and some stupid amount of muscle...lean mean fighting machine!

And an Judo postage stamp from the games.

213971.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

And an Judo postage stamp from the games.

Blue needs to work on his breakfalls :D
    The picture seems to make more sense if you look at it sideways - at least then it could be newaza
    As it is that head first into the ground with legs pointing straight into the air pose just looks weird! :)

RainMaker wrote: »
    Blue needs to work on his breakfalls :D
    The picture seems to make more sense if you look at it sideways - at least then it could be newaza
    As it is that head first into the ground with legs pointing straight into the air pose just looks weird! :)

My Osoto Gari was countered last November and I came down like that!.

I was knocked out, by someone 30'ish kgs lighter than me :o ~ perfect technique beats weight & strength.

This is well worth a read, there's also an embedded video clip of Lisa being interviewed and showing some of her training.

CLICK HERE.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭just-joe

Is it against the rules to ask where I can watch this on the internet? I do not own a television.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

just-joe wrote: »
    Is it against the rules to ask where I can watch this on the internet? I do not own a television.
    I was actually going to ask this myself.

Are RTE going to be showing it? What alternatives are there?

Also, Joe your options are probably going to be different to ours, as these things are usually restricted by country.

Advertisement