Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would like to geek...

Options
  • 24-04-2012 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Righty,

Long term lurker/first time poster on this forum and I'm writing with an agenda, I need to find some of my tribe to hang with.

Ya see I married a Douglas princess and even though the job was in Limerick, this was grand, did hubby stuff here (eat, drink, dance, be merry) and geek stuff up there (drink, game, watch footie, shout abuse at each other). But then we had our own Douglas princess and I now work at home full time...

...which means the normal wrapping of geek stuff around those you meet at work isn't an option so now the evening are getting later, the girl is sleeping longer and the beers are getting colder the wife has informed me that I need to find a way to meet those of a similar mind to me and that's where the Cork boardies come in.

Any suggestion on how, what, where, who can let me run in circles where liking (chose any two) gaming, craft beer, indie music, shiny shiny gadgets, comedy, lego deathstars, footie, lego death stars, nice grub, can't wait for Knights of badassdom, fast cars, history channel, boards.ie, big TV's, Sci-fi/Fantasy, butter museum, mutton lane is appreicated, nah, celebrated?

And in return I'll inverse the lurk/post ratio and I'll be at the next meet up.

Thanks much,

Martin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

i like to geek.!!!

mainly star wars, gaming, star wars.. and a splash of game of thrones.

also try www.reddit.com its pretty cool. search for your interests and subscribe to the pages you find.

edit: oh and beer, yes beer too.. im more discovery science with a sunday hangover.!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

You have come to a right place here, hehe:)

I find that Boards Cork meetups are great cos they are a bit geekier (in a good way, lads) than any other in da world (not that i've been to wide range of them).
    Great crowd here.

I'm suprised this thread hasn't yet had a huge geeky takeover.
    List of geek activities is good. Gaming, star wars, more gaming, moviefreakz, collecting every kind of things, more gaming, reading cool books.
    Ehhhh...at work for next so many hours...gotta wait til i can go and do my geek activities. Work is one of them too tho, isnt it?:)

Bottom line: Just turn up on some boardsies meetup. You won't regret. I havent been on one for a while myself, but i always recommend these to fellow geeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

I just would like to second the cork meetups as a place to meet loads of people. Myself and the bf go along to a few of them and we are pure geeks! Himself is the geekier one and has many of them same interests as you, craft beer, star wars, comedy, shiny shiny gadgets and nice grub to name a few. I would definitely recommend going along to one of the meetups and seeing what you think :D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Chad_Fantastics

Oh, it's good know that my kind exist in Cork, really looking forward to the next meet up now and going to check out reddit too.

Has anybody here got into Community? Not on any station that I know of this side of the pond but it's the most gloriously geeky show I've ever seen, one I watched yesterday turned 'who's going to get the pizza' into a multi-timeline plot device and included Evil Timeline where they were issued Evil Goatees...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭nursemar88

Oh, it's good know that my kind exist in Cork, really looking forward to the next meet up now and going to check out reddit too.

Has anybody here got into Community? Not on any station that I know of this side of the pond but it's the most gloriously geeky show I've ever seen, one I watched yesterday turned 'who's going to get the pizza' into a multi-timeline plot device and included Evil Timeline where they were issued Evil Goatees...
    Oh good lord myself and bf watched that episode yesterday! Community is one the of most underrated hilariously funny things I have watched in a long time. Troy and Abed are excellent characters! "Troy and abed in the moorrnninng" :D

• Advertisement

:O it shall be done.!!!

sKNdg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Welcome Chad, I'm also a blow in to the true capital and share many of your interests, including community, sci-fi, a bit of gaming, star wars, fine beers, cars and history/discovery channell. also adding that i'm a musician and waccy baccy coinesseur.

i've been meaning to go to a meet myself, and it sounds like thats the place to find more of our ilk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

:O it shall be done.!!!

Fook it!! I'm out of the country for those :(

.......and surely they should be a double-header......

Fook it!! I'm out of the country for those :(

.......and surely they should be a double-header......

yea i wouldnt mind seeing them one after another but ill take what is given to me :D

(Wasn't there a way you could thank people for posts underneath the post? Thanks everybody for getting involved!!!)

So there certainly seems to be a subset to meet up at the next meet up, I'm not brave enough to organise my first meet up but there's deffo a list of things we could tie some cool meet ups around.

Saw the new Batman trailer yesterday, looks bloody brilliant and thank your prefered object of worship they've gone for a less than obvious villain(to the public) in this one.

And I'll throw in some controversial for free... Take Ledger's performance away from the last movie and it was very weak compared to the first. And while Bale is a good batman, I think he's pants as Bruce Wyane...

(runs and hides)

• Advertisement

Oh look, a thanks button!!!!

I'll get my geek coat!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I recently found graffiti about Zalgo, He Who Waits Behind The Wall on the wall of an alley somewhere near Washington st. I don't think there's going to be any shortage of geeks in Cork for the foreseeable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I'd say it would be easier to find people who don't share your interests.
    Are we all geeks on boards?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

(Wasn't there a way you could thank people for posts underneath the post? Thanks everybody for getting involved!!!)

So there certainly seems to be a subset to meet up at the next meet up, I'm not brave enough to organise my first meet up but there's deffo a list of things we could tie some cool meet ups around.

Saw the new Batman trailer yesterday, looks bloody brilliant and thank your prefered object of worship they've gone for a less than obvious villain(to the public) in this one.

And I'll throw in some controversial for free... Take Ledger's performance away from the last movie and it was very weak compared to the first. And while Bale is a good batman, I think he's pants as Bruce Wyane...

(runs and hides)

When ledger died i said that possibly the only other actor that could do the joker as well as heath was joseph gordon levitt.

....now i think he could manage the cowl and cape if bale is hanging it up...

Yeah, I've been a huge fan of him since Brick, great in Inception and seeing him in the trailer kicked it up for me.

As for Zalgo, I'll be running around Washinton street next time I'm in town looking for my new desktop wallpaper!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Seeing as there are many self-professed geeks here. A new gaming club has opened up in Cork.

A couple of guys wanted to grow their gaming circle, and with a lack of space in their front room decided to open a club. They've rented a space on McCurtain St. and make the room available for gaming weekday evenings and weekends.

This week I was there last Sunday evening, Tuesday evening, Thursday evening and I'll be going again Sunday evening. The guys running it pay the rent out of their own pocket, and then charge €3 a night to play games in there. (Or €25 for three months if you're planning on a few trips.) There's a selection of games in there, or you can bring your own.

If you want to come along some night send me a PM and I'll arrange to get in contact and we can meet up some night I know there'll be people there.

Buceph wrote: »
    Seeing as there are many self-professed geeks here. A new gaming club has opened up in Cork.

A couple of guys wanted to grow their gaming circle, and with a lack of space in their front room decided to open a club. They've rented a space on McCurtain St. and make the room available for gaming weekday evenings and weekends.

This week I was there last Sunday evening, Tuesday evening, Thursday evening and I'll be going again Sunday evening. The guys running it pay the rent out of their own pocket, and then charge €3 a night to play games in there. (Or €25 for three months if you're planning on a few trips.) There's a selection of games in there, or you can bring your own.

If you want to come along some night send me a PM and I'll arrange to get in contact and we can meet up some night I know there'll be people there.

do these guys have a website/facebook page or anything..? would like to check it out.!!

do these guys have a website/facebook page or anything..? would like to check it out.!!

I think there's a facebook alright. I don't use it but if you search for "Cork Games Guild."

So there's a possible meet up next Friday, anybody thinking of going?

In other geek news, saw the Avengers movie last night, best Hulk ever! Law needs to be passed that Whedon makes ALL superhero movies from now on...

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭stevexo

So there's a possible meet up next Friday, anybody thinking of going?

In other geek news, saw the Avengers movie last night, best Hulk ever! Law needs to be passed that Whedon makes ALL superhero movies from now on...

i should be going. im going to try organise more meetups. havent been many in the past while, probably cos i moved away but im back now.
    we had drinks, bbq, night at the dogs, bowling, table quiz all in the last month with boardies.
    granted some of the stuff was organised off of boards due to the lack of actual interest on here.
    most people moan about the meetups and never go to them so not much point really.
    couple of us have been talking about some sort of adventure day away or something during the summer, like surfing lessons or sea kayaking or something like that. could do an over night thing if people wanted and get locked.
    either way ill be trying to organise some mid week and weekend stuff like perhaps game night at mine in midleton, but only if i know you (and like you)

that games club sounds interesting.
    and speaking of the death star, im listening to tenacious d's new song deth starr :)

havent been to the avengers yet, maybe this week. from what i hear its pretty good

• Advertisement

Good plan!

Once I'm not a complete stranger I'll keen to do more than the odd meet up for drinkies and I'll help in organising stuff too.

Like the adventure day idea but my overnight ticket this summer is already booked for this airsoft experience in the UK, they drop you in a deserted shopping center and you've to survive the zombie hoards.

MMMMMMMMMM, zombie hoards...

Good plan!

Once I'm not a complete stranger I'll keen to do more than the odd meet up for drinkies and I'll help in organising stuff too.

Like the adventure day idea but my overnight ticket this summer is already booked for this airsoft experience in the UK, they drop you in a deserted shopping center and you've to survive the zombie hoards.

like a day trip to the tramore or dunmore east direction shouldnt be too bad. they do that stuff out there.

Good plan!

I've heard about this zombie survival thing.. i love the dawn of the dead (old version) so this would be like living one of my favorite movies :D to google with me.. :D

also on the organising front of things.. ive never gone to a meet up, im one of those socially awkward penguin types but ive always wanted a viking themed night, big plates piled with food eating with just hands (picture giant legs of chicken and the likes) while having huge jugs of beer to drink and just be messy.... oh and we all wear fake beards (or cultivate a real one) and horned helmets.. if only somewhere in cork had this :/

There are some castles around that do it over in the kerry clare direction

stevexo wrote: »
    There are some castles around that do it over in the kerry clare direction

interesting.. i must check it out :D cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,950 ✭✭✭Doge

Now if only there was something like this for electronic games!

Great to see things like this going on around the city!

waveform wrote: »
    Now if only there was something like this for electronic games!

Great to see things like this going on around the city!

exactly what i thought as well, tournaments in BF:3, diablo III (soon), team fortress 2, street fighter, or just wander around skyrim like usual :) could be an idea i guess.!!

exactly what i thought as well, tournaments in BF:3, diablo III (soon), team fortress 2, street fighter, or just wander around skyrim like usual :) could be an idea i guess.!!

Back when Diablo 2 and Unreal Tournament game out Web Workhouse was a hotspot for multiplayer gaming. I remember being in their saturday mornings as a teenager, fag hanging from my mouth, ash all down the front of my jumper, frantically trying not to be terrible at Unreal Tournament. And the balls of getting the computers in the sunlight so you had to tilt them and put them at an angle. I kind of regret never giving Diablo 2 a go though.

There's still always guys upstairs playing games so I'd say you could join in. There's just nothing official.

Back when Diablo 2 and Unreal Tournament game out Web Workhouse was a hotspot for multiplayer gaming. I remember being in their saturday mornings as a teenager, fag hanging from my mouth, ash all down the front of my jumper, frantically trying not to be terrible at Unreal Tournament. And the balls of getting the computers in the sunlight so you had to tilt them and put them at an angle. I kind of regret never giving Diablo 2 a go though.

There's still always guys upstairs playing games so I'd say you could join in. There's just nothing official.

ah man i know it all too well, i used to go in there about 10 years ago playing battlefield 1942 from about 12am to 8am and the place would be packed up stairs. great times.

i went in there a few months ago on a long break from college and spent a few hours playing portal 2 and BF:3, just didnt feel the same anymore.

unreal tournament.. now theres an idea..!!!

has anyone given tribes: ascend a go yet.? its a free to play game that is just amazing i have to say...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

You're a poet sir, I suspect your geek phase is behind you, though, they say boys never grow out of it, but we don't normally become geeks again until after out little princess and princes have grown up.

Whilst you were away, being a geek was perhaps a safeguard .... think of what I could say next!

Advertisement