Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

40" Samsung UE40D5003 LED TV Tesco €479

• 22-04-2012 11:04am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Doing these in my local branch Artane Castle, is it a bargain €558 on Amazon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭PressTheButton

Don't have one but generally picture quality on Samsungs is pretty good. Importantly, it's 'Saorview Approved'. Samsung Model UE40D5003 is on the list - check for yourself here: http://www.saorview.ie/product/samsung/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Not an out and out bargain IMO. this is a 2011 set. This was going in the christmas sales for €479 too. My sister got it. Its a good enough set for the money, a bit bare on spec though, as in, only 2 hdmi and no component or VGA inputs so its fine as long as you know what you're getting.. Oh and i nearly forgot, the sound is crap, fairly understandable given how slim it is..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

ninty wrote: »
    Doing these in my local branch Artane Castle, is it a bargain €558 on Amazon

I picked up a few different HD LG TVs in various sizes from Artane Castle and Clarehall at Christmass time.

Every now and again,they will have some good deals,that dont last for long.

So you have to be in there rather quick.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Oh and i nearly forgot, the sound is crap, fairly understandable given how slim it is..

Slim doesn't necessarily mean bad sound - just cheap parts mean bad sound. I have a 6 series Samsung slim LED and sound is very good and far better then my other "fatter" LCD Samsung.

Does seem thin on connections and is fairly cut down on features.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭Dazzling D

Thought Series 6 had bad sound too. Was put off the D6530 as it was advertised as Full HD in 3D but it wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭skinny90

you'll be very let down op...its a cheap spin off of the d5000,rubbish connectivity in my eyes.you'd get a better tv for 20-50 euro more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭Medicine333

skinny90 wrote: »
    you'll be very let down op...its a cheap spin off of the d5000,rubbish connectivity in my eyes.you'd get a better tv for 20-50 euro more

Is the D5000 the best TV Samsung have on offer?

Is the D5000 the best TV Samsung have on offer?
    most definitely not...the likes of samsung will have a range for every budget.the 5 serious is generally seen as a mid range tv.its not true 100hz tho it may be advertised as 100hz clear motion rate,its still a 50hz tv

most definitely not...the likes of samsung will have a range for every budget.the 5 serious is generally seen as a mid range tv.its not true 100hz tho it may be advertised as 100hz clear motion rate,its still a 50hz tv

Thank you:)

So, what would you recommend Samsung-wise for a 37-40 inch TV, preferably LED?

Thank you:)

So, what would you recommend Samsung-wise for a 37-40 inch TV, preferably LED?
    how much are you looking to spend?...
    have you any specification in mind,ie smart features,3d,refresh rate....???

• Advertisement

how much are you looking to spend?...
    have you any specification in mind,ie smart features,3d,refresh rate....???

Well, anything up to 500 or 600 euro:)

I don't need 3d, but what are smart features? :o

I'd be watching a fair bit of sport like GAA on it!

Thank you for your help-great to have someone knowledgeable helping me!

Well, anything up to 500 or 600 euro:)

I don't need 3d, but what are smart features? :o

I'd be watching a fair bit of sport like GAA on it!

Thank you for your help-great to have someone knowledgeable helping me!
    il send ya a pm as we'd be going off topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Curious How is it not a true 100hz?

google it,im 99% sure its not. clear motion rate reduces blur but the panel can still be 50hz (which im nearly sure in this case)leading to less smoother image..correct me if im wrong...im very tired:(

I did and the comments on it were pretty vague. 5 series being 50hz but advertised with 100hz clear motion. But most of the ads I can find they are advertised as 100hz and 50hz.

For example this is a series 5 listed as 100hz

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-32ES550&pages=1&prod=32ES550&brands=SAMSUNG&image=

So am I to take it that its not 100hz? Googling didn't help.

Lads, make no mistake, this is a 50Hz set. I installed the one my sister got a few months ago and i was aware when i bought it for her that the 100hz claim was just some marketting bo**ox. The 100hz 'feature' is some claim aboutn the frequency of the backlight, it does nothing regarding the motion, in fact if you get it, you'll have the feature off, it makes things worse in reality. For a 50Hz set, its fine. A true 100hz set would never be this cheap..

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/samsung-ue40d5520-ue32d5520-201107121282.htm

Here what it says about motion resolution
    The Samsung UE40D5520 is equipped with 100Hz “Clear Motion Rate” MCFI technology, which can be activated via the [LED Motion Plus] option in the user menu. However, the result was not really what we had hoped for: engaging [LED Motion Plus] introduced obvious interpolation artefacts around and even within the moving objects, so much so that measured motion resolution actually dropped paradoxically to 250 if we went by the test pattern found in Chapter 31 of the “FPD Benchmark Software For Professional” Blu-ray disc. Disabling [LED Motion Plus] restored the number of moving lines resolved to 300, the prevalent baseline figure for bog-standard LCD displays.

This review is of a tv with the same panel as the tv in question, one commenter underneath the review clarifies the 100hz thing
    This TV has no 100hz. Samsung just invented a system called Clear Motion Rate (CMR). The TV has a CMR of 100hz, not a refresh rate of 100hz. They say that CMR is based on panel, backlighting, and chipset. But if you ask me, this system was invented to confuse customers and make them believe that this TV has 100hz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Disgraceful. Its getting very complicated now. The ad stated 100hz . Zonda, you know your stuff, and as you said, its just too cheap for a true 100hz set but how many purchasers would not know this ? A hell of a lot, me thinks. I guarantee you that the PowerCity sales staff would believe it to be true 100hz also.

dodzy wrote: »
    Disgraceful. Its getting very complicated now. The ad stated 100hz . Zonda, you know your stuff, and as you said, its just too cheap for a true 100hz set but how many purchasers would not know this ? A hell of a lot, me thinks. I guarantee you that the PowerCity sales staff would believe it to be true 100hz also.
    Yeah it represents a new low alright tbh, when a lot ot retailers look at the box and when it says 100hz on it, they're just gonna put 100hz on the spec list. Remember, for the most part, the retailers aren't experts on the technology.. Even though, comparing a true 100hz set, side by side, with this you'll notice the difference immediately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭td2008

Picked this up at xmas for the same price in currys. Very good tv if you can put up with the lack of connectivity. I was aware of the 50hz when i bought it aswell.
    I think the a 37inch of the newer series is still over 500 pound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i was in power city in blanch looking at the series 7 & 8 samsungs and they really are a stonking bit of kit.

there doesn't seem to be any real difference other than the bezel and stand though (series 7 being black and series 8 being brushed metal with a different (and imho worse looking) stand design.

I'd be hard pushed to find a reason to buy any other brand/model of TV after seeing them in action, other than that the newest LG ones have passive 3D (same as in the cinema) instead of the active 3D on the samsungs etc.

serious money though, you'd want a big budget if you were going to splash out, although there are a few nice looking sets on the horizon. :)

• Advertisement

There all at it when it comes to this kind of stuff,i always remembered 6serious being the start of the "good shtuff"with Samsung,regarding the 7 nd 8 serious absolutely lovely sets and yes they are very similar tho I know a lot of people who have the 7serious and wished they had splashed out on the 8.

Zonda999 wrote: »
    Yeah it represents a new low alright tbh, when a lot ot retailers look at the box and when it says 100hz on it, they're just gonna put 100hz on the spec list. Remember, for the most part, the retailers aren't experts on the technology.. Even though, comparing a true 100hz set, side by side, with this you'll notice the difference immediately

They are all miss advertising these sets then. As they pitch them up there the same as the true 100hz set to the punters. They should be reported to the advertising authority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

This one looks decent price wise

http://www.richersounds.com/product/lcd-led-tvs/sharp/lc40le531e/shar-lc40le531e

but then again

Manufacturers now use their own measurement systems so can not necessarily be compared between brands. Examples include LG - Motion Clarity Index (MCI), Samsung - Clear Motion rate (CMR), Philips - Perfect Motion Rate (PMR), Sony - Motionflow XR and Panasonic - Intelligent Frame Creation (IFC). All these figures are twice or more than the traditional 100Hz/200Hz refresh rate figures. No abbreviation indicates traditional measurement. Plasmas generally use a 600Hz sub-field refresh rate.

It states 100Hz motion processing but who really knows.

Serie 5 Sammy http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/9650340/art/samsung/ue40d5000-led-television.html

temporary out of stock

This one looks like a real bargain to me
    http://www.directtvs.co.uk/Toshiba_40BV702B_40_Inch_freeview_LED_TV_40BV702B/version.asp#maindesc

Unfortunately,not quite sure if any of those units are Saorview approved

http://www.saorview.ie/equipment/saorview-approved-product-listings/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Is it really that expensive to get upwards of 50Hz?
    I mean, I have seen TVs with 600Hz, if you are all debating 100Hz, I can't imagine why 600Hz isn't that expensive

The thing is 50 hz the standard for LCD/led,if you go for 100 hz you should pay a premium
    Just like you would have with the CRT

There all at it when it comes to this kind of stuff,i always remembered 6serious being the start of the "good shtuff"with Samsung,regarding the 7 nd 8 serious absolutely lovely sets and yes they are very similar tho I know a lot of people who have the 7serious and wished they had splashed out on the 8.
    from what i could see, the series 7 & 8 are pretty much identical other than the finish on the bezel and the different stand.

they look like they both have all the same features and the guy in the shop said they both use the same panel now as well and both have the 2 upgradeable modules in the back so (apparently) they will be upgradable to the 2013 model spec. next year (although i guess time will tell on that one).

vibe666 wrote: »
    from what i could see, the series 7 & 8 are pretty much identical other than the finish on the bezel and the different stand.

they look like they both have all the same features and the guy in the shop said they both use the same panel now as well and both have the 2 upgradeable modules in the back so (apparently) they will be upgradable to the 2013 model spec. next year (although i guess time will tell on that one).
    Both have the same spider stand, I assume you are talking about the "D " range ie ue40d7000/8000 serious,there very similar specs the 8000 is a far better looking tv in my opinion and also has extra Av connections at the back tho you won't need them,that's all I can see anyways

Both have the same spider stand, I assume you are talking about the "D " range ie ue40d7000/8000 serious,there very similar specs the 8000 is a far better looking tv in my opinion and also has extra Av connections at the back tho you won't need them,that's all I can see anyways
    sorry, i meant the ES7000 and ES8000 models with the ultra-thin bezel and webcam/mic/sensor bit on the top.

the ES7000 still has the spider type stand, but the ES8000 has a new one that makes it look like an upside down carry handle. :(

i don't like the brushed metal either on the 8 series, the black on the 7 series is much nicer imho.

vibe666 wrote: »
    sorry, i meant the ES7000 and ES8000 models with the ultra-thin bezel and webcam/mic/sensor bit on the top.

the ES7000 still has the spider type stand, but the ES8000 has a new one that makes it look like an upside down carry handle. :(

i don't like the brushed metal either on the 8 series, the black on the 7 series is much nicer imho.

Ya is agree with ya on the es 8000 it isn't the best designed tv,the finish isnt as good as last years i thought the d8000 was a piece of art never liked the brush steal finish until then.this years comes across quite cheap ish also it's fixed so it doesn't swivel(I think) haven't seen the new 7000 serious,does it have the same features ie ability to use the evolution kit and duel core chip,I havnt looked into this chip but I wonder of its like sony's x reality pros engine or is it for the smart side of the tv.if it is similar to sony's technology it would definitely be appealing
    Note to mods I reported this post by accident,silly iPhone

• Advertisement

the new es7000 appears to basically be the same as the es8000 except it still has the older style spider stand and a black bezel, although it's the same dimensions as the es8000.

it also seems to have the 2 replaceable modules at the evolution and dual core jobbie so should be fully upgradeable next year as well. would be interesting to see if it's capable of being upgraded to support passive 3D next year (assuming samsung go that way when the time comes) as i think it's the way forward, it's just unfortunate that so far (afaik) LG etc. are only able to do it in 1080i, not 1080p like the active 3D with the samsungs.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭phunkymonk

got a budget of up to 500...ones i have been looking at is the one the OP opened thread with and this HANSPREE one
    http://www.did.ie/hannspree-42-lcd-tv-sk42tmnb but the review arent great on it...

can anyone recommend one to me? lookin at 40 - 42 inch tvs on NTL.:confused:

Hey look up lg lv450 very nice tv for just a bit extra

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭phunkymonk

what can you make of this one http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-42LK530&pages=1&prod=42LK530&brands=LG&image=

phunkymonk wrote: »
    what can you make of this one http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-42LK530&pages=1&prod=42LK530&brands=LG&image=
    Their very similar models,the main difference is LCD (lk) vs (lv) which is led,I didn't check if that tv has smart features but that wouldn't be a big deal but generally their very Limited otherwise their very very similar models.
    Iv seen their version of samsunga CMR and it's very impressive for a tv that price in fact in my opinion it's a lot better, USB connectivity is fantastic on lgs.word of advice If ya can download "divx hd"files it will justify which ever tv you go for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

This is €429 now for anyone interested.

• Advertisement
Advertisement