Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mounting 4 LNB's on Channel Master?

• 19-04-2012 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

A few years back, my first steps in Satellite, I bought a 1.2mtr Cannel Master 2nd hand with 3 arm support for LNB.

It was cheap, now I would like to mount 4 LNB's on it. I know it's not ideal but has anybody done this sucessfully?

Photo would be great or even the type of multi-LNB holder used and any mods done.

Don't mention motorising it!!!

Thanks

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭RimaNTSS

What about self-made? This is not Channel Master, but, I think it is possible to do on any antenna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭dohouch

@RimaNTSS: Thanks for the photo. I like doing self-made also, but so far haven't had the inspiration to come up with anything stable and adjustable. Those clamps on your cross-bar, are they from a chemistry laboratory, or some other place?

This is what I have to work with....
    picture.php?albumid=51&pictureid=12570

🧐IMHO, God wants us all to ENJOY many,many ice-creams , 🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦🍦

Clamps are made from INOX (aluminum one also could be used) square-crosscut pipe, that was cut in about 5cm pieces and then some holes drilled.
    On your antenna it is more than possible to attach some horizontal bar on which to put LNBs.
    Some another pictures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Got these on my trawl for sat pics from where I do not know. Hope they might be of help.:)

picture.php?albumid=2094&pictureid=12659

picture.php?albumid=2094&pictureid=12658

picture.php?albumid=2094&pictureid=12656

picture.php?albumid=2094&pictureid=12655

picture.php?albumid=2094&pictureid=12653

picture.php?albumid=2094&pictureid=12652

:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Greenman wrote: »
    Got these on my trawl for sat pics from where I do not know. Hope they might be of help.:)

:):):)

Greenman, you can always be relied upon for some great setup pics :)
    If not of your own great setup, 1s like these are always a great staring point for those of us looking to tweak and play!
    Thank you :D

• Advertisement

Hi! Will bumb this thread as I recently got CM 1,2m. Nice dish. I am not very interested in making multifeed for it, but after I made new LNB holder, so side feedarms become little bit wider and now it is possible to attach couple of LNBs in such a way they will not be hidden behind the feedarms. And one more thing about this dish: I think that original LNB holder (plastic one) does not hold LNB in antenna's focus and not pointing it to the right point on the surface of the dish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭zg3409

I have exact same dish. Old channel masters had a super long feed, and the holder was designed for that, not normal LNBs. The manual for old channel masters is around online and I have a copy too.

There is a guy in Dublin selling old ones, and he also sells the right feed.

With an ordinary LNB in the prime position, it still will not perform as well as the correct feed.

If using an ordinary LNB it would need to be closer to the dish. You can find out easily by holding it in your hand with the TV and receiver beside the dish.

Old channel masters use an non-normal F/d so the beam width of the feed needs to match. Having said that for a multiple LNB setup in non critical situations it will be fine. More modern LNBs are probably more sensitive than an ancient LNB with the correct feed. Have a look at photos online and you can see the massive feedhorn needed, or look at any bookies!

@zg3409 thanks for the info. Did you check on your dish whether LNB is located in atntenna's focus and where holder points LNB (if you continue LNB line till it hits dish surface)?

RimaNTSS wrote: »
    @zg3409 thanks for the info. Did you check on your dish whether LNB is located in atntenna's focus and where holder points LNB (if you continue LNB line till it hits dish surface)?

I have not checked that. I noticed the bottom leg is not held in that well and I modified it with a bolt all the way through.

I am not certain the centre of the LNB should point at the centre of the dish. It would depend on the feed design, distance from the feed to various parts of the dish etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 caveman99

I have the same Channel Master 1m dish, but in the version that was used by the old Eutelsat internet access 'Tooway'. The difference being the massive aluminium feed pickup and the giant feedhorn without a polarizer. I removed the VSAT LNB Combo and fitted a standard C120 Low Noise LNB. So far so good. Now i want to add multifeed capability but run into problems. The feed support is a bit lower ("between" the side supports, not "above" them as with the plastic LNB holder) and at a slightly different angle. I tried fitting several Multifeed rails i found in my spare parts drawer above and below the supports, but none except the most fragile types fitted the massive feed support block. The Gibertini Rail i was favouring was a total miss. Even with a home made fitting the side support bars are kinda 'in the way' of the additional feed horns. Any idead how i could fit those anyway? Can i go above the tubes without giving away too much gain? I want a secondary LNB to pick up 28 degrees East with the main beam pointing at 19,2 degrees East (situated on the western rim of German, trying to pick up BBC*). Suggestions anyone?

* BBC worked fine here with a 85cm Prime Focus Dish, trying to reduce the dish forest a bit...

• Advertisement

2caveman99: Why do not you post some pictures of your dish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Do you still have signal on 28 east on your 85cm? Depending on how far west you are, you may be out of luck picking up BBC on an offset lnb. The footprint is extremely tight now on uk/ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 caveman99

2RimaNTSS: I just signed up, so i can not upload pictures or URL's(yet). From googling around though it's basically this dish and feedhorn clamp:

http:[slash][slash]www[dot]satsig[dot]net[slash]el-molino[slash]tooway-26[dot]jpg

http:[slash][slash]media[dot]cylex-uk[dot]co[dot]uk[slash]companies[slash]1272[slash]3684[slash]images[slash]pic_Amsat-tooway-vsat-dish-_618452_large[dot]jpg

i'll put up some hires images of my acutal dish later, when the board allows me to. :-)

2snaps: I still have a decent signal on my 85cm dish from Astra 2F. Satbeams.com even recommends 65cm for my location:

"Reception details EIRP level = 49 dBW Recommended dish size = 65cm / 25.6in"

And even if the multifeed reception won't work, i'll swivel the dish around and take 19,2 East out of the prime focus. Basically leaves me with the same mechanical problem though, plus aiming for 5 LNB's in total (10E, 13E, 19E, 23.5E and 28.5E), i fear if i move the prime focus to 28.5 i'll have difficulties with the Eutelsats on 13 an 10E.

OK, caveman99, has sent me pictures, and I am posting them now. That is nice antenna, even it has name on it "tooway" it is still well known "Channel master 120". And it looks pretty fresh, as new. Those dishes are well known as not good ones to make multifeeds on them, and also that LNB is not located at the very focus of the dish (I want to be wrong about last statement, but, unfortunately, it seems to be true ). The better way how to adjust this dish for multifeed is to make new LNB holder, or even make new feedarms and LNB holder, that is IMHO. I've got 4 such a dishes, so, someday I am going to desighn completely new feedarms and LNB holder, but that can take quiet a time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Your best bet might be to motorise it!

Motorized and stationary systems, both have pluses and minuses, so combining them could combine pluses and eliminate minuses of those systems.

I have 3 LNBs on my Channel Master 1,2m ATM, one of then could be Ka (but I do not have one). Video
    explains how it works
    img-20160223-132734-custom-_imagesia-com_15ryp_small.jpg

Receiving 28 East in Germany is possible, HOWEVER, many of the channels are on a narrow beam DESIGNED to give a very weak signal.

Look here:
    http://satbeams.com/footprints?beam=5595
    and click on some of the SPOT beams. You can see they are intended for UK and Ireland only.

Look here:
    http://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2E-2F-2G.html
    and see for example
    10714 H tp 41 UK, means it is on the "UK" beam meaning it will have low signal in Germany
    12207 V tp 26 Europe Ku, means Sky news would be much stronger in Germany.

I would recommend turning your dish to 28.2 and confirming if even the prime focus LNB can receive the weaker channels on the UK beam.

Note in order to receive every transponder you may need an even larger dish. Some channels are aimed at West Africa.

Is there a particular channel you would like to receive. Most of the BBC's are on the narrow UK beam.

Turning of my Channel Master is limited by balcony infrastructure and only signals from satellites 9*E-12,5*W can be received. I am not in Germany and can get whole UK beam on my T90, which is also located on the balcony (it is actually visible behind CM120).

Hi! Made this multifeed for CM 1,2m for reception from 4,8*E-13*-19,2*E. Used original side-arms but self-made bottom-feedarm. img-20160824-110529-custom-_imagesia-com_19w0y_small.jpgimg-20160824-110445-custom-_imagesia-com_19w0x_small.jpg

• Advertisement

Here is my new version of LNB-holder for Channel Master dish.img-20161110-090826-custom-_imagesia-com_1bg3k_large.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭20/20

For those who are interested in buying a channel master dish with the full kit also made by channel master have a look at this advert.

http://www.adverts.ie/satellite/channel-master-1-2m-satellite-dish/11484467

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

20/20 wrote: »
    For those who are interested in buying a channel master dish with the full kit also made by channel master have a look at this advert.

http://www.adverts.ie/satellite/channel-master-1-2m-satellite-dish/11484467

Dollymount :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭20/20

Close enough.

I have no connection with this guy, but he has loads of channel masters for sale in Dublin. You will need to collect and may need a trailer or van as they are one piece dishes:

http://www.adverts.ie/satellite/channel-master-1-2m-satellite-dish-wth-bracket/1616764

He also has wall brackets etc. I bought one from him a few years ago and it is going strong. In the comments you can see I posted a link to the actual owners manual which explains how to make a concrete base etc.

I will quote it below:
    This is the EXACT dish for sale:
    http://viasatelital.com/manuales/channel_master/channel-master-type-120.pdf

It is 1.2M. You really need the AZEL bracket and stand off wall mounting bracket, and this is designed for mounting on a 3" pole not a 2" as would be normally used in domestic circumstances. I would recommend you buy the dish, mounting bracket AND a wall bracket with 3" mount, otherwise you will have problems mounting it on say a 2" pole. The mount is designed to go on the very top of a 3" pole. Pay the extra. I am not the seller, just someone who bought one from the seller and is very happy. It is great value for a commercial grade dish.

Note you should also be using the recommended non standard commercial feed horn, although a universal LNB will work to some extent. In case someone does not realise the seller has quite a few for sale.

Hi! I am testing new mount for CM 120. It works in USALS mode. img-20170201-134349-custom-_imagesia-com_1cvwt_small.jpg
    Small video how it goes H-H https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3IWbRlhWBA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

RimaNTSS wrote: »
    Hi! I am testing new mount for CM 120. It works in USALS mode. img-20170201-134349-custom-_imagesia-com_1cvwt_small.jpg
    Small video how it goes H-H https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3IWbRlhWBA

Lovely stuff as usual. smile.pngsmile.pngsmile.png

I've got couple of 120cm CM dishes without feedarms. So, decided to make them. Used 10x1mm INOX tubes and standard pipe-clamps as LNB-holders. I do not think that will be hard to tune this antenna. img-20180417-173011-large-_imagesia-com_1g8t9_small.jpgimg-20180417-172957-large-_imagesia-com_1g8t7_small.jpgimg-20180417-172949-large-_imagesia-com_1g8t8_small.jpg

Advertisement