Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance problem

Options
  • 18-04-2012 5:16pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So I'm currently with axa and have bought a new car. I'm not currently driving the new car as it needs a bit work done first. I booked it in to get some work done for tomorrow and rang up axa to transfer my insurance over to the new car for the day. Now my policy is up for renewal in September and I rang up a week or two ago to get a quote on how much it would be to transfer the insurance until September and they quoted me €50, but as I hadn't bought the car at the time I didn't do it. I rang up today to transfer the insurance over, just until Friday, and they refused to quote me or transfer the insurance because of the engine size and my age. When I told them that they had quoted me 2 weeks ago they said they had no record of it on my file. I also asked about the 3rd party extension which is stated on my policy but they said I can't avail of that as I'm not over 25 even though it's there printed on my policy. Is there anything that I can do? I need to drive the car tomorrow but now I can't get insured on it. I thought that insurance companies can't refuse a transfer or something like that but maybe I'm wrong. Any help or advice appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Is the new car in your name? If not your other policy will cover you as you are not the owner.
    What make and engine size we talking? I would not worry about tomorrow and getting to the garage, someone will drive it or get the garage to pick it up.

This thread should be in motors AH.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=546

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

hondasam wrote: »
    Is the new car in your name? If not your other policy will cover you as you are not the owner.
    What make and engine size we talking? I would not worry about tomorrow and getting to the garage, someone will drive it or get the garage to pick it up.

New car is in my name, but like I said, they won't cover me even if it wasn't in my name due to me not being over 25. It's a 1.8 BMW. I've gotten quotes on it from ther companies but it's that fact that I was quoted on it and now not being able to get insured on it. I could ask and see if anyone can drop it off for me.

New car is in my name, but like I said, they won't cover me even if it wasn't in my name due to me not being over 25. It's a 1.8 BMW. I've gotten quotes on it from ther companies but it's that fact that I was quoted on it and now not being able to get insured on it. I could ask and see if anyone can drop it off for me.

I can see your problem now. Your best option is going as a named driver tbh. Who have you tried?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

I can see your problem now. Your best option is going as a named driver tbh. Who have you tried?

I really don't want to do that as I've built up nearly 3 years NCB on my own policy. I've tried Axa, AA, Chill, 123.ie, Quote Devil, Quinn, No Nonsense and AON.

I really don't want to do that as I've built up nearly 3 years NCB on my own policy. I've tried Axa, AA, Chill, 123.ie, Quote Devil, Quinn, No Nonsense and AON.

Try FBD and Brittons. not sure how you will get on. Glennons in Dublin might be worth a shot.

• Advertisement

Try FBD and Brittons. not sure how you will get on. Glennons in Dublin might be worth a shot.

Tried FBD too.

Tried FBD too.

How much you paying now? have you got any quote at all?

How much you paying now? have you got any quote at all?

At the moment I'm paying €1,000 on a micra and when I rang axa the first time they estimated €1,200 for next year on the BMW. I've gotten 3 quotes so far, €3,500 €2,300 and €1,700.

At the moment I'm paying €1,000 on a micra and when I rang axa the first time they estimated €1,200 for next year on the BMW. I've gotten 3 quotes so far, €3,500 €2,300 and €1,700.

The only other one I can think of if First Ireland.

Axa are not great for young drivers. Did she mean €200 until your policy is up?
    €1700 is a very good price for your age, the car/engine size.

The only other one I can think of if First Ireland.

Axa are not great for young drivers. Did she mean €200 until your policy is up?
    €1700 is a very good price for your age, the car/engine size.

I know, but they were the cheapest 3 years ago and with my renewal quotes so that's why I went with them. She said €50 until the policy was up and then estimated that it would be €1,200 for the next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Call back and say that you want to go ahead with the switchover to the new car.
    Don't let on that you called earlier.
    It may just be the person you were talking to who has the wrong info.

I could but I didn't get a quote reference or anything and they said there was no record of it on my file.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

the 50 quid is most likely an admin fee and not based on the vehicle. they prob wont rejig the premium until renewal, so i wouldnt base next years renewal on that. Plus, by year end, gender equalisation wil have kicked in for most insurers and ur policy (given your sex/age) will increase quite substantially (sorry)!!lol

as you have tried most other companies, give QuoteME.IE a try. I did a quick quote (im not the most efficient with our quotation tool, and i dont know your details that well ) but I got a price for u25 females on 1.8 vehicles for most insurers!!! (including AXA, so maybe its not the 1.8litre specifically thats the problem).

no harm in it :D

I could but I didn't get a quote reference or anything and they said there was no record of it on my file.

Did you try on line?

The calls are logged.
    marcus2000 wrote: »
    the 50 quid is most likely an admin fee and not based on the vehicle. they prob wont rejig the premium until renewal, so i wouldnt base next years renewal on that. Plus, by year end, gender equalisation wil have kicked in for most insurers and ur policy (given your sex/age) will increase quite substantially (sorry)!!lol

as you have tried most other companies, give QuoteME.IE a try. I did a quick quote (im not the most efficient with our quotation tool, and i dont know your details that well ) but I got a price for u25 females on 1.8 vehicles for most insurers!!! (including AXA, so maybe its not the 1.8litre specifically thats the problem).

AH is a boy:eek:

marcus2000 wrote: »

Unfortunately I'm a male :P
    Did you try on line?

Tried online and got the "please ring us" message

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭marcus2000

Unfortunately I'm a male :P

haha. i actually thought to myself afterwards, why am I assuming they are female!! lol. sorry about that :D:D

The calls are logged.

They did say that if I could remeber the person I was talking to and the day I rang the first time, they could look into it. Maybe if I gave them my phone number they could trace it from there.

They did say that if I could remeber the person I was talking to and the day I rang the first time, they could look into it. Maybe if I gave them my phone number they could trace it from there.

All insurance calls are logged, they are just saying this, believe me if it was to their advantage they would have it logged.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

I'm perplexed here. If the policy is yours and you are changing vehicle they are obliged to cover you on the new vehicle as the insurer concerned. They may charge through the nose but still have to do it. So what exactly is the problem?

peteb2 wrote: »
    I'm perplexed here. If the policy is yours and you are changing vehicle they are obliged to cover you on the new vehicle as the insurer concerned. They may charge through the nose but still have to do it. So what exactly is the problem?

The problem is that they refuse to do so. They just told me they can't transfer the insurance over onto that particular car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I'm perplexed here. If the policy is yours and you are changing vehicle they are obliged to cover you on the new vehicle as the insurer concerned. ...
    They are under no legal obligation to do this.
    For example, I start my policy on a Nissan Micra and before the expiration date I ask them to transfer the policy onto (for example) a 911 GT3 RS. "But it's my legal right; you have to insure me. Boo Hoo".

OP, all I can say is the next time you deal with an insurance company about stuff like this, record the conversation, get the person's name and get them to repeat everything you say and confirm cover from a specific date.

Exactly the same thing happened to me when I changed from an Impreza Turo 2000 to an Impreza WRX. Hibernian (now Aviva) refused to transfer the insurance on the basis that the new car was a Japanese import. It wasn't; it was a brand new Irish car registered in my name sitting in the dealer's forecourt.

I fear you won't be winning here. I left Hibernian that day and won't go near Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

mathepac wrote: »
    I'm perplexed here. If the policy is yours and you are changing vehicle they are obliged to cover you on the new vehicle as the insurer concerned. ...
    They are under no legal obligation to do this.
    For example, I start my policy on a Nissan Micra and before the expiration date I ask them to transfer the policy onto (for example) a 911 GT3 RS. "But it's my legal right; you have to insure me. Boo Hoo".

OP, all I can say is the next time you deal with an insurance company about stuff like this, record the conversation, get the person's name and get them to repeat everything you say and confirm cover from a specific date.

Exactly the same thing happened to me when I changed from an Impreza Turo 2000 to an Impreza WRX. Hibernian (now Aviva) refused to tranfer the insurance on the basis that the new car was a Japanese import. It wasn't; it was a brand new Irish car registered in my name sitting in the dealer's forecourt.

I'm af you winning here. I left Hibenian that day and won't go near Aviva.

Of course they're obliged! It's the rules. Everyone has to be allowed motor insurance so they will do it. They will just charge you for it!

Seriously mathepac if you don't know just say it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

They are obliged to cover you on the new car as long as it is registered in your own name, they can charge you a large sum to do so if they wish but they do indeed have to cover you.

Of course they're obliged! It's the rules. Everyone has to be allowed motor insurance so they will do it. They will just charge you for it!

Seriously mathepac if you don't know just say it!!
    So quote the rules in detail and show us where it is written that an insurance company must transfer an existing policy onto a new car i.e. a car that did not feature in the original proposal.

And btw the statement that "Everyone has to be allowed motor insurance..." is absolute childish nonsense, utter rubbish. Where is this nugget of human rights codified? People without licences or learners permits are not entitled to insurance, people whose licences are suspended are not entitled to insurance, people suffering from a range of physical disorders / disabilities may not be entitled to insurance, children under a certain age are not entitled to insurance, people who must take certain kinds of medications are not entitled to insurance, etc. A lot of people in this list cannot hold licences or learners permits, therefore they cannot get insurance; the only exceptions might be Gardai who are not required to hold a licence to drive state or private vehicles, but are insured by the state anyway.

It's fairly clear where the knowledge deficit exists, but it's not with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭JustLen

mathepac wrote: »
    And btw the statement that "Everyone has to be allowed motor insurance..." is absolute childish nonsense, utter rubbish......

......It's fairly clear where the knowledge deficit exists, but it's not with me.

From the website for the National consumer agency
    http://www.nca.ie/index.jsp?p=225&n=230&a=111
    If you are refused cover by three or more companies you can contact the Declined Cases Committee of the Irish Insurance Federation. They will get an insurance quote for you

A little research and less presumptions would stop you looking stupid. Its common sense that when talking about this we aren't referring to people without licenses or young children.

JustLen wrote: »
    ... A little research and less presumptions would stop you looking stupid. Its common sense that when talking about this we aren't referring to people without licenses or young children.
    I asked some questions in my post which still remain unanswered.

If you read your own extract from the NCA website you will see that it states "They will get an insurance quote for you". Getting a quote is a long way short of establishing as fact the nonsense that is "Everyone has to be allowed motor insurance so they will do it."

I wonder who "they" are? It certainly is not the NCA

Where is it written that "Everyone has to be allowed motor insurance so they will do it."? I've asked this already and no-one has offered a link or a quote or a document so I guess my position is clear - getting insurance cover is not a right but a privilege you must earn by proving to the insurance underwriters that you are a reasonable risk (or virtually risk free) based on the good old actuarial tables that tabulate your age / vehicle / area / health / driving record etc. (Gender no longer applies folks 'cause it's illegal to use it in calculating motor insurance premiums (or premia if you prefer).

So where are these rules some of you keep blabbering on about; please produce same to add some weight to your opinions. I don't think I'll hold my breath waiting.

Just an update on this, I rang back axa today and I got them to trace my original call where I was quoted and they happily transfered my insurance over after listening to it :) Result!

Also rang the IIF beforehand to see where I stood and they said as quoted above that if I was refused insurance by 3 other companies then axa had to quote me on the new car even if it was a ridiculous price, but other than that they're not obliged to.

• Advertisement

... they happily transfered my insurance over after listening to it :) Result! ...
    Excellent. Well done for your persistence and it's good to hear that the recoded conversations can be used to the consumer's advantage. Well done to the company for standing by their original word too; it's rare enough in these mega-corp times.

Advertisement