Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-04-2012, 09:21   #1
DubDJ

Wireless Router Recommendation for Mac

Asked this in the Broadband forum but got no replies and thought someone on the Mac forum could offer help.

Hoping someone could offer me one or two suggestions on a good quality stable router for Mac. UPC have upgraded my area so i'm finally getting proper fixed line broadband. I've never bought a router before and i'm a bit lost in the sea of reviews online.

I'm using a Macbook Pro and will be getting the UPC basic 20MB package. I'm looking for a fast reliable router with no known problems with either UPC or Mac, as i've read a few issues with using certain routers with UPC and Mac. Also something with a wide range around the house, i'm not sure of how the different range codes work and it's just confused me.

I know Lion on MacBooks can suffer with problems with certain routers so that's something I want to avoid. Pretty anxious to get one ASAP as I don't wanna be stuck waiting too long. Added features like NAS, and one that supports up to 100MB/s would be preferable as well as i'd like to have the option to upgrade in the future.
Advertisement
18-04-2012, 09:35   #2
Zimmerframe

Don't know anything about UPC, but if you are using Apple equipment, then you can't go far wrong with an Apple Airport Extreme.
Thanks from:
18-04-2012, 09:46   #3
DubDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmerframe View Post
Don't know anything about UPC, but if you are using Apple equipment, then you can't go far wrong with an Apple Airport Extreme.
I considered this but wasn't sure if they were any use or not. What is the difference between the AirPort Express Base Station and the AirPort Extreme Base Station? Are they pretty much the same thing just the Extreme supporting a few addition features?
18-04-2012, 09:53   #4
Sad Professor
Information Retrieval

Yeah, the Express is a more compact version of the Extreme. The main difference is that it has only one Ethernet port and the USB port can't be used to connect a hard disk.
18-04-2012, 09:55   #5
DubDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Professor View Post
Yeah, the Express is a more compact version of the Extreme. The main difference is that it has only one Ethernet port and the USB port can't be used to connect a hard disk.
Thanks for that. I'm completely lost when it comes to this stuff. Think I might just got for the Express and save myself the headache. I have mostly Apple stuff anyways so hoping it will all work in harmony. Thanks for the help
Advertisement
18-04-2012, 10:35   #6
Zimmerframe

If you have the dosh, get the extreme m8.
18-04-2012, 10:46   #7
Sad Professor
Information Retrieval

I would just point out though that Macs should work fine with any router. When they don't it's usually due to a problem with the router, or with the Mac itself in which case having an Airport won't make any difference.
18-04-2012, 10:53   #8
DubDJ

I had my budget set for €100 really. I'll have a look at refurbs see if I could push for one of them. I know the router won't make much difference but I've seen problems with Lion and Wifi routers. And I usually prefer the simplicity of Apple stuff and the added support. I just hope there's no problem using it with UPC's modem. Haven't came across and threads to say they won't anyways.
18-04-2012, 11:11   #9
doopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad Professor View Post
I would just point out though that Macs should work fine with any router. When they don't it's usually due to a problem with the router, or with the Mac itself in which case having an Airport won't make any difference.
+1

Also with UPC they provide a router - if you want to use your own it will have to be set up and connected to their router meaning you'll have to have two routers on all the time. I use UPC and a mac and haven't had any issues.
Advertisement
18-04-2012, 11:34   #10
DubDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by doopa View Post
+1

Also with UPC they provide a router - if you want to use your own it will have to be set up and connected to their router meaning you'll have to have two routers on all the time. I use UPC and a mac and haven't had any issues.
They only provide a router for 3/4 of the packages they have. Only the 25MB, 50MB and 100MB package. I'm getting the 20MB one so no router is included. I've read somewhere about incompatibility problems between the UPC modem and certain wireless routers which has me cautious. Probably settle for one or the Base Stations though.
18-04-2012, 11:40   #11
doopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubDJ View Post
They only provide a router for 3/4 of the packages they have. Only the 25MB, 50MB and 100MB package. I'm getting the 20MB one so no router is included. I've read somewhere about incompatibility problems between the UPC modem and certain wireless routers which has me cautious. Probably settle for one or the Base Stations though.
Ah right - didn't realise that. Well anyway, sometimes its worth phoning them up to ask for a wireless router and saying you'll commit to a longer contract or something and seeing if they'll comp you one. Worth a try in my experience.
18-04-2012, 11:48   #12
DubDJ

Quote:
Ah right - didn't realise that. Well anyway, sometimes its worth phoning them up to ask for a wireless router and saying you'll commit to a longer contract or something and seeing if they'll comp you one. Worth a try in my experience.
To be honest I'd prefer to get my own router. Ive read quite a few threads about problems with the UPC one. Thanks for the help everyone though.
18-04-2012, 11:52   #13
Type 17

My brother is using an Airport Extreme with a UPC modem with no problems at all. He was using an Airport Express before that, also with no problems.

(Extreme providing dual 5GHz/802.11n and 2.4GHz/802.11g networks, so Express now in service extending the 801.11g network to the top floor of the house)
Thanks from:
18-04-2012, 11:56   #14
doopa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubDJ View Post
To be honest I'd prefer to get my own router. Ive read quite a few threads about problems with the UPC one. Thanks for the help everyone though.
Its not just that the UPC one has issues its that you can't change anything on it. That's my personal biggest gripe with it. You probably are better off getting your own one, especially if you want to do anything like set up time machine, network shares, NAS drives etc.

I personally have used Netgear in the past for routers and never had any problems with them. They do cable modem versions as well.

I had one similar to this before:
http://www.misco.co.uk/Product/Q1839...L-Cable-Router

I really like the old netgear ones.
18-04-2012, 12:05   #15
DubDJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Type 17 View Post
My brother is using an Airport Extreme with a UPC modem with no problems at all. He was using an Airport Express before that, also with no problems.

(Extreme providing dual 5GHz/802.11n and 2.4GHz/802.11g networks, so Express now in service extending the 801.11g network to the top floor of the house)
Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for. Just wanted to make sure it was compatible!

Quote:
Its not just that the UPC one has issues its that you can't change anything on it. That's my personal biggest gripe with it. You probably are better off getting your own one, especially if you want to do anything like set up time machine, network shares, NAS drives etc.

I personally have used Netgear in the past for routers and never had any problems with them. They do cable modem versions as well.

I had one similar to this before:
http://www.misco.co.uk/Product/Q1839...L-Cable-Router

I really like the old netgear ones.
Yeah I think the main two types I've come across as recommended is Netgear and Linksys. I've seen with UPC you have to use their modem they provide. So a cable modem wouldn't be of any use unfortunately.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion