Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***Match Thread*** Tue 3/4 20:15 WES2 -vs- Redmen Revival

Options
  • 30-03-2012 5:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

First game of the season!

Clay - in
    Conor - in
    Keith - in
    Jules - in
    Ciaran - in
    Cathal - away
    Collie - in
    Joe - in
    Wes - in
    Gavan - in
    Declan - in
    Gar - in
    Cormac - in
    Dave - in
    Darren -
    Damian -
    Stano - in

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

These lads are a complete unknown, I havent seen them in an other leagues over the last few years so chances are they are a brand new team.

Also very important to build on the games we've played in pre-season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I would suggest "revival" means at least some of them have been a team in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mall10357

I Am In For Tomorrow Cannot Wait

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

I'm in

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭murtagh

Wont be there tomorrow. Good luck lads, get off to a flyer!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭howsyourtusk

Good luck with new season lads. It's Martin (formerly LeixlipRed btw) ;) Will keep track of your progress. Hoping to get back playing in the Autumn and I'll probably end up coming crawling back as usual! Enjoy chaps

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Might drop by this game, haven't been to a game in months.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

dfx- wrote: »
    Might drop by this game, haven't been to a game in months.
    Neither have we! (friendlies not included)

2-2 draw. Not a great performance (particularly by myself) 2 sloppy goals given away both from set pieces.
    One from a corner to a striker unmarked in the 6 yard box, the other resulting from a free.

We had a few chances around the box that on another night we would have scored and even right at the end a ball was sent in for Stano who slipped at the last second.

We'll need to up it next week to get 3 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Ah you weren't the only Keith, several of us were way below our usual standard, I hold my hand up and acknowledge I was one of those. I found it very hard to control the ball in those conditions, not sure why but it seemed the hailstones/frost made it bounce different and more slippery than in normal rain. So it just wasn't sticking up front like it should have.

Though much of our lack of fluency was due to the conditions, Gav is right when he says too often we took the wrong option in midfield and upfront, we need to take the simple ball more often (e.g. several times chips over fullbacks heads from 10 yards for a winger to run onto were attempted when there were people available central for a simple switch). There were a few times we could've gotten a shot away but instead played it back out to be crossed in.

But the lesson is to think about how we respond in those frustrating circumstances - when someone messes up it's sometimes human nature to go 'ah ffs' but we need to get into the habit of biting our tongue and asking ourselves is our response more likely to encourage that player to do better next time or is it just lashing out at him which will put more pressure on him next time. That's the encouragement and patience point Collie and I were making before and after - easier said than done, and I got frustrated myself, but it is something for us to focus on getting right early in the season.

Keith's dead right though, both their goals were due to really poor defending from set pieces, we need to take more control of our penalty area.

That said, for the few times we played our usual stuff, we were actually quite incisive and had 4 decent chances in the last 10 to win it, so despite the above we weren't far off getting the 3 points, and at least it wasn't a loss, but much better is needed from all of us next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Mall10357

As Keith and Jules said we were not at our best last night, But 1 thing i did notice last night and certainly in those types of conditions was instead of trying to take the ball in we were trying the flicks.

But as Both lads said the two goals we conceded were simple mistakes which can be sorted.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

From where I was, I thought the rustiness was clear to see, combinations just a little bit off. If anything, the keeper could've been tested a bit more.

I thought they had a huge height advantage and they took full use of it and frees and corners - and both goals came from it and they looked threatening from each one.

I also thought they did well in terms of occupying boards' wingers and full backs. There was very few passes between the boards fullbacks and boards wingers because of this and the supply from Keith was also negated. Any time Keith went upfield to attack as usual or mark their excellent left winger, they feasted on the space behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Spiritofthekop

Agree with all that lads..

Probably should of won the game at the end with 3 or 4 very good chances missed in the box. As been said already we just need to keep a little calmer in and around the box & take the right option & the goals will flow again. As a team in most our games usually we always create loads more chances than the opposition, just need that extra bit of composure and the goals will start to fly in again.

The game could ended up 5 or 6 goals to us & 3 or 4 to them the way the opposition set up there formation which felt like a free for all for them bar one or two lads staying at the back. Really we should of taken advantage of that but it was one of them nights the ball just seemed not to stick on the deck and first touches were a little off.

We started very well but the whole flow of the game went to pot after that, It felt the ball was just pinging around the park with no balance or control what so ever for the rest of the match.

Loads of players were not playing at there best (me included) so its a simple case of thats the rustiness gone now and lets all step it up next Tues as team, no shouting when things dont work out & its just encouragement from now on. That has to apply to everyone now & always look for the simple pass to your teammate and we will quickly start getting back to our best.

A point is not the worst start considering the conditions & rustiness, lets get back to winning ways next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Redmen Revival, your players are welcome to post here, but cut the crap.

Keep it civil and intelligent, thanks

Advertisement