Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Epic e34 build ---> from Oil burner to M70 V12

• 27-03-2012 7:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Thought I would throw this up. Something different for a change !!
    Few BMW haters on here, which is fair enough, but............. Just for the amount of work and attention to detail, its worthy of a post IMO.

Robbed from Bimmerforums, also stuck it up on BMW-driver for ****s & Giggles.......

DSC06828-Small-.jpg

To :

DSC06891.sized.jpg

DSC00432.sized.jpg

DSC01234.sized.jpg?1332458423

Full Thread... (Bimmerforums)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Annuv

Amazing, oh to have the knowledge, skills, patience, money, balls to be able to do that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I love the mechanical end of it, but I think the direction he took with the exterior is a bit of a pity. I'd have kept it looking like a 524td, steelies and all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Looks like you didn't read it yourself :v

It's a M73 from a 554i :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Looks like you didn't read it yourself :v

It's a M73 from a 554i :P
    554i??
    Its a M73 from a 750i, which is impressive, but still less BHP than the S38 M5 (or S50B32 M3) that should go with that badge.
    Anan1 wrote: »
    I love the mechanical end of it, but I think the direction he took with the exterior is a bit of a pity. I'd have kept it looking like a 524td, steelies and all.
    It looked woeful!

Matt Simis wrote: »
    554i??
    Its a M73 from a 750i, which is impressive, but still less BHP than the S38 M5 (or S50B32 M3) that should go with that badge.

I was being sarcastic cos I actually read the thing, everyone saying to put 554i badges on it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

I can appreciate what's been done here but if you're going to do it at all, I don't see why he didn't go further and get the engine to match the badges.
    Just as bad as lads driving 318i's with M3 badges, yeah it has more power but it's still not an M5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Looks like he's not afraid to use the car anyhow! :)

I was being sarcastic cos I actually read the thing, everyone saying to put 554i badges on it :D

Ah right. I agreed with the suggestions to put 550i on it, not only technically more correct, but more eye catching than the played out M5 badge.

Bonus video from a similar one but with a proper (6speed) gearbox (stolen from BMW-Driver.net):

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

The work involved is simply mind blowing, absolutely amazing.

Peoples view on the badge is a bit OTT I think. With the amount of work he's put into it, let him stick whatever he likes on the back.

delly wrote: »
    Peoples view on the badge is a bit OTT I think. With the amount of work he's put into it, let him stick whatever he likes on the back.
    No one is stopping him, they just dont like it, which is their opinion; its tacky and detracts from all his work..

• Advertisement

Weird how someone so capable would attempt to drive a diesel through water that deep though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

He also crashed it as well... :)

Good/knowledgeable with cars does not equal good driver - which a lot of people in general need to learn.. :)

Stunning car though - he could put any badge on he likes for the amount of work he's done. A lot of jealously on that thread debating it.

No one is stopping him, they just dont like it, which is their opinion; its tacky and detracts from all his work..

Not in the slightest, if it was a 320d and he just stuck the badges on and nothing else, that's understandable, but there's a giant lump of a v12 in there and he had a valid reason for not using the M5 engine. The car is, for all intents and purposes, an M5 until you actually look at the engine code, and that's all that's in it.

Not in the slightest, if it was a 320d and he just stuck the badges on and nothing else, that's understandable, but there's a giant lump of a v12 in there and he had a valid reason for not using the M5 engine. The car is, for all intents and purposes, an M5 until you actually look at the engine code, and that's all that's in it.

I'd kinda go along with you here but the problem BMW fanatics will have will be that an M5 isn't just an engine, or the parts (which he used neither of, other than the cosmetic bits it seems?) etc... it was how it came out of the factory.

The problem with this particular guy and the M5 badge is... well, there's very little M5 in it.
    It may have similar performance etc but it's not an M5, or even really that close to it.

It would be like having a E60 540i and tarting it up with gills and exhausts and badging it as an M5.
    Or like having a E90 335i remapped and saying it's an M3... while they may have similar performances, they're not M cars.

M cars are special! :)

Well no, it isnt, at all. Its not even an engine 'code' difference, its an entirely different type engine and at that, its not even the 'S" (BMW M engine) version of that engine! Its the boulevard cruiser M7x series engine.
    An M5 is a product with specific attributes, its not just sticking a faster engine in any random BMW.

My 850CSi has BMW specific M Springs, Msport kit, was assembled by BMW M by hand, has a BMW M engine but its not called an "M8".

Vertakill wrote: »
    I'd kinda go along with you here but the problem BMW fanatics will have will be that an M5 isn't just an engine, or the parts (which he used neither of, other than the cosmetic bits it seems?) etc... it was how it came out of the factory.
    Pff, nothing fanatical about it. You have an M3, would you think if someone got a 320d and put something random in it, like a 540i engine, would it be then an M3, just like yours?

its not even the 'S" (BMW M engine) version of that engine! Its the boulevard cruiser M7x series engine.

This is one thing I meant to mention in my last post.
    It's not like it was another tuned engine thrown in instead of the M5's... it's a 7 series engine which was never created with the same intentions as an M5.
    Pff, nothing fanatical about it. You have an M3, would you think if someone got a 320d and put something random in it, like a 540i engine, would it be then an M3, just like yours?

Well, it wouldn't annoy me THAT much. It might annoy me if it was very similar performance-wise to an M3 and it was pulling the wool over peoples eyes but it's fairly obvious when it's a 320d!

People will always do stupid crap like that but they'll only fool a complete tool so I don't mind what they do - it's funny when you pull up along side them and they try to busy themselves with something so they don't have to look at you. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,709 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I would have left the exterior exactly the way it was and just go for the internals, the V12 (nice) and an autobox from an E38

Rat look sleeper FTW, could even suprise a real M5 at the traffic lights :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Whatever anyone says it's still a class machine and any self respecting petrolhead won't say no to it. Even an BMW anty-fanboy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

definitley not an M5, doesnt need to be badged M5 but is a stunning machine anyway. Id badge it 554i or not at all

Whatever anyone says it's still a class machine and any self respecting petrolhead won't say no to it. Even an BMW anty-fanboy.

Oh of course - I don't think anyone disagrees with that one bit. I absolutely love it and I don't have a problem really with the badge as much as others.

My post(s) were just to explain why a portion of the audience will think the M5 badge on it is silly.

unkel wrote: »
    I would have left the exterior exactly the way it was and just go for the internals, the V12 (nice) and an autobox from an E38

Rat look sleeper FTW, could even suprise a real M5 at the traffic lights :D

Rofl, it looks bloody horrendous to begin with! But I know, that's exactly how you would want it ! :)

• Advertisement

Oh of course - I don't think anyone disagrees with that one bit. I absolutely love it and I don't have a problem really with the badge as much as others.

My post(s) were just to explain why a portion of the audience will think the M5 badge on it is silly.

Rofl, it looks bloody horrendous to begin with! But I know, that's exactly how you would want it ! :)

It is silly, but it would not put me off to grab keys and drive it like I stole it... Well... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,709 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The only mod I'd consider is a 518td badge :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Stunning, I love those threads!

Bizarre combination though, if he wanted to go down the M5 route, he should have stuck a 4.9L S62 in there. The V12 is very special though and no doubt he got it for nearly nothing, S62s always have a value.

Love the way the dual air intakes fit perfectly, gotta admire dedication like that. My favourite picture is the M73 sitting there like new. Fair play to him.

Stunning, I love those threads!

Bizarre combination though, if he wanted to go down the M5 route, he should have stuck a 4.9L S62 in there. The V12 is very special though and no doubt he got it for nearly nothing, S62s always have a value.

Love the way the dual air intakes fit perfectly, gotta admire dedication like that. My favourite picture is the M73 sitting there like new. Fair play to him.

Me too! Love the picture projects.

Threads like this are what make you think twice about when you say to yourself "ah sure I'll do it tomorrow" having seen this guys dedication!

Now don't get me wrong, I'd happily take the car and I've voiced my opinions on German cars plenty of times around here BUT, if I had that car, I'd sell the M5 body parts, keep it looking standard but with a nice spec and spend the money I make on performance mods. I'm sure there's more to come out of that engine than 295BHP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

The m73s are INCREDIBLY difficult to tune, primarily due to software issues, they're very hard to crack. Alpina got 430bhp out of the M73 with the B12, but they had full access to BMWs software, not to mention completely different fuel injection, pistons, camshaft, intakes etc etc.

You'd be better off just finding a B12. :)

Well that's that then, he bought the wrong engine! :pac:

It's only a '89. I'd give him €200 for it. What a fool, couldn't keep petrol in it. What could have possibly made him to replace a daysul with this lump? If I had a M5 I'd get it fitted with a 1.9 TDi and removed all of the spoilers and wide wheels to make it more economical to run.

;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭randy hickey

samih wrote: »
    It's only a '89. I'd give him €200 for it. What a fool, couldn't keep petrol in it. What could have possibly made him to replace a daysul with this lump? If I had a M5 I'd get it fitted with a 1.9 TDi and removed all of the spoilers and wide wheels to make it more economical to run.

;-)

Post of the month!!:D

• Advertisement

CianRyan wrote: »
    Now don't get me wrong, I'd happily take the car and I've voiced my opinions on German cars plenty of times around here BUT, if I had that car, I'd sell the M5 body parts, keep it looking standard but with a nice spec and spend the money I make on performance mods. I'm sure there's more to come out of that engine than 295BHP.
    If he had used the older M70 (5.0 V12) engine it could be tuned to 340bhp. The M73 is not as tunable but is more efficient.. which is hardly the point of the build.

If he had used the older M70 (5.0 V12) engine it could be tuned to 340bhp. The M73 is not as tunable but is more efficient.. which is hardly the point of the build.

now those are latvian plates, right? i am not from latvia, but from lithuania and our countries would not be that far away from the way of living.

so i bet he got that engine cheaply, because 7 series are quite often there as they/we did not had stupid tax on top of the petrol price, so the only thing that would put away you from buying one: can you afford petrol and parts for it.

so that biuld is not much done for max performance, but for max use out of parts he can get in there. If he did it all himself, then the rest of the parts would not have been so bank breaking. Getting something like M5 engine there is quite hard, let alone M5 itself. ( know m70 is not m5 engine, i am just saying :) ).

the short version: he was using parts he could hands on, not something specific that he would need to hunt down?

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Was just doing some wikipedia-ing about the old M5s and found this
    It is rumored that the test drivers of the E34 M5 could determine who or what team made each specific M5, due to characteristic quirks of the handbuilt nature of the E34 M5

I suppose the M cars really are (were?) special and not just a big engine :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

now those are latvian plates, right? i am not from latvia, but from lithuania and our countries would not be that far away from the way of living.

so i bet he got that engine cheaply, because 7 series are quite often there as they/we did not had stupid tax on top of the petrol price, so the only thing that would put away you from buying one: can you afford petrol and parts for it.

so that biuld is not much done for max performance, but for max use out of parts he can get in there. If he did it all himself, then the rest of the parts would not have been so bank breaking. Getting something like M5 engine there is quite hard, let alone M5 itself. ( know m70 is not m5 engine, i am just saying :) ).

the short version: he was using parts he could hands on, not something specific that he would need to hunt down?

Who knows why he did that. You can pick up good e34 M5 for around 6k-7k euro on the continent. Surely that build must have cost him close to that and he still doesn't have an M5...

Edit: Thinking of it again an M5 2 years ago would have probably cost way more than 6k-7k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

The problem with this particular guy and the M5 badge is... well, there's very little M5 in it.
    It may have similar performance etc but it's not an M5, or even really that close to it.

It would be like having a E60 540i and tarting it up with gills and exhausts and badging it as an M5.
    Or like having a E90 335i remapped and saying it's an M3... while they may have similar performances, they're not M cars.

M cars are special! :)

I agree a bit, I think it would have looked much better if he would have put something like 550 i on the back or something like it, making it a bit more unique...

conzymaher wrote: »
    Was just doing some wikipedia-ing about the old M5s and found this

I suppose the M cars really are (were?) special and not just a big engine :cool:

Well the thing is with e34 m5 that it was the last hand built M series BMW. It brings it more in to super car territory then mass production fast car.

This is why it is special M car and the reason why I want on of these e34 M5, while being more of a jap head myself.

• Advertisement

but43r wrote: »
    Who knows why he did that. You can pick up good e34 M5 for around 6k-7k euro on the continent. Surely that build must have cost him close to that and he still doesn't have an M5...

Edit: Thinking of it again an M5 2 years ago would have probably cost way more than 6k-7k.

There are people who love the process of building something epic and unique, then just go amd buy something that is "better".

There are people who love the process of building something epic and unique, then just go amd buy something that is "better".

Why are you putting better in quotes? An M5 IS better in every way.
    Don't get me wrong - it's amazing what that man has done to his e34 but it's all a bit pointless when you could have the real deal for similar money (I have no idea how much he spent building his e34 - if it worked out much cheaper than buying an M5 then fair enough).

Why are you putting better in quotes? An M5 IS better in every way.
    Don't get me wrong - it's amazing what that man has done to his e34 but it's all a bit pointless when you could have the real deal for similar money (I have no idea how much he spent building his e34 - if it worked out much cheaper than buying an M5 then fair enough).
    You misssing the point.

But the M70 is the cheaper more common engine.. the M73 is the rarer more expensive one..!?
    Im the former for sure, but that doesnt apply here. There are several odd design choices and again, I think he cheapens his work by putting an M5 badge on it. Now he just looks like someone that couldnt afford an M5. And years of effort dont cover up the fact his car is inferior to an M5 in most ways measurable.

Even with an S70 or supercharged M70, putting an M5 badge on it is as retarded as putting a VVTI badge on it, seriously isnt this obvious? Its the name of a very different car.

PS: FWIW you can buy E34 M5s cheaper in UK and Ireland than anywhere, like sub-3000 now.

Jesus lads, you are like broken record with that badge, I don't even mentioned that, but you still getting back to to it.

P.s it's rarer, but what do you know about situation?! Maybe his friend gave him that engine from his crashed BMW for pennies? So what, he will still go and get something more expencive?

• Advertisement

Jesus lads, you are like broken record with that badge, I don't even mentioned that, but you still getting back to to it.

P.s it's rarer, but what do you know about situation?! Maybe his friend gave him that engine from his crashed BMW for pennies? So what, he will still go and get something more expencive?

Well, the fact you keep drawing parallels between this and the E34 M5 makes it look like you are defending his rebadging!

I dont care what engine he used, I was just replying to the question on the tuning potiential of that engine, ie is weaker than its predecessor and its an odd choice to make a build around. Without tuning, its the better engine.
    How he got it doesnt make less odd, or right or wrong, its just an observation.

You misssing the point.

No, he's missing the point (and I think you are too).

As I was saying - it's an amazing build and fair play to him for doing it but it's still not an M5.

As I was saying - if he could build it much cheaper than he could by an M5 then fair play, I can see the point (it's still not comparable to an M5 - and he's trying to do it by putting an M5 badge on it). If however the build cost him close to what you would pay for an M5 then I don't see the point.

Jesus... Right in earlyer post I did not defended him on that badge and of people would pay attention they would see it.
    Then I newer said it is better then m5, but for some people something unique and self build is better for them, then just buying a standart thing. Plus prices for cars cannot be compared like this. Cars in there and car prices in uk are different. Plus you can't use car bough in uk I'm there, due to steering wheel being on other side.
    Then ofc, the engine part. He clearly showed that it was not a project where he bough a shell of e34, then looking for engine to specially put in there. He had crapy e34 which was on its death so for **** and giggles he looked what could he do. I am prety sure he was looking more in to bargain parts and do it yourself, then sitting in front of the screen and checking which engine will produce more hp.

In the end of the day he wanted e34 with w12 in it. He made it him
    Self and he is happy. He wanted that m5 bade so he sticked in there.
    Just try to be happy for the lad who did something unique, is that so hard to do?

Then I newer said it is better then m5, but for some people something unique and self build is better for them, then just buying a standart thing.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

okay, if you want nitpick, then knock yourself out. Engish is not my first language, so i can put it way more simple way. if that gives you pleasure and you decide that it is worth draging thread on this bull**** arguing, that is just obvious what was ment, then you are a champ m8. :rolleyes:

Just try to be happy for the lad who did something unique, is that so hard to do?

Homer Simpson: Hey, Flanders, you're the worst coach this team has ever had!
    Marge Simpson: He's the only coach this team has ever had. And the season hasn't even started yet.
    Homer Simpson: Yeah, well, he's... wearing that hat like an idiot.
    Marge Simpson: You know, Homer, it's very easy to criticize.
    Homer Simpson: Fun too.

okay, if you want nitpick, then knock yourself out. Engish is not my first language, so i can put it way more simple way. if that gives you pleasure and you decide that it is worth draging thread on this bull**** arguing, that is just obvious what was ment, then you are a champ m8. :rolleyes:

English is not my first language either btw :)

I too think that what he did to his e34 is absolutely amazing.
    In earlier comment you referred to M5 as being "better" (note - better is in quotes). Fair enough if you weren't implying that diesel E34 with M73 engine is better than E34 M5, it's just looked like that with the quotes.

Anyway - we're going waaaaay off topic here.

Homer Simpson: Hey, Flanders, you're the worst coach this team has ever had!
    Marge Simpson: He's the only coach this team has ever had. And the season hasn't even started yet.
    Homer Simpson: Yeah, well, he's... wearing that hat like an idiot.
    Marge Simpson: You know, Homer, it's very easy to criticize.
    Homer Simpson: Fun too.

that was funny indeed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

The guy put whole engine together,got dozens of new parts fitted ,resprayed it,put wiring in, and all of the inside,when average billiy joe here cant replace a spark plug or a flat Tyre.And every second post is about the freaking badge,maybe he could bought an m5,but so does every c*nt aswell who has money,but no brains whats under the hood.

• Advertisement
Advertisement