Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Euro 2012 Thread

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Hi, does anyone know what date in May the squad has to be chosen by? I was able to find this info for the world cup 2 years ago, where they had to pick a preliminary squad by a certain date and then the final squad by a certain date...

but I can't find info for Euro's, anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Good to see we will be playing two of the three group matches in green.

Seeing the players in white at a tournament brings back too many bad memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Good to see we will be playing two of the three group matches in green.

Seeing the players in white at a tournament brings back too many bad memories.

Have to ask but why wouldn't we be playing all 3 games in Green? It's usually only the World Cup where unnecessary colour switches occur.

Also are the colours to be used in each game posted somewhere yet? :confused:

(BTW our record under Trap playing in white during the qual campaign was W3 D1 L0 F8 A0. I'd have no problems with us playing all 6 games in white with form like that)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Don't think it's the colour of the jerseys in fairness now lads...
    With players like Mcshane, Green, Andrews and Cox how could we not be winning :pac:

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Don't think it's the colour of the jerseys in fairness now lads...
    With players like Mcshane, Green, Andrews and Cox how could we not be winning :pac:

I'd tend to agree, but you'd never know.

For instance Ireland's total record playing in green in finals is W3 D5 L1 whereas our record in white is W0 D4 L3.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    I'd tend to agree, but you'd never know.

For instance Ireland's total record playing in green in finals is W3 D5 L1 whereas our record in white is W0 D4 L3.

Well IMO I think it's a ridiculous statement to make, shouldn't matter whatever colour the jersey is, players know they're playing for their country and that should be that.

What was the standard of the teams we played in our White kit do you know compared to playing in green?

Have to ask but why wouldn't we be playing all 3 games in Green? It's usually only the World Cup where unnecessary colour switches occur.

Also are the colours to be used in each game posted somewhere yet? :confused:

(BTW our record under Trap playing in white during the qual campaign was W3 D1 L0 F8 A0. I'd have no problems with us playing all 6 games in white with form like that)

Darragh Maloney mentioned it on RTE radio this morning. We will play in green against Croatia and Spain, white against Italy.

We have never won a match at a tournament wearing white, so it is a bit of a jinx colour.

Well IMO I think it's a ridiculous statement to make, shouldn't matter whatever colour the jersey is, players know they're playing for their country and that should be that.

What was the standard of the teams we played in our White kit do you know compared to playing in green?

Nah I don't think colour makes that much of a difference to be honest but it's just an interesting and fun thing to look at.

With so few games to choose from you can never get a perfectly even spread of quality in teams but for instance we did beat Italy in green and lose to them in white. On the other end of the scale we beat Saudi Arabia in green and then drew 0-0 with Egypt in white (generally accepted to be our worst ever performance in a finals game - famously not even registering a shot on target). By comparison we've played Holland more times in finals than any other team and have lost to them in both green and white. Our only result against them was in white so the colour thing doesn't really hold.

Like I say it's just a bit of fun. If we win Euro 2012 wearing white in every game it'll be fine by me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭briany

White, Green, neither have the jinx potential of this monstrosity.

r8a5v4.jpg

McAteer's horrible Kung Fu tackle re-enters my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Horrible? It was a perfect kung fu tackle :pac:

Yeah, strange how that incident doesn't get as many replays on tv as his goal v Holland.

1. Lost the game
    2. Kung fu kick
    3. Orange jersey
    4. Those haircuts

A dark day in Irish football history!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭Patser

For those humming and hawwing about making the trip to Poland, an RTE article on why you should go and what you could miss out on. Big on moments from previous tournaments

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/international/2012/0419/317737-euro-2012-should-i-stay-or-should-i-go/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

mystic86 wrote: »
    Hi, does anyone know what date in May the squad has to be chosen by? I was able to find this info for the world cup 2 years ago, where they had to pick a preliminary squad by a certain date and then the final squad by a certain date...

but I can't find info for Euro's, anybody know?

bump... anybody know??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Yeah, strange how that incident doesn't get as many replays on tv as his goal v Holland.

1. Lost the game
    2. Kung fu kick
    3. Orange jersey
    4. Those haircuts

A dark day in Irish football history!

The pointlessness of it, the over the top violence, combined with the backing track....happening in a stadium....

I cant think of anything else but this :pac:

Seems I can only find a Spanish version, but you remember the jist :pac:

Fcuk sake, mean this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WhbyOR3J1w&feature=related

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Green:

Enlgland (won)
    Russia (drew)
    Holland (lost)
    England (drew)
    Romania (drew)
    Italy (won)
    Cameroon (drew)
    Germany (drew)
    Saudi Arabia (won)

White:
    Egypt (drew)
    Holland (drew)
    Italy (lost)
    Mexico (lost)
    Norway (drew)
    Holland (lost)
    Spain (drew)

I think the above is correct anyway

I'd suggest actually that under Trap, Ireland's better performances have come in the away colours. Under Trap, Ireland have become a team who are capable of grinding out away results where sometimes, like in Moscow, they have no real business coming away with anything so I've no problem with them being the 'away' side.

kfallon wrote: »
    Green:

Enlgland (won)
    Russia (drew)
    Holland (lost)
    England (drew)
    Romania (drew)
    Italy (won)
    Cameroon (drew)
    Germany (drew)
    Saudi Arabia (won)

White:
    Egypt (drew)
    Holland (drew)
    Italy (lost)
    Mexico (lost)

Norway (drew)
    Holland (lost)
    Spain (drew)

I think the above is correct anyway
    That explains it really then, all are/were a higher standard of quality so I wouldn't really blame it one the jersey.

That explains it really then, all are/were a higher standard of quality so I wouldn't really blame it one the jersey.

Tho in fairness every one of those teams we played in Green (bar Saudi and maybe England 88) were better than us also.

Incidentaly I don't think Mexico 94 were a good team. They beat us but it was the conditions (noon kick-off in Orlando in Summer) that beat us moreso than the oppositon. A pressing game will nearly always fail against a good passing game when the temp is high (same thing happened v Holland 88). IMHO We'd have beat Mexico easily on a rainy Tuesday at the Britannia (if it had existed back then). :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭TaosHum

Bit worried about the form of our strikers going into the tournament. Looking at the 5 guys who will probably go:

Kevin Doyle: Cant get into an all but relegated Wolves side and has been poor for large parts of the season.

Shane Long:Started off the season well, but since he got injured he has struggled for form. Cant hold down a regular place at the moment.

Robbie Keane: Has started off well with DC and did well in his stint with Villa. Is probably our only striker in goalscoring form at the moment.

Simon Cox: Perennial sub for West Brom and cant get near the starting line-up.

John Walters: Regular for Stoke and is in decent form. However goals are not coming easy for him (dont think he has scored in 2012.)

Going on form and if there are no injuries, then Keane and Walters should really start.

TaosHum wrote: »
    John Walters: Regular for Stoke and is in decent form. However goals are not coming easy for him (dont think he has scored in 2012.)

Going on form and if there are no injuries, then Keane and Walters should really start.

I agree. Walters has been a good strike partner for Robbie. He has a bit of danger about him, a physicality and he's not afraid to harass a defense and have a good go. I think if that if he did play, he wouldn't be anonymous the way I think the other three would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

TaosHum wrote: »
    Bit worried about the form of our strikers going into the tournament. Looking at the 5 guys who will probably go:

Kevin Doyle: Cant get into an all but relegated Wolves side and has been poor for large parts of the season.

Shane Long:Started off the season well, but since he got injured he has struggled for form. Cant hold down a regular place at the moment.

Robbie Keane: Has started off well with DC and did well in his stint with Villa. Is probably our only striker in goalscoring form at the moment.

Simon Cox: Perennial sub for West Brom and cant get near the starting line-up.

Add to that list Dunne and Hunt(injured),McGeady,Whelan, Andrews who are benchwarming.

McCarthy,McClean and Wilson are of the few playing regular,will they be picked?

Will Andy Keogh squeeze in ahead of Doyle with his latest form?

Advertisement