Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
26-03-2012, 10:15   #31
wexford12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie_Monster View Post


Surely short journeys are much better for driver because of the ridiculously high standing charge. €7 x 6 short journeys an hour are better than one long one worth €30, no?

Six journeys an hour lol where I did 7 the whole of Saturday night. I agree that no driver should be rude or shout about what the fare is but its not easy sitting in line for an hour or so with money wories and getting a €5 fare.
I know that's life and that's the job we picked etc etc. I have found myself not been able to talk to a customer because of the last one pissed me of so much sometimes its best to sit and say nothing lol
wexford12 is offline  
Advertisement
26-03-2012, 10:32   #32
Zulu
Registered User
 
Zulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dublin.
Posts: 8,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
The customer can pick any taxi they want in the queue.
Technically, yes. But it doesn't really happen in practice.

I've always taken the first taxi, but a friend of mine was accused of being a racist because they didn't take the first car and the driver happened to be a foreign national. Who wants to be publicly accused of being a racist? Also, who wants to get into a "thing" with the first driver. Personally I find it's just a whole lot easier to hop into the first car - even if it is a crock of shit.

That said, i really should make a point of selecting nicer cars...

Also, at the airport, you are told which car to take.
Zulu is online now  
Thanks from:
26-03-2012, 10:35   #33
Zulu
Registered User
 
Zulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dublin.
Posts: 8,978
Quote:
Originally Posted by wexford12 View Post
I agree that no driver should be rude or shout about what the fare is but its not easy sitting in line for an hour or so with money wories and getting a €5 fare.
Well, we all have money worries. And sadly for you, the more drivers that grumble about low fares, the less inclined the public will be to get into a taxi.
Zulu is online now  
26-03-2012, 11:01   #34
Zascar
Moderator
 
Zascar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Dublin
Posts: 10,242
Something similar happened to me a while ago – I came home from holiday with my girlfriend and we were going to her house from the Airport.. We went outside and a taxi was there the man politely took our bags and asked where we were going. She told him XXX Road, Swords. We got into the taxi and he pulled off – and then said “Sorry, where did you say you were going” I replied: XXX Road, swords. He nearly crashed. He went bananas ranting and raving. Saying he was 3 hours at the rank and it would only be a 12 euro fair. He said I should have said it to him and he would have sent me to the back of the queue. I had no idea I usually get the air bus and I had no noticed a big queue of taxi’s at all. I would have happily got a different taxi (at the departures level even – get one dropping someone else off) – but the fact is we told him where we were going and it was his fault he did not listen properly.

Long story short because of his hugely inappropriate behaviour, and the way I was trying to handle the situation to calm it down, it caused a fight between myself and my girlfriend which almost never happens. She was absolutely infuriated by the situation and upset her for the rest of the evening. He p1ssed me off no end.

They should either have some sign there or just clearly tell the taxi drivers to check before letting anyone else into their cab. And any driver making a woman burst into tears should be reprimanded.

I know its crappy for the taxi drivers these days but I have little sympathy for them. Like many, I remember the many years of the late 90’s and early 2000’s when there were almost no taxi’s in Dublin. You’d spend hours walking the streets looking for a taxi, you’d eventually flag one down – they would ask you where you were going – and if it was far away they would drive off - as they made more money short journeys. So 10 years later the tables have turned, and few people really care. I really have a dislike for them as a whole, there is a very disproportionate amount of real w@ankers working that job. And don’t even get me started on their blatant disregard for the rules of the road...
Zascar is offline  
26-03-2012, 12:24   #35
zagmund
Registered User
 
zagmund's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,789
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
The customer can pick any taxi they want in the queue.
I know this is the theory. There are enough posts here on boards.ie to indicate that some of the drivers don't quite get this concept though and 'inisist' that you go to the top.

I think most people couldn't be arsed debating the finer points of the relevant pieces of legislation with the drivers and will (like me and others who have posted here) just avoid the rank entirely and flag someone down.

z
zagmund is offline  
Advertisement
26-03-2012, 13:19   #36
EricPraline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
The customer can pick any taxi they want in the queue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n97 mini View Post
A possible workaround is to pick the last cab in the rank. He/she should have nothing to complain about?
This is nice in theory. But as others pointed out, good luck trying that in practice. I have been verbally abused before for not taking the first taxi in the rank - simply because the first driver was too busy on his phone to notice a potential customer. I have also seen women verbally abused at taxi ranks by aggressive drivers.

As others have suggested, it's best to avoid ranks where possible and hail on the street.

Incidentally this idea of treating potential customers badly simply because business is bad doesn't just relate to taxis - it seems rife in many industries in Ireland. But as far as taxis are concerned, it's the personal safety issue that's particularly worrying. Nobody wants to be treated like the OP where she/he is stuck in a confined space with an angry, aggressive individual (and paying for the privilege of it).
EricPraline is offline  
(3) thanks from:
26-03-2012, 13:22   #37
Losty Dublin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagmund View Post
I know this is the theory. There are enough posts here on boards.ie to indicate that some of the drivers don't quite get this concept though and 'inisist' that you go to the top.

I think most people couldn't be arsed debating the finer points of the relevant pieces of legislation with the drivers and will (like me and others who have posted here) just avoid the rank entirely and flag someone down.

z
Just to make a small clarification on this, Zagamund.

When the idea of choosing a car at a rank is in many ways a good call, The drivers were not informed of this in advance. The only notification being a small paragraph hidden in a column of a quarterly sent out to drivers and plate owners so it was easily missed by most people. Add to it how it as good as erases the principle of a queue (first come first served), it is easy to see how it serves to annoy and bemuse some people, even if well meant.
Losty Dublin is offline  
26-03-2012, 13:53   #38
Mrs OBumble
Moderator
 
Mrs OBumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Galway
Posts: 9,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by wexford12 View Post
I have found myself not been able to talk to a customer because of the last one pissed me of so much sometimes its best to sit and say nothing lol
I'm glad you're getting frequent fares.

And if you pick me up, I really appreciate it when you zip up the lip, and don't make me listen to your views of politics, sport or whatever else is on your mind. Just focus on driving safely and quickly, and I'll be a happy customer. And if it's a ridiculously short ride (E6 or less) I'll throw you and extra euro or two.
Mrs OBumble is offline  
26-03-2012, 15:44   #39
Capt'n Midnight
00:00
 
Capt'n Midnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 46,090
a driver in a rank isn't burning petrol , so while income is down, so are expenses
IIRC Taxi drivers have to pay to use Dublin airport, but can claim back off the passenger ?

just had at this http://taxiregulation.nationaltransp...re-calculator/

doesn't mention M50 toll or extra charge from Dublin Airport
which I assume the customer pays extra for ?
Capt'n Midnight is online now  
Advertisement
26-03-2012, 16:46   #40
CIE
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zascar View Post
Something similar happened to me a while ago – I came home from holiday with my girlfriend and we were going to her house from the Airport.. We went outside and a taxi was there the man politely took our bags and asked where we were going. She told him XXX Road, Swords. We got into the taxi and he pulled off – and then said “Sorry, where did you say you were going” I replied: XXX Road, swords. He nearly crashed. He went bananas ranting and raving. Saying he was 3 hours at the rank and it would only be a 12 euro fair. He said I should have said it to him and he would have sent me to the back of the queue. I had no idea I usually get the air bus and I had no noticed a big queue of taxi’s at all. I would have happily got a different taxi (at the departures level even – get one dropping someone else off) – but the fact is we told him where we were going and it was his fault he did not listen properly.

Long story short because of his hugely inappropriate behaviour, and the way I was trying to handle the situation to calm it down, it caused a fight between myself and my girlfriend which almost never happens. She was absolutely infuriated by the situation and upset her for the rest of the evening. He p1ssed me off no end.

They should either have some sign there or just clearly tell the taxi drivers to check before letting anyone else into their cab. And any driver making a woman burst into tears should be reprimanded.

I know its crappy for the taxi drivers these days but I have little sympathy for them. Like many, I remember the many years of the late 90’s and early 2000’s when there were almost no taxi’s in Dublin. You’d spend hours walking the streets looking for a taxi, you’d eventually flag one down – they would ask you where you were going – and if it was far away they would drive off - as they made more money short journeys. So 10 years later the tables have turned, and few people really care. I really have a dislike for them as a whole, there is a very disproportionate amount of real w@ankers working that job. And don’t even get me started on their blatant disregard for the rules of the road...
Now just imagine how bad things would be for them if Dublin Bus suddenly instituted 24-hour bus service...
CIE is offline  
Thanks from:
26-03-2012, 17:07   #41
n97 mini
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zulu View Post
I've always taken the first taxi, but a friend of mine was accused of being a racist because they didn't take the first car
By whom? The guy in the first car? What does it matter, not like you're going to see him again!
n97 mini is offline  
26-03-2012, 19:09   #42
Zulu
Registered User
 
Zulu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Dublin.
Posts: 8,978
Yea, the driver of the first car.

What does it matter? It doesn't if you're accustomed to being shouted at in public; it doesn't if you don't mind being abused in public.

Most people prefer to avoid such situations, but good for you that you don't.
Zulu is online now  
(2) thanks from:
26-03-2012, 19:43   #43
wexford12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Midnight View Post
a driver in a rank isn't burning petrol , so while income is down, so are expenses
IIRC Taxi drivers have to pay to use Dublin airport, but can claim back off the passenger ?

just had at this http://taxiregulation.nationaltransp...re-calculator/

doesn't mention M50 toll or extra charge from Dublin Airport
which I assume the customer pays extra for ?
Well thats rubbish sitting on a rank starting your engine 20 odd times to get to the top of a rank kills your car and starter motor and this can be done for maybe 10 sittings for 10 fares.
So many cars are in bits from this pratice I leave my engine running if for nothing more than heat in the car or air con
wexford12 is offline  
26-03-2012, 19:48   #44
bensweeney
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 200
Only had it once, going from Airport to Swords. wish I complained.
bensweeney is offline  
26-03-2012, 20:33   #45
oisindoyle
Closed Account
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Midnight View Post
a driver in a rank isn't burning petrol , so while income is down, so are expenses
IIRC Taxi drivers have to pay to use Dublin airport, but can claim back off the passenger ?

just had at this http://taxiregulation.nationaltransp...re-calculator/

doesn't mention M50 toll or extra charge from Dublin Airport
which I assume the customer pays extra for ?
If you read the information correctly you would have seen that it mentions the toll charge ....
What exactly are you talking about re "extra charge" from Dublin Airport??????...
Just to enlighten you and to help you stop spreading misinformation ,,,there is NO "extra charge" from Dublin Airport!

Last edited by oisindoyle; 26-03-2012 at 20:44.
oisindoyle is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet